Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Hi everyone,

It's been a while, which is a testament to all the help I have received. But, I have another question, one I believe I have asked or alluded to before.

All new applicantants come through the Registration Queue. I receive an email to approve or not approve the applicant. This has become MUCH easier since installing the full version of Gizmo's SPAM program.

The problem is that now I have been able to whittle the board admins down from nine to two. One is the host admin, the other is the board admin (I) if that is what you call it. I don't get along too well with the host admin because he is, well, a jerk. Others on here can testify to that.

The biggest issue is that Amazing Charts, the EMR I use, hosts the forum. I have been the admin on the board for around six of the 10 years it has been in existence. It is impossible to describe the job I have done for them, that otherwise would not have been known about, much less done. Like the new version 7.5.8 from x.7, which had some major issues. That was a nightmare getting that done, which should have taken a day or so took weeks, again, as someone on here could attest to. I could go on and on. But, they recognize it as I get free support and updates annually.

So, after all that, here is my issue. Even though I generally handle the registration queue 95% of the time, generally well within 24 hours, there was a day I got sick and a registrant had to wait 48 hours for a decision. He complained. And Amazing Charts decided to make two support people admins just so they could help with the queue. Maybe I am an ego freak I don't know. But, I just had an issue with have two admins who had never used the board and had never even been a mod, being an admin. But, since they were behind the scenes and didn't really know the full power of what they had, e.g. full access to the Control Panel, I just let it go.

Then I noticed a new mod on the board, and I went to the admin logs and saw that one of the "admins" had promoted another AC employee so he could answer questions in a forum. Now, the only reason for him to be a mod, since he can answer questions just like anyone, is for name recognition at the bottom of the forum. Again, maybe this is my issue with my ego, but the mods and global mods I have appointed have earned it, have been there now for over three years and understand their "powers" and usefulness to the board.

So, here is my question based on the fact that I wish to demote these unnecessary admins. I realize that in order to do what they are doing with the queue, they have to be admins. The only way to change that would be if there were some way I could make them mods and give them the authority to still make decisions in the queue. I have been told this can't be done. The second option, which I believe can be done, is to get rid of the entire process and let everyone through, then deal with them later if they SPAM. I know you can do that thing where they can only post in a certain area for ten days or whatever.

Sorry for the novel, but I had pretty much forgotten about these two admins until they are deciding on who should be a mod or not. At the very least, the company could have contacted me and asked me to do it. Sorry for the novel.

UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
Bert,
I currently don't have control panel access.
But, editing the registrations queue is only by admin.
But if it were me I would add the login detector mod we have at UBBDEV.
And let the stopformspam feature do what it does and turn off Enable Registration Queue .
You can still keep the email verification feature for new registrations.
The login detector will block say a person that registers and was a good registrant at the time,But block them if they are reported later as a spammer. Which the stock code does not do

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Thanks. I will ask another question later.

UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Hi Ruben,

OK, so it is all relative. Some may say this question is actually a lot later (five months). But, it just seems like a day or two.

Anyway, I have noticed that even though I have done nothing to change the registration queue or the stopforumspam feature, while I used to get about three to four spammers in every ten registrants, I may only get one every other week. Is there a reason for that?

Bert

UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
It all depends on the spammers.
Some people are under constant attack.
Some have very few
And some people spammers come in waves or cycles.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Wow. I guess we are in a good wave.

UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 1,018 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29