Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
So I offered to help some friends migrate from a failing server and crummy hosting service, to another server and hosting provider. Because we had a limited amount of time to move the server, I was only able to get the new server setup (CentOS 6.4), dump the entire DB, and copy the relevant files over to the new server (httpd conf files, DB, page files, etc.). They are currently running vBulletin for their primary forums, and that works correctly after the move; however they were hosting their old UBB forums as well, as a sort of archive. I am trying to get this working, but I haven't been able to locate the issue.

When I go to the old UBBThreads page, I just get much of the content of the actual index.php. The same happens when I go to the install.php page. I know that should not be there, it was left like this before I started working on it. I have a test environment at home I have been playing with, so I don't screw up the production environment, but I am at the end of my rope on this one. Any help would be useful.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, newer versions of PHP will NOT work with older versions of UBB.Threads; they'll need to either downgrade PHP or upgrade their UBB.Threads install if that's the case.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Thanks for the response Gizmo. I was coming to the conclusion as well. I purchased a license for the latest version and In my test environment I have run the upgrade to the newest version. Even with 6.5.5 the install page showed a lot of code. After the upgrade, I have a blank forum, it doesn't seem to recognize all the old content in the DB. The server was on UBB 6.2, so I'm not sure if I did something wrong. When I dumped the DBs, I dumped all of them. The upgrade said everything succeeded.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh that's an even larger pickle...

v6 and v7 are entirely different codebases, so you'd have to export the db and all v6 files somewhere that has an older copy of PHP then import that to a v7.2 install (importer and latest v7 is in the CP) then upgrade that to v7.5.8 which is the only version compatible with the latest versions of PHP.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
That makes sense. I have the resources to do that. I'll spin up another VM and do that. Thanks!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
No problem; let us know how it goes, it's unique things like this that some people come in about and it's nice to see if what I thought it was is the issue lol.

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
My intention is to do a little write up of my notes and post them. Currently I am looking at ways to run multiple versions of PHP, though I won't be doing that in production. I am keen on keeping the production environment up to date.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, you could try as some webhosts allow, to set the version of php by using Addhandler such as with this site suggests on their setup.

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Ok, well after further research, and having a CentOS 5.9 environment setup, this might be a bigger pain that it already is. The forum is on UBB 6.2. As far as I can tell, I can't upgrade that to 6.5.5 and then on to current version. I am still not keen on running multiple version of PHP on the production environment. Any advice on where I go from here? Is there any guide on getting from 6.2 to current?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm not 100% sure on upgrading from 6.2 (wow) but I do know that you'll need to get to v6.5 to do the upgrade and the standard upgrade path to v7 is:
From UBB.Threads v6 would be
  • Upgrade to 6.5.5 (as the importer will only work with 6.5.x)
  • Import to 7.2 (as there have been some bugs in the past with the permission matrix change in 7.3)
  • Upgrade to 7.5.8

From UBB.Threads v6:
  • Upgrade to 6.7 (as the importer will only work with 6.7)
  • Import to 7.2 (as there have been some bugs in the past with the permission matrix change in 7.3)
  • Upgrade to 7.5.8

The only version of UBB.Threads that'll run on the newer builds of PHP is v7.5.8

The only version of UBB.threads that'll run on the newer builds of PHP is v7.5.8
This presents a possible issue with upgrading. Does it not?
If a person has a older version such as on this topic and they need to upgrade ubb due to the host updated php.
How can they get to ubb 7.5.8?????

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Now I'm researching the best way to run two versions on PHP. So, this host is not a typical hosting solution. It is hosted with a company which I used to work at. Basically we are having them host a VM, so we can do whatever we want on the box.

Gizmo, I tried going from 6.2 to 6.5.5 but the update.php doesn't work. The install does, but the update.php just comes up blank.

I also tried classic (6.7) but that seems really unfamiliar to me. I will have to look into that more. Update: It looks like there's an update package that used to be available to update to 6.7 classic, but it's not available anymore. Am I missing something?

Ruben, the idea is that I am on an older version of CentOS and PHP, that I will update UBB to 6.5 of 6.7, then update/import to 7.2, migrate that to an up to date box, and then update to the newest version. Then I can move the files and DB into production. It's a lot of work but it's the archives for this group.

Last edited by CDW27; 12/17/2013 3:03 PM.
M
Stranger
Stranger
M Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, newer versions of PHP will NOT work with older versions of UBB.Threads; they'll need to either downgrade PHP or upgrade their UBB.Threads install if that's the case.

I am running a UBB.threadsâ„¢ 6.5.2 with php 5.3.3-40.el6_6

With what ver of PHP will the board stop working correctly?

Thanks

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
@moparts -

UBB.threads 6.5.2 may start seeing issues with PHP5.4/5.5

With PHP5, you will have issues with "$this" on early versions of UBB.threads. 6.2 and prior, IIRC.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by CDW27
Gizmo, I tried going from 6.2 to 6.5.5 but the update.php doesn't work. The install does, but the update.php just comes up blank.
I'd be really interested in seeing what your server error logs display when upgrade.php is called...

I also tried classic (6.7) but that seems really unfamiliar to me. I will have to look into that more. Update: It looks like there's an update package that used to be available to update to 6.7 classic, but it's not available anymore. Am I missing something?
Well, if you're running threads, classic isn't really going to help you; and if you're trying to import into classic, you really should be within v6.5.x of threads to do so (and in that case I'd advise you just to go to Threads v7 from there vs going to classic).

Ruben, the idea is that I am on an older version of CentOS and PHP, that I will update UBB to 6.5 of 6.7, then update/import to 7.2, migrate that to an up to date box, and then update to the newest version. Then I can move the files and DB into production. It's a lot of work but it's the archives for this group.
If they're interested in advanced (non-ubb) support (and have the funding to do so) I've got the time to download their db, do an upgrade off server, and provide them with a v7 set of files (with an updated db); you can find more information here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29