Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
D Offline
My UBB forum users post a lot of images that are essential to their discussions. We prefer that the images are displayed inline rather than as a link. This requires the user to resize the image to a displayable file size. That process is too difficult for many users who can upload anything to Facebook where the image is automatically resized and optimized. So I am losing users to Facebook.

When will ImageMagick be integrated to File Manager uploads so users can have an easy experience and my forum can have automatically resized and optimized images displayed inline within the posts? Other software has enabled this for years.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Set your inline image size limit higher, and your images will automatically displayed inline.

In the upcoming UBB.threads 7.6.0, the images will be displayed within a lightbox on the same page, regardless of the dementions or file size.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
D
D Offline
I don't want to host mega pixel images of 1 or 2 or 3 megs in size. Easy for ImageMagick to optimize the images from camera size to an efficient displayable size. A hundred thousand 200k images is much more reasonably managed than a hundred thousand 2.5 meg images.

Is there no interest in enabling ImageMagick in the File Manager process?

Facebook is killing my forum with their ease of uploading 2 + meg camera images and ending up with optimized < 200k images on their server. Lost a lot of users in this past year because UBB isn't keeping up with current image handling standards.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Digitalgas
I don't want to host mega pixel images of 1 or 2 or 3 megs in size. Easy for ImageMagick to optimize the images from camera size to an efficient displayable size. A hundred thousand 200k images is much more reasonably managed than a hundred thousand 2.5 meg images.

It sounds like what you need is a photo gallery software, rather than (or in addition to) a discussion forum software.

One of my larger sites has over 16,000 photos linked to its UBB.threads install using Gallery2.
And I believe its current UBB.threads attached files (mostly images) is over roughly 51,000.

Gallery v2.3.2 @ http://galleryproject.org/

Facebook is killing my forum with their ease of uploading 2 + meg camera images and ending up with optimized < 200k images on their server. Lost a lot of users in this past year because UBB isn't keeping up with current image handling standards.

I do not believe that you are losing members to facebook purely because of their ability to host images. Does facebook.com even allow you to hotlink (inline) full sized images to another website?

There are many alternatives:
http://imgur.com/
http://tinypic.com/
http://photobucket.com
https://imageshack.us

Along with Flicker and Pintrest.

The problem with a dwindling user base that you're seeing may be more related to the changing of times, and less of "Site-X has a single better feature than my Site-Y." Because, if the Site X/Y thing was true, you probably would totally dominate with all the many /more/ features you can provide to your users, than the other guys are currently providing.

"Steve C" did a good commentary about this a while ago -

Originally Posted by Steve C
There is definitely another trend going on here as well.

My forum -- [...] -- traffic has dwindled drastically in the past several years. I attribute it to Facebook. A number of "groups" have cropped up on FB that target the same people as my forum, and I even see many of the most active people (who have all but left the UBB forum) posting in the FB groups.

There is some sort of social need for people like that to post to an audience, and if there is only a small audience in a particular forum, they move to one with more participation. It really stinks that the FB setup/genre supports more of a "chat room" feel, where comments pretty much evaporate after a day or two.

The true forums, on the other hand, provide historic data which can be searched and referenced in later posts. That feature is really important to me. FB to me is such a hollow, shallow, empty tool for sharing real information, but for the masses, it appears to be their choice spot.

And that just stinks!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are "Image Quality" settings in the control panel in "Gallery Settings", play with them until you get something that allows a 4mb file but diminishes its quality and maximum dimensions to something that takes up far less space (because the quality has degrigated).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
D Offline
OK, I guess that is my answer that there is no interest in enabling ImageMagick in File Manager any time soon for UBB customers.

We actually do use Gallery2 as an image gallery, but we wanted inline images that are optimized within the forum posts without requiring users to copy code from 3rd party image hosts or resizing on their own.

We also use a second Gallery2 install as a "resize tool" for users to resize their images, copy the resulting images and post those optimized images on the forum using File Manager. Still too much time and effort for users compared to easy one step uploads on Facebook and eBay.

Strange thing is that Gallery2 is free and yet is more advanced than UBB in image optimized uploads.

We host hundreds of thousands of user uploaded images. Our site averages around 5 million pageviews per month. Optimization is key. And mobile users should expect us to be good stewards with their data limitations by optimizing as best we can. Sorry to hear you're not interested in helping to conserve resources and bandwidth.

Our forum actually outperforms Facebook on just about every meaningful level except for image upload ease and efficiency.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
OK, I guess that is my answer that there is no interest in enabling ImageMagick in File Manager any time soon for UBB customers.

You write "enable" as if it was a feature already written and just not turned on yet. The fact is, that feature is not even currently a part of UBB.threads. Nothing to enable. It actually needs to be written first.

Strange thing is that Gallery2 is free and yet is more advanced than UBB in image optimized uploads.

