Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
D
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
I upgraded from 7.5.4.2 directly to 7.5.8 for my tiny community. It's been getting hit hard with spam at times, and I was hoping the new version would help.

I have the registration queue turned off, captchas on, test connectivity from stop forum spam showing green, and spam settings set to auto with message.

With all this, I still woke up to 2 spam messages on the board today, from users who showed bad IP and e-mail with stop forum spam.

Is there some sort of logging so I can tell if they show bad only due to being reported after registration? If this is the case, would be good to see a future enhancement also run a spam check the first X times the user tries to post.

Is it possible people are getting past if just their IP, or just their e-mail is marked bad? If so, how do I ensure people are blocked either way?

This unfortunately escalated this morning, enough that GMail returned 550 errors trying to deliver the "report spam by user" e-mail to a number of my moderators. Basically GMail classifies the spam reports as spam now, because enough have been sent.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I get these at UBBDev all the time, and one thing I've noticed is that it's commonly users that you can identify self registered to spam (as opposed to being a bot). Keep in mind that SFS works by users reporting spammers then they come up as flagged after so many reports; so it's entirely possible that someone wasn't listed as a spammer when they registered and are now listed after they've done their drive by's.

The latest build of the UBB should check both ip and email.

I've had bulk sets of users register and just not post as well, and they'll come back at a later date to spam.

I have a mod at UBBDev that detects users via the login screen, so every time they login it does a check.



I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 407 guests, and 105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)