Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#255502 05/10/2014 9:09 AM
For some reason when I send for a password, no email seems to go out even though It says the password is sent. Have I set something wrong? Is there a way spammers can cause this problem? Where can I manually find passwords?

Last edited by zoomway; 05/10/2014 2:53 PM. Reason: more questions
If passwords are not emailed.
Then you need to check the main email account set in UBB.
Control Panel » Primary Settings
Board Email Address:
All emails being sent out will come from this address.

Test that email account directly outside of UBB.

There is not a method to see passwords.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You may also check your spam bin; it's an all too common issue that forum emails are triggered by spam filters.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Ruben #255511 05/10/2014 4:53 PM
If passwords are not emailed.
Then you need to check the main email account set in UBB.
Control Panel » Primary Settings
Board Email Address:
All emails being sent out will come from this address.

Test that email account directly outside of UBB.

Hoo boy. Well, can you give me an example? I know that sounds dumb, but I had the board upgraded by UBB and it has my personal email address as the email address. I would've thought it would have something connected to the site address, not an AOL account. Sorry to be so logic and tech challenged. Any and all help appreciated.

You may also check your spam bin; it's an all too common issue that forum emails are triggered by spam filters.

How so, Gizmo? As you can see, I have a lackluster knowledge of the technical issues. What should the filters be set to? Does it involve the IP numbers in the ban list? Thanks, guys.

He is talking about your client email software.
That it may have been marked as spam.

What you need to do is access the email account directly send it to another email account you have access to and see if it gets delivered.
That is the first step.
Then use a email feature in ubb such as email post.

I have had my email blacklisted a multitude of times.
And it is a real trial of patience to get it resolved.

It has nothing to do with who installed UBB.
It has to do with your email host and if it is blocked by somebody.

Last edited by Ruben; 05/10/2014 5:49 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
Ruben #255514 05/10/2014 7:06 PM
He is talking about your client email software.
That it may have been marked as spam.

What you need to do is access the email account directly send it to another email account you have access to and see if it gets delivered.
That is the first step.
Then use a email feature in ubb such as email post.

I'm sitting here with a blank comic book thought bubble over my head laugh I wish I knew what you were talking about, but I just don't know how to do what you're asking me to do. I know you're putting it in the most basic terms and have to smack your forehead reading my replies, but I'm the "give me a for instance" demo of what you mean kind of person.

It has nothing to do with who installed UBB.
It has to do with your email host and if it is blocked by somebody.

No, I didn't mean the installation was at fault. I meant that if I had installed it maybe I'd know what to do, but if I installed it, I know for sure it wouldn't work. onoes Believe me I appreciate the UBB installation more than I can say. It was worth every penny!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I was meaning your ISP's server; I have no idea who they are or what they use, but there should be a "spam" folder when you check your mail.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #255522 05/10/2014 8:53 PM
I was meaning your ISP's server; I have no idea who they are or what they use, but there should be a "spam" folder when you check your mail.

I've added my board URL to my sig file. Should I change the email to one on the actual server than a private unrelated email addy? Yeah, sorry, I still have that blank thought bubble.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, I use forum@mydomain.tld just for the forums (well, it's an alias to mailer@mydomain.tld, but you get the point) and check it every so often to see if there are any problems.

zoomway #255529 05/10/2014 11:53 PM
Gizmo, you're a genius and a patient genius at that! wink One more thing on this topic. I have a practice board where I can try different styles and so forth without risking messing up my public board. It apparently had the same problem because I had logged out, but I didn't remember the password. When I requested the password, same bad result as was the case with my public board before you helped me fix the problem. How in the world can I change the email address if I can't log in anymore?

Thanks again for your help!

zoomway #255530 05/11/2014 12:07 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, do you have access to PHPMyAdmin? You could locate your user account in the _USERS table and change it directly.

Gizmo #255531 05/11/2014 2:03 AM
Believe it or not I got into my web site's control panel and into PHPMyAdmin and the _users tables. It does show my admin account and my email address, but it's simply my user registration email. What I need to change is the "Board Email Address" located on the "primary settings" page. Is that also in the PHPMyAdmin tables?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ahh, that will be in the flat file includes/config.inc.php; you'll be looking for a line that looks similar to:
Code
  'SITE_EMAIL' => '',

It's also in the Control Panel at:
CP -> Master Settings -> Primary Settings -> General Tab -> "Board EMail Address"

Gizmo #255534 05/11/2014 6:04 PM
Ahh, that will be in the flat file includes/config.inc.php; you'll be looking for a line that looks similar to:
Code:

'SITE_EMAIL' => '',

Yes, I FTPed into my account in hopes it was something I could edit directly into the file:

Code
Default board email address
if (!$config['SITE_EMAIL']) {
	$config['SITE_EMAIL'] = $user['USER_REAL_EMAIL'];
}

I hoped it would have an actual email address in the file that I could change, but sadly no.

It's also in the Control Panel at:
CP -> Master Settings -> Primary Settings -> General Tab -> "Board EMail Address"

I'd definitely go there first, unfortunately it's my admin password that I can't retrieve and so I can't go into control panel. This is my practice board, not my public board. Oh, well, happy Mother's Day to all the UBB moms out there and thank you, Gizmo for trying to remove my dunce cap smile

Gizmo #255535 05/11/2014 6:06 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Are you editing the right file? It should literally read
Code
  'SITE_EMAIL' => 'user@domain.tld',

You should be capable of editing the file in notepad and changing the email then re-uploading the file...