Gallery2 is a photo gallery software.
UBB.threads is a message forum software.

There have been some very nice updates put in to UBB.threads 7.6.0 to support inlined images. But UBB.threads is still primarily a message forum and that has been its forte since 1996.

We host hundreds of thousands of user uploaded images. Our site averages around 5 million pageviews per month. Optimization is key. And mobile users should expect us to be good stewards with their data limitations by optimizing as best we can. Sorry to hear you're not interested in helping to conserve resources and bandwidth.

What many other sites as huge as yours (and that I also do) is run a CRON task on the server every night that looks at all the files in the attachment directory that are less than 24hrs old and runs them through a resizer to;

1. Reduce to 1024px MAX width/height. Skip smaller images.
2. JPG/JPEG compression quality to 90%
3. Remove all EXIF metadata that is not related to time/date/camera specs.
4. Keep file creation date.
5. Overwrite original.

Been doing this since 2009. It dropped my 2001 attachments directory of 40GB to just under 8GB, and has been keeping it nice and clean since then. And my users dont need to worry about keeping things small, as long as they are under 5MB per photo. My Nexus6 shoots 13mp photos and the average size of those are 4.2MB each. When cleaned up in the CRON task, they come down to ~ 150kb each. They obviously are not great for making in to a movie billboard, but the goal is to make the job easy on my users, and my web host.

Last edited by id242; 06/15/2015 1:04 AM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you are interested in some further reading on another resource that does exactly that, have a scan through https://tinypng.com/developers

TinyPNG is pretty neat stuff!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer

Our forum actually outperforms Facebook on just about every meaningful level except for image upload ease and efficiency.
I'd really love to see your server statistics to see how your site would be out preforming the entire Facebook platform; Alexa Ranks Facebook as the #2 website in the world; comparing those figures to what they list on your site (in the top 1mil sites) I am noting a discrepancy.

But, at the issue at hand, the upload script in the UBB does not parse images seperately from how it handles other file uploads; in fact, while brainstorming with id242 earlier it's come to light that the current upload system probably needs attention in of itself in the future.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
D Offline
I certainly didn't mean that my site is bigger than Facebook by server stats. I meant that we outperform Facebook on the value of our content for the users of our forum. But our users repeatedly tell me that they want the easy upload that Facebook, eBay and even Gallery2 have. If they don't get that, I can't blame them for looking elsewhere.

Mobile devices are taking over as the preferred way to access the Web by average users. Nearly all have a built-in camera. Communicating by using photos is growing each year, prompted by the ease and instantaneous capability to take a picture and post it on the Web. Easy on Facebook, eBay and Gallery2, but not on UBB.

So now I understand that if I continue with UBB, then I'm on my own to deal with optimizing user uploaded images. Sounds like UBB isn't willing to change with the times. It isn't 1996 any more.

Just to butt in and agree with the comments above.

Remember Ubb stood still for so long and nothing on the horizon and the world moving forward. Its user intervention that has finally got ubb moving forward with Gizmo and ID242. The code is being optimised and so many bugs fixed. For you and me this is still frustrating as nothing really has of yet come forward to make that user experience easier, quicker and stress less.

Now that things are moving there is a mobile friendly style coming which is a start to improve that user experience. There is still along way to go and i would follow up on your comments, ive got gigs of images uploaded from my forums and its frustrating to impose file limits on members but we have to balance it. As you say a 2mb usless picture doesn't justify server space. But as most social platforms are compressing images and a very friendly 200k image.

Ive just been using word press on one of my websites after a few years looked into it again, and im frustrated to see via an wordpress app and how easy it is again to just post simply upload simply and easy do what i wanted it to do.

What i can say is that the guys at ubb dev are passionate about everything ubb, and im sure they will definitely deliver on so many upgrades, its just that frustrating time as we wait.

P. S. Up loads please consider water marking the images, so if anyone sharing the image knows where its coming from.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Sounds like UBB isn't willing to change with the times. It isn't 1996 any more.

You're right, it isn't 1996 any more. So stop treating your users like its 1996, and start treating them like its 2015 by allowing them to upload 4MB and 6MB sized photos.

You're probably running your site on recent hardware which can certainly handle it. Your users are probably on much better devices and mobile plans today, which where not available in 1996. When was the last time you saw one of your members write, "56K WARNING" or "DSL ONLY" on an image thread? My guess is, probably not within the past decade.

For the majority of mobile users, modern Android devices have an option built in to their Mobile Chrome called, "Data Saver." When that feature is on, it will use Google's servers to compress html and images on pages users visit, before downloading those pages -- not including SSL pages. This option is enabled by default, since at least July 2012 -- about the time Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) was released.

