Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
D
DcW
Offline
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
Sudden as in overnight error popping. I've made no recent changes board has run without issue for several years.
Stock script...no mods to any UBB master files...Nothing weird on site...
No changes to SQL credentials either...so I'm lost.

Here is the error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function error() on a non-object in /home/XX/XX/XXXXXXX/web/forums/libs/mysql.inc.php on line 77

UBB = Version 7.5.6

I can FTP in but I can't access board or admin panel.

Looking for guidance...pretty please.

Thank you.




Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
There are a few important security upgrades since your version.
So I would suspect you may have been hacked.
If you have ftp access and a older backup.
You can compare file counts and file contents for any changes.
Beyond compare is a good tool.

I would start with this first.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
D
DcW
Offline
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
So then....I am looking for changes in the scripts? Or the content?

Last bup is of SQL files and unfortunately it's 3 months old.

Would it be more prudent to upgrade and use existing sql data (assuming that's not hosed?).

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
well the scripts should not have changed at all.

It could also be a post that inserted a malicious script.
Upgrading will help for sure.
But if you were hacked, it would be prudent to do the first step I suggested.
the newer version will block future attempts.
But it does not clean up any prior hacks.

It is also a good idea to change all passwords including the mysql user password.
Including any user passwords that have cp access or can post using html.

Have you tried to access the ubb cp directly.
Like:
http://www.mysite.com/forums/admin/login.php

Last edited by Ruben; 05/07/2014 1:47 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
D
DcW
Offline
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
I am at real job so I can't screw with it till this eve.

http://www.mysite.com/forums/admin/login.php
Gets me this:
Fatal error: Call to a member function error() on a non-object in /home/XX/XX/XXXXXX/web/forums/libs/mysql.inc.php on line 77

I did pull the
config.inc.php
mysql.inc.php
Files via FTP to review...silly me I did not check the dates on them.

I see in config.inc.php
dbase...name...user and pwd that don't seem to make any sense. As in not what I expected.
Does the script use pointers or encrypt those items in this file?


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
The config.inc.php file is in simple plain ascii text.
So if it is hosed that would be the starting point then.
The first several lines are the most important to get running again.
Then look at all the other lines that have a url like the sessions.

It is not uncommon to loose that file and it becomes a 0 byte file.
So review it all.
The most common approach usually is to edit enough to get the site working.
Then review every item in the ubb cp and save even if it looks correct.

If truly there have been no changes you could use a backup file.
Ftp it up to the site.or edit the existing file with a simple editor like notepad that does not add any formatting.

Usually when the config file gets hosed the first error is can't connect to the database.
So it is a odd error to see what you have received.

Last edited by Ruben; 05/07/2014 3:57 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
BTW,
If you access the members area you should at least have access to the security patch for v7.5.6.
Your current version. 7.5.6pl on the right side of the screen
At least it is something better than what you have for now.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by Ruben
BTW,
If you access the members area you should at least have access to the security patch for v7.5.6.
Your current version. 7.5.6pl on the right side of the screen
At least it is something better than what you have for now.
Yeah, but anything under v7.5.8 is declared "insecure", the patch for 7.5.6 simply secures them to that build's reported exploits, not the ones discovered after the post date.

If the config file is hosed it could be just an error with the script that wiped the file (rarely happens) so it could be that you weren't hacked; do your error logs show any errors other than that one you posted?


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
I think I said!
Originally Posted by Ruben
BTW,
If you access the members area you should at least have access to the security patch for v7.5.6.
Your current version. 7.5.6pl on the right side of the screen
At least it is something better than what you have for now.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
D
DcW
Offline
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
Upon a better look-n-see the config file looks OK?

At least the values match the screen shots I took on my ipad from a couple months back when all was good.



Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Well then you are back to discovery mode.

If you can't figure it out there are resources to explore.
Open a support ticket.
Hire somebody to look into it.

But the bottom line is everyone is going to suggest as a bare minimum is to upgrade.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
D
DcW
Offline
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
I have no issue paying to upgrade or hiring help to fix it...after I screw with it for a day or so.

I have a good community who always donate to keep my board operational so I owe it to them to fix it.

I do want to thank all that responded for their advice too.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
I would still look into step 1 as I suggested.
It takes a while.

Also I would not discount that your host changed something.
PHP ,Apache versions. or config.

Remember that only ubb7.5.8 supports php>5.3


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
D
DcW
Offline
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
OK...Here is what I found.

The board seemed intact (I did back up all the SQL tables).

It did not look like any scripts were hosed.

The was a huge 6.8M SQL error file generated on 5/7...I'll be looking at that in more detail tomorrow.

I used the hosting service CP to check out the MySQL dbase.

The MySQL dbase referenced by the board was there intact and referenced properly via paths, user and password in UBB.

However, when I went to use the host company SQL admin front end it would NOT allow me to login using the password for the specified user.

At that point; I created another user and new password. I deleted the old user the one referenced by the board. Then I rebuilt that user and associated privileges.
Immediately after that I tried the board and it worked.

Being overly paranoid I then reduced the original user to nominal privileges and reconfigured UBB to use the newly created MySQL user and credentials.

I checked the admin log and found no unusual activity.

I checked the last dozen new users and found no unusual activity.

I posted and checked all the normal functions...been watching it for about 10 minutes 50 users on line so far all posting....Green lights all the way.

So far so good!

Now I have to schedule that upgrade you guys recommended!


Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
D
DcW
Offline
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
I did locate this in a SQL error log starting a day or two ago:
- You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-40, 21' at line 14


Tue, May 06 2014 05:13:42 -0500
Script: /home/XX/XX/XXXXXXX/web/forums/scripts/postlist.inc.php - Line: 511
select t1.TOPIC_ID,t1.POST_ID,t2.USER_DISPLAY_NAME,t1.TOPIC_CREATED_TIME,t1.TOPIC_LAST_REPLY_TIME,t1.TOPIC_SUBJECT,
t1.TOPIC_STATUS,t1.TOPIC_IS_APPROVED,t1.TOPIC_ICON,t1.TOPIC_VIEWS,t1.TOPIC_REPLIES,t1.TOPIC_TOTAL_RATES,
t1.TOPIC_RATING,t3.USER_NAME_COLOR,t2.USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL,t1.USER_ID,t1.TOPIC_IS_STICKY,t1.TOPIC_LAST_POSTER_ID,
t1.TOPIC_LAST_POSTER_NAME,t1.TOPIC_LAST_POST_ID,t1.TOPIC_IS_EVENT,t1.TOPIC_HAS_FILE,t1.TOPIC_HAS_POLL,t1.TOPIC_POSTER_NAME,t1.TOPIC_THUMBNAIL,t4.POST_BODY,t3.USER_GROUP_IMAGES
from ubbt_TOPICS as t1
left join ubbt_USERS as t2 on t1.USER_ID = t2.USER_ID
left join ubbt_USER_PROFILE as t3 on t1.USER_ID = t3.USER_ID
left join ubbt_POSTS as t4 on t1.POST_ID = t4.POST_ID
where t1.FORUM_ID = 1
and t1.TOPIC_IS_STICKY = '0'

AND t1.TOPIC_IS_APPROVED = '1'
ORDER BY t1.TOPIC_LAST_REPLY_TIME desc
LIMIT -40, 21
- You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-40, 21' at line 14


And a bunch of these too:

Script: - Line: Unable to connect to the database! - Too many connections

I still have to review the really big SQL error file form today.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)