What the issue is the board email does not work.
You need to find a email address that does work.
by testing one to send to your self.
Then via ftp goto includes/config.inc.php
Not the file you attempted that is incorrect
Edit that file
look for
'MAX_WIDTH_IMAGE' => '',
'HOMEPAGE_TITLE' => '',
'SITE_EMAIL' => 'ruben@mysite.com',
my example above has the actual email address edited from my site.

Change that email address to a email address that works.(tested prior)
Then upload it back to the site.
then request a lost password to get it as a email message.
whatever your board email is, it appears to be blocked so you need to find a new email address to use.

Blue Man Group
zoomway #255538 05/11/2014 11:53 PM
OK, let me tell you what I've tried so far. I did ftp in and change the config.inc.php email to nick@mydomain.net. I sent for my password again after the change, but it still didn't work. So, I created a new nick at the practice board, then in phpMyAdmin, I changed that membership from "User" to "Administrator" and logged in, but it didn't see the new member I created as an administrator. It's like the changes I make in phpMyAdmin don't take. They do show up on the _USERS screen but it's like they're phantoms, because the changes don't change anything. That's where things stand now.

You said to test the email address I create in the config file. I sent an email to that address from the email addy I use as my personal email account on the board. It went through, no problem. Is that what was supposed to happen, or was it supposed to do something additional? Anyway, that's my update. Thanks for not giving up.

You sent the email in the wrong direction.
login directly to your nick@mydomain.net email account.
Then send a email from nick@mydomain.net. to your personal email account.
then check your personal email account for a new message.

Blue Man Group
Originally Posted by zoomway
OK, let me tell you what I've tried so far. I did ftp in and change the config.inc.php email to nick@mydomain.net. I sent for my password again after the change, but it still didn't work. So, I created a new nick at the practice board, then in phpMyAdmin, I changed that membership from "User" to "Administrator" and logged in, but it didn't see the new member I created as an administrator. It's like the changes I make in phpMyAdmin don't take. They do show up on the _USERS screen but it's like they're phantoms, because the changes don't change anything. That's where things stand now.

You said to test the email address I create in the config file. I sent an email to that address from the email addy I use as my personal email account on the board. It went through, no problem. Is that what was supposed to happen, or was it supposed to do something additional? Anyway, that's my update. Thanks for not giving up.
First your test board is ubb 7.3.1 not 7.5.8
If you are going to edit the database directly to give your new member name admin rights you will need to know the member id number of your new name.

Then in phpmyadmin
edit the table
USER_GROUPS
Not USERS

You will see a row with your new member number called user ID
Next to it you will see Group ID
Group ID 4 is the normal users group
Group ID 1 is the admin group

So you would add a row with your new user ID and a group ID of 1
To make your new entry a admin.

Be careful what you do.

Blue Man Group
Here's a weird, but happy update. When I went to bed last night my personal inbox was empty. This morning, however, it was filled with all my password requests laugh It's like some cork blew out allowing everything to go through. I was able to log back in finally! Thank you guys so much.

Your database advice was spot on. Now I have 2 working admin accounts if I'm ever dumb enough to log out of one without knowing the password. Woot! It does bring up something from my real/public board that I can't figure out. Maybe it needs a new thread, but I have a "newbie" group on my real board and I have captcha set for that group. It seems to cut down on spammers. However, I have it set so that after "x" amount of posts they are elevated to users. The problem is even though it does move them up to "users" the "newbies" group remains clicked and so they're still stuck with captcha. I have no idea how to solve that, but I'm so happy right now, I don't care laugh

Thanks, big time!

Originally Posted by zoomway
Here's a weird, but happy update. When I went to bed last night my personal inbox was empty. This morning, however, it was filled with all my password requests laugh It's like some cork blew out allowing everything to go through. I was able to log back in finally! Thank you guys so much.

Your database advice was spot on. Now I have 2 working admin accounts if I'm ever dumb enough to log out of one without knowing the password. Woot! It does bring up something from my real/public board that I can't figure out. Maybe it needs a new thread, but I have a "newbie" group on my real board and I have captcha set for that group. It seems to cut down on spammers. However, I have it set so that after "x" amount of posts they are elevated to users. The problem is even though it does move them up to "users" the "newbies" group remains clicked and so they're still stuck with captcha. I have no idea how to solve that, but I'm so happy right now, I don't care laugh

Thanks, big time!

Well that's another issue but I suspect that you need to review the forum permissions settings for newbie groups compared to users groups.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Sounds like your ISP may have a maximum in place for how much mail can be sent every day (assuming that the dummy and main forums both use the same hosting account and that the main site sends a lot of mail).

zoomway #255548 05/13/2014 12:36 AM
Well that's another issue but I suspect that you need to review the forum permissions settings for newbie groups compared to users groups.

I can't really tell much difference with the permissions beyond the newbies having to put in the captcha data.

Sounds like your ISP may have a maximum in place for how much mail can be sent every day (assuming that the dummy and main forums both use the same hosting account and that the main site sends a lot of mail).

No, the boards are on different servers. The practice board now has an email addy with unlimited mail capacity both coming and going. Interestingly enough it seems that the practice board will also work with my real board's email addy. I'm not sure why but it apparently does. I'm just happy both are humming along now. You guys are the best.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (rootman), 641 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29