How to do this today:

1. Control Panel > Display Options > General > Topic Display Options
[...]admin/gen_display.php
Max Size for inline uploaded images:
If an image is attached to the post, if it is smaller than the specified size (in Bytes) it will be displayed in the post.
Set this to something reasonable, to show most inlined images to your users. I suggest 6291456 (6MB)
Note: 1048576 Bytes = 1 MB. Any image that is smaller than this size, will be shown to users who can view attachments.

2. Control Panel > Group Management
[...]admin/group_forumperms.php
In the "Users" row, click on "Forum"
In the "Maximum size of file attachments" section, I suggest entering 4194304 (4MB) for each of the forums you want to allow file attachments within. Max size set in php.ini, so you may not exceed that size. This is the maximum size PER EACH attached file.

While you're on that page, also have a look at the "Can Download attachments" (this includes viewing of attached images) and "Total # of file attachments" sections. Make adjustments as needed per group.

---

I also noticed that your site is still running UBB.threads 7.5.4.2p2. That was released in January 2010. A lot has happened since then. Why not upgrade to UBB.threads 7.5.9, released January 2015.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You keep referencing Gallery2, Gallery2 is a gallery suite, just like we have a Gallery option within threads which is NOT the standard upload feature for threads. Also, Gallery2 was replaced by Gallery3, and the company (at last I saw) isn't even making new builds of their software and will soon cease to even be online unless they turn off read only mode and actually do something.

NOW, if you where to use a gallery forum, and set your max uploads on your site to 6mb and set proper options for ImageMagick in the Gallery settings page in the CP it'd automatically scale them down. An example, the photos here are directly from my camera, now view the properties and note the size of the images; the uploaded photos where all about 3.5mb, but are stored on server under 100kb, with simple adjustments of gallery forums as they exist in UBB.threads 7.5.9 (IIRC these settings should work in any version of the gallery feature as it has existed in UBB.threads).

You can reference the attached image for our settings.
Attachments
agf-gallery-settings.png

D
D Offline
Thanks Gizmo, for the tips on getting our Galleries to accept uploads directly from a camera and get them processed and optimized to a nice file size and pixel size. I just uploaded a 2.5 meg photo to our gallery from my smart phone and UBB made it 640 x 480 and less than 100k. Looks great and any of my users could do it.

All these 15 years, I did not know that the UBB Gallery would do that. I wish that same option was available for inline File Manager images in the discussion forums. Is there any way that the UBB Gallery image upload system can be applied to UBB discussion forums?

I only mentioned Gallery2 because id242 brought it up first in a post above. But it is a perfect example of what I'm requesting to get a camera size photo uploaded and automatically resized/optimized.

I should have done the more recent upgrades, especially to show support for the new management. I have several template modifications that I just didn't want to tackle again unless the upgrade was really significant. So many years went by with little UBB development progress, that I became frustrated.

Here's a link to my post from 2010 where I asked about the image resizing issue. I got the answer I wanted, but never saw the progress to make it happen:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/237989/Version_8_image_questions#Post237989

I really don't want 2 meg to 6 meg inline images since it is possible to process the images on upload to get both efficiency and good display.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You'd really need to attempt to do a modification for that; it'd be out of the scope of the stock product, especially with our current focus on mobile, cleanup, and standardization.

D
D Offline
I upgraded to 7.5.9 and have ImageMagick resizing and optimizing images in my Gallery forums. But I'm having a problem. When more than one image is uploaded per gallery post, the gallery list of image posts shows no thumbnail for the multiple image posts.

It would be much nicer to have one of the images shown on the list page. How can I get that to happen?

I'd like to allow multiple images in a gallery post to show front, back and detail images to enhance the discussion about an item.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Each post is a "gallery" of posts; if everything where thrown with no index it'd get cramped and chaotic, unless an admin wanted a ton of gallery sections for various types of photos, which again would be ugly and chaotic with no real index other than the category.

Try checking permissions.
Control Panel » Forum Permissions
Total # of gallery images
If you have it set to 1 then each post will only display 1.
While on the permissions page check the:
Maximum size of gallery images
and set it to bytes.
For example 1 mb would become 1048576

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by id242
What many other sites as huge as yours (and that I also do) is run a CRON task on the server every night that looks at all the files in the attachment directory that are less than 24hrs old and runs them through a resizer to;

5. Overwrite original.

this is what i do as well and since the site is so busy, i run the cron every 4hrs ( choose your poison ). i additionally, make a thumb-whateverimagename.png for each one, so a [thumb] UBB code can display that in places where a thumbnail might be preferred.

the main problem i ran into was that all files were dumped into 1 directory, so i modified the attachments dir to have sub-directories named starting by year (yyyy), then sub-dirs under each for month ( 01, 02.... 12 ).

that makes it easier to not have one directoy with a HUGE number of files in it.

smile

Originally Posted by SD
Originally Posted by id242

5. Overwrite original.

this is what i do as well and since the site is so busy, i run the cron every 4hrs ( choose your poison ). i additionally, make a thumb-whateverimagename.png for each one, so a [thumb] UBB code can display that in places where a thumbnail might be preferred.

the main problem i ran into was that all files were dumped into 1 directory, so i modified the attachments dir to have sub-directories named starting by year (yyyy), then sub-dirs under each for month ( 01, 02.... 12 ).

that makes it easier to not have one directoy with a HUGE number of files in it.

smile
+1 on the multiple sub-directories.
It should be in stock code.
Users that have thousands of images in one folder tend to bog down the server, while it slugs through them to find one. Let alone most hosts have a 10,000 file limit per folder for managing via ftp.

