Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
journeyman
journeyman
I guess the first question should be, will 7.5.7 work with MySQL 5.6? It's actually MariaDB 10.0, but for all intents and purposes, it behaves as MySQL 5.6.

The issue is when I change the database host to the new target database server the board no longer works (and over the years I've done this time and time again as database servers come and go. I then have to go into the config.inc.php file and change the DATABASE_SERVER value back manually to get out of the mess.

What happens is immediately after the change apply & redirect I get the following error in the browser:
Fatal error: Call to a member function error() on a non-object in (full path removed)\libs\mysql.inc.php on line 63

Here is the error that shows up when you attempt to visit the forums:
UBB Message
We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Database error only visible to forum administrators

Please click back to return to the previous page

And this is in the MySQL log:
Script: - Line:
SELECT t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, t1.USER_PASSWORD, t1.USER_SESSION_ID, t1.USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL, t1.USER_IS_BANNED,t1.USER_RULES_ACCEPTED, t1.USER_IS_UNDERAGE, t2.USER_TOTAL_PM, t2.USER_STYLE, t2.USER_HIDE_LEFT_COLUMN,t2.USER_HIDE_RIGHT_COLUMN, t2.USER_LANGUAGE, t2.USER_MOOD, t2.USER_RELATIVE_TIME, t2.USER_TIME_OFFSET,t2.USER_SHOW_ALL_GRAEMLINS, t2.USER_AVATAR, t2.USER_TITLE, t2.USER_CUSTOM_TITLE, t2.USER_NAME_COLOR, t2.USER_SHOW_LEFT_MYSTUFF,t2.USER_GROUP_IMAGES,t2.USER_TIME_FORMAT
FROM ubbt_USERS as t1,
ubbt_USER_PROFILE as t2
WHERE t1.USER_ID = 3
AND t1.USER_ID = t2.USER_ID
- Table 'forums.ubbt_USERS' doesn't exist

That table does exist though. I can remotely log into the new database server with the database user and password and have verified I can do queries and such on the forums databases/tables. I have restarted the appropriate application pool and the entire IIS process. Still no go. We even have an app we coded that provides a read-only peek into the forums database for statistics/tracking that functions fine on the new server so that even serves as an additional test.

I've done this many times over the years and never had an issue. *But*, this is the first time using MySQL 5.6 or MariaDB so I don't know if that is the issue. I tend to think MariaDB is a red herring though as every other MySQL based app is functioning fine. Out 18 MySQL dependent apps (actually more, as I'm counting databases, not web apps), this is the only one being a bear. Bugzilla, Joomla, all my CakePHP stuff, internal one-off Perl stuff, etc. all handled just changing the IP address to the new server fine with no issues, but UBB pukes and dies. This is the last remaining database on this server preventing it from being pulled from production.

Thanks in advance for any insight into what the issue might be.

UBB Since November 07, 2000.
journeyman
journeyman
Actually, I see "Compatibility with MySQL 5.6" listed as a feature of 7.5.8, so I bet that the answer is that 7.5.7 is not compatible with MySQL 5.6. Looks like an upgrade is in my future. Time to reapply code customizations.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As you found, according to the changelog (UBB.Threads v7.5.8 Changelog), the only versions compatible with newer builds of MySQL and PHP are v7.5.8 and newer.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
I have upgraded to 7.5.9 and I still get the same behavior when attempting to point at the new DB server. One minor difference though... the mysql.inc.php line in the error returned has changed to 61, but that just seems to be an error reporting call not the root error and is probably not relevant to the issue (though it would be nice to see farther up the stack at what actually puked.) Same MySQL error in the log though.

The darnedest thing though as I've never had any issue changing DB server before and every other MySQL dependent app was a seamless switch. This is a production server so I can only take quick jabs at it. Perhaps I'll try it again this weekend and fully reboot the web-server or something after making the switch.

It's almost like it can't talk to the database, but as mentioned, I've pored over all that before, verifying permissions and can even access it using our one-off forums reporting tool (we use forums for support and I developed a read-only tracking tool that watches for unanswered threads.)

journeyman
journeyman
For what its worth, I can connect to that database server with a MySQL client using the forums database user & auth and query the table that it says doesn't exist which eliminates the possibility there are other comm or permissions related issues.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hmm, I just noticed this bit of your log:

Are you selecting the correct database table for your MySQL database?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Hmm, I just noticed this bit of your log:

Are you selecting the correct database table for your MySQL database?

All I'm doing is changing the database server value. At the new database server it is an exact duplicate of the database running on the present server so table previxes, etc. are the same (and as mentioned in the post that crossed paths, I can connect using my forums user from the server to the new db server and query that table.) It's almost as if the database object was not created at some point and the query fails. The "doesn't exist" is probably a red herring as the error is much lower level. Most likely why it pukes at the error creation point in the other script too as it tries to create an error message from the database object that doesn't exist. If this wasn't a production server I could crank up some debugging. Perhaps until I can monkey with it more (weekend/after hours) I'll create a copy of this on another server and see if it behaves the same way and if it does, find out exactly what is going on. I was hoping someone might have seen this before, but maybe it's a new/unique one.

journeyman
journeyman
Re-creating the forum on another webserver and pointing at the new database server does result in the same errors.

I'm going to crank up debugging info and try a few things there to see if I can get to the bottom of this. I'll update if/when I have more info.

journeyman
journeyman
It appears to be an issue of case sensitivity. The table "ubbt_USERS" does in fact not exist, where the table "ubbt_users" does.

Older/other database servers didn't/don't seem to care about the case of the table names but it obviously matters to the new one. Presently looking into the possibility of changing this. Hopefully there is a configuration directive on the server that will change this behavior.

journeyman
journeyman
The issue was related to the database server platforms... all the previous MySQL servers I had hosted on were Windows resident but the new MySQL (MariaDB) server hosting the database is a UNIX based server.

Seems the default for Windows systems is to create table names in lower case and to not care about case when it comes to using table names in queries, etc. UNIX based implementations of MySQL are case sensitive (just like the OS.)

I added "lower_case_table_names = 1" to the my.cnf on my server under [mysqld] and restarted the MySQL server daemon. The query that was failing before is now completing so I'm going to assume that I'll be able to make the switch the next attempt (which will be at an off time after bringing the database current again on the target server.)

BTW, here are the possible values/behaviors of the lower_case_table_names from the MariaDB site (which should be the same for MySQL implementations of course)...

If set to 0 (the default on Unix-based systems), table names and aliases and database names are compared in a case-sensitive manner. If set to 1 (the default on Windows), names are stored in lowercase and not compared in a case-sensitive manner. If set to 2 (the default on Mac OS X), names are stored as declared, but compared in lowercase.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
During a migration to a Linux server from a Windows one will have some hiccups as you discovered in your last post; the fix is pretty easy, just go in and rename the tables or use lower_case_table_names.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29