Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
I upgraded to 7.5.8 back in February, I think. No issues.

Because our site has discussions that use Greek and Cyrillic I've always changed the character set from iso-8859-1 to utf-8 immediately during each upgrade.

But this time I forgot, so Greek and Cyrillic and other characters are not displayed correctly.

1) Can I just change the character set in languages/english/generic.php fro iso-885901 to utf-8 and move forward without hurting anything?

2) Is there any way to go in and repair the fix the posts that turned characters into code (like Χρόνια Πολ&#955)? I have this vision of one of the gurus here having encountered this and having written an sql script to do just that.

Thanks in advance for your help! We've been using UBB since 1998.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,032
Likes: 176
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,032
Likes: 176
Have a quick read through this post:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/255103#Post255103

Basically, you can do #1 with absolutely no problems.

Quote
update the language files / header meta tags from "iso-8859-1" to "utf-8" @
Control Panel > Languages > Language Editor > generic.php > CHARSET

This has no affect on the database and anyone can do this. It just simply tells browser/crawler what character set to expect/display the page as, rather than leave decision up to the browser/crawler to determine.


current developer of UBB.threads php forum software
current release: UBB.threads 8.0.1 // wip: UBB.threads 8.1.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 199
Likes: 9
Thanks!

I was able to upate from "iso-8859-1" to "utf-8" and post successfully with non-English characters.

Existing posts are still affected. Is there any way to update them (my second question above)?


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)