Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Hello,

How does the smiley face icon next to your user name that indicates your online function?
I was on a forum that uses UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.5.8.

When I'm logged in, the icon changes to a green color and a smiley face and hovering the mouse over the icon, it says online.

When I log out the icon still indicates I'm logged in.

When logged out, the icon is suppose to change to a gray color with no smiley face and when hovering the mouse over the icon, it says offline. Correct?

After logging out it seems that if I do not click on any of the links on the forum for awhile, it times out and the icon will change to a gray color with no smiley face and when I hover my mouse over the icon it says offline.

When I logged out on this forum the icon indicated I was Offline the instant I logged off.

What would cause such a delay in the user name icon software, for it not to detect that a user just logged out?

Thanks,


Truth Seeker
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
I believe It all depends on the setting for who is online status. which is time related.
each site can set it to what time interval they want.
the default is like 10 minutes.
But some make it longer like hours or less like 1 minute.

I never really looked into it.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Hello,

Do you know what the purpose would be to delay the indication, that a user has just logged out.

I made a error on the 1st post, UBB central forum does not instantly indicate that I logged off.

Thanks,


Truth Seeker
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Well if what i stated is true.
then you also have a ubb cache that runs on its own.
Which is triggered by time and specific activity.

Why the big concern?

This is the first time anyone has brought it up to be real time.
But in reality a lot of features here are not really real time due to the hit on server resources.

Just imagine the hit on your server if every feature was updated at the moment of activity.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by Ruben
Why the big concern?
I was reading a thread and noticed a user was online, from what his user icon was indicating, so I sent him a PM to ask him a question.
After not receiving a reply from him within a couple of minutes, I realized that he had been logged out for awhile and that there is a log out delay with the user icon indicating that..

Thanks,


Truth Seeker
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by jorb
Do you know what the purpose would be to delay the indication, that a user has just logged out.
Data caching so things don't need to be updated on every page load.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Well,
even if i was still online I don't answer every message before I leave the site.
It is the nature of the beast.
First I need to notice that my pm indicator is flashing.
Sometimes we don't.
People like SD and Gizmo probably get more messages than most and can't keep up.
That is why I opt for email notification for a reminder
Then even if I do read it, it does not mean I need to respond at that very moment.
Even though you can see that I had viewed it.
Maybe I don't have a answer at that very moment and I need to research it.
Or I just don't have time to answer right now.
Or maybe they just ignore you.

I have longtime buddies here that may not reply for a few days or not at all because they forget.
Hard to keep up with multiple PM's a day.

Also just because they show online does not mean they are viewing the site.
I leave this site open in my browser on occasion while I am sleeping.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
I'm assuming then that the Who's Online page is the real-time who's is online or users logged in information.
Correct?


Truth Seeker
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
No.
Now when you open it ,it may update from the island at that moment in time.
But if you keep the page open you will see it will update on its own. every few moments ,not real time.
Meaning if a member joins or leaves it does not update on that action, only when the cache updates
I guess you could refresh the page every second. Over and over and over again.
But what does that do?

Just FYI,
I sent Gizmo a PM like 30 minutes ago.
He has left now but never read my message or replied.

I still don't know what you are looking for.
Maybe a way to force a user to acknowledge a message?

I don't wish to sound curt!!

Another example is the wol shows you at general How do I.
02/14/14 03:42 PM it is now 4:28. because you have not changed page views. in like 40 minutes


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Ya, I was snow blowing the driveway.

I guess the question was answered on your the 1st post.
About how the user icon functions,

Originally Posted by Ruben
I believe It all depends on the setting for who is online status. which is time related.
each site can set it to what time interval they want.
the default is like 10 minutes.
But some make it longer like hours or less like 1 minute.
Thanks for the info,


Truth Seeker
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
I know what you want. it just does not work like that.
There was a initiative to change the cache to be selectable. But it never happened.
The only recourse is to contact the vendor and state so.
Maybe one day we will get it.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (CESEREL, Geoff, Gizmo), 765 guests, and 133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)