Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#255859 09/15/2014 8:00 PM
Hi to All,
We are experiencing a problem with a spammer on our forum, www.outdoorking.com (UBB 7.5.8). As an admin on our site, I go to the control panel, report him as a spammer and then permanently ban him, but he just changes his IP address and re-registers once again.
He must be human and not a bot because we have 'capture' installed and he defeats that....he sometime registers with new username up to 5 times a night all with the same type of username...sequential letters and then random numbers (eg.) hijklmn60932 etc.
He is driving us insane....we have tried banning the IP range he uses, but he seems to find a new IP range immediately and he's back again.

Any suggestions on how we can stop this idiot without having to resort to approving every new member before they can then post....as this tends to put potential new members off...?
Kindest Regards,
Darryl
Admin, OutdoorKing Forum.

Many thanks,
Kindest Regards,
Darryl
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hey Darryl, have you looked into enabling the Stop Forum Spam feature in 7.5.7+? Does a pretty efficient job of keeping spammers at bay, especially here.

The "Captcha" feature is far from an end all be all, especially since there are ways of defeating them in this day and age.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
These days with all the bots, it's a must to manually approve all new registrations.

But like Gizmo said, also enable Stop Forum Spam. It makes the bogus accounts easy to spot when you check your queue.

Unfortunately, I get about 100 bogus registrations a day I need to delete.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is a mod that extends the Stop Forum Spam feature as well at UBBDev for login detection; will ensure those sleepers who got through the registration process won't be an issue (as chances are if they got by your check they do it on other sites as well and will get flagged there which will stop them when they try to login in the future).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Stop Forum Spam - Login Detection (for UBBT 7.5.7 and up):
https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/319158

Thanks Gizmo thumbsup

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Thanks Guys for the replies, I will contact our site owner and administrator Bruce and make sure your recommendations are put in place. wink
Many thanks again,
Kindest regards,
Darryl

Many thanks,
Kindest Regards,
Darryl

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, Nightcrawler), 411 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29