Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#254675 01/20/2014 2:30 PM
Addict
Addict
Is there a site somewhere that lists all processors made over the last few years along with some sort of benchmark figure so that we can compare them?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Heck of a lot of info here http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Dunno if it helps you though. smile

Addict
Addict
I've been using that link for years and it has always been my #1 resource for processor info.

Anyone here and expert who can compare these two processors:

1. 1x intel Quad- Core Xeon E5-1620 v4

2. 1x intel Quad Core Xeon E3-1270 v5

Is the latter one actually better?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you load both of the spec pages at intel's website you'll see that there is a comparison button which will allow you to compare two or more products.

For this brief list of features I'll just compare what's different, and only through the first couple of sections (I encourage you to see how easy it is to actually use their site to grab information)
Intel Quad Core Xeon E5-1620 v4
Released: 2nd Quarter, 2016
Frequency (Base): 3.5
Frequency (Turbo): 3.8
Cache: 10MB
Max Memory Size Supported: 1.54TB

Intel Quad Core Xeon E3-1270 v5
Released: 4th Quarter, 2015
Frequency (Base): 3.6
Frequency (Turbo): 4.0
Cache: 8MB (SmartCache)
Max Memory Size Supported: 64GB

Just because the frequency is higher doesn't nessessarily make for a *better* processor, there are other features to keep in mind as well when comparing (such as how much memory will the system need).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 advantages
- Operating frequency of the CPU is higher than the frequency of the intel E5-1620 v4 processor.
- The intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 microprocessor is 43% more energy efficient.

Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4 advantages
- Support for faster DDR4-2400 memory and more memory channels helps to resolve memory bottlenecks and increase performance in programs, that deal with large data sets. Performance improvement in non-memory bound tasks will be much lower than 125%.
- The official price of this processor is considerably lower than the price of the intel E3-1270 v5 microprocessor.

E3-1270 v5 vs E5-1620 v4 specifications comparison
The graphs below compare the most important characteristics of the intel Xeon E5-1620 v4 and E3-1270 v5 processors. These features, together with an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a CPU performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph represents the number of additional threads, provided by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, while lighter area is for extra frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. Although the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.

SOURCE: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/401/Intel_Xeon_E5-1620_v4_vs_Intel_Xeon_E3-1270_v5.html

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Addict
Addict
Many thanks guys. Seems like overall the E5 is the better choice, especially when looking at it from the memory perspective and the higher L3 cache.

I take it the E5-1620 v4 can easily handle even a very busy UBB.threads board?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd go with the E5, if it was me buying components.

I can't really provide information on if it'll run threads well... If the server is tuned properly, with enough system memory that you're not utilizing any swap (virtual memory) it'd run well.

I have no clue what kind of server you will be replacing, but I've seen some dual socket processor machines running UBB.threads they're rocking with 96GB of ram, so your unique configuration will vary.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
Does swap only come into play once the system starts running out of RAM?

Currently server is running on: [Dual CPU] intel Xeon E5620 2.40GHz with 12GB RAM

Seems like a single E5-1620 v4 should at least handle the same load, especially as it'll be coming with 32GB RAM so plenty of memory to allocate to SQL.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, swap is utilized when the server ruins out of ram. I'd advise going dual CPU, if you're buying the hardware it'd be a total waste to find out that you need more later.

Going from two quad cores to one quad core might cause issues down the road (you basically have eight cores clocked at 2.4 and you're looking to move to 4 cores in the 3.5 range, if you go dual you will definitely be future proofing.

Have you logged in to the server and looked at resource usage? If this is a server that your host is assembling and no cash is coming out of your pocket then it's easier to try a configuration.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29