Blue Man Group
A
A Offline
I must be missing something...

Sir Dude has(had) a UBB modification that implements inline photo upload, re-size, and display.

He essentially uses a variation of the UBB Gallery capability and ImageMagick capability to upload, re-size, and store images and then puts the image URL into img tags in the post.

There is no benefit to storing and transporting big images if the only use is inline image display in a post. We can control the maximum upload size (before resize) and other parms.

There is one issue yet to be resolved where iPhone and iPad pictures with orientation data in EXIF will display pictures properly inline using Safari but not in other browsers. We need to add some parameters to strip out some of the EXIF orientation data in ImageMagick as part of the re-size.

Images are stored in monthly gallery sub-folders so it is easier for system admins to locate images.

The mod has been great and our users love it.

Abbott

I don't think you missed anything.
I believe Digital is talking about not able to post multiple images in a gallery forum, not inline images.
But we need him to respond with more details to the problem.
It is probably just a forum permission issue or the host has placed some odd limits on uploads.
We just got side tracked with SD's optional mod.

But you are the first to complain about wrong orientation on picture uploads.

Blue Man Group
Originally Posted by Ruben
But you are the first to complain about wrong orientation on picture uploads.

Make me the Second lol (So Frustrating).
Or the ability to rotate if required.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
SOURCE:
UBBt 760 WIP - mobile device tests - https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbth...-wip-mobile-device-tests.html#Post320994

---

Attached is an image taken at the correct angle -- horizontal to the desk. The image was then told through EXIF data to rotate to be horizontal with the text on the plastic device stand. The image bits are unchanged. Only EXIF data was updated, Apple's iPhone "Photos App" style.

When HTML Inlined, the image is displayed according to the image bits. All EXIF data is ignored.

I feel that this is the correct way for browsers to deal with displaying photos. Use the image bits, not the image instructions found within the EXIF data. This is the globally acceptable way of presenting and image, since EXIF data is often manipulated/stripped when the image gets transported from one site to another, across several different systems.

EXAMPLES:

DIRECT LINK -
When displaying just the JPG image, FireFox and Chrome respect EXIF data. InternetExplorer does not.
http://id242.com/woof/kanex.jpg (click the link and view the photo using one of the mentioned browsers)

INLINED -
When inlining the JPG image within your HTML content, InternetExplorer, Firefox, and Chrome do not respect the EXIF data.
[Linked Image from id242.com]

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
100% agree with id on that issue smile

A
A Offline
The image displayed within the post shows as a portrait orientation with desk surface on the bottom in Chrome.

The direct URL displays the image exactly that same in Chrome and Internet Explorer on my desktop.

On the iPad mini with safari the inline image is displayed in landscape mode with the writing on the stand horizontal. The same is true with Chrome on the iPad since Apple dictates that Chrome must use the Safari browser core. So Safari uses exif orientation information if it is available. The image display is the same if viewed direct using the link.

What happens is users hold the iPad or iPhone "upside down" when taking a picture. The image bits say it is upside down but the image is displayed "correctly" to the viewer on the Apple device.

When the iPad, iPhone user loads the image inline within the post it carries the exif data. A post viewed in Safari will show right side up. All other browsers on non-iPhone/iPad browsers will see an upside down picture. Stripping out the exif orientation data only means that Safari will now display the image upside down.

The image bits say it is upside down because the user held the device "incorrectly" when the image was taken. Unfortunately no matter how hard we might try to educate and convince about the "correct" way to hold the device it is my experience that iPhone/iPad users are an independent lot and will continue to take pictures any way they want. Their user-error "incorrectness" still means we have upside down and sideways pictures.

Stripping out the exif orientation meta data is only part of it. An upside down image from a bits perspective needs to be rotated based on orientation data and THEN the orientation data needs to be stripped. In ImageMagick I think the arguments "-auto-orient" and then "-strip" during the image convert process will do it although I am not 100% certain.

So in the end we have to expect people with portable devices will continue to submit images that are upside down with orientation parameters in the exif data to correctly display on browsers that respect exif data. Since most of our forum members use other browsers and platforms the majority will still see upside down or sideways pictures.

Well at least until the inline image uploader is changed to stop them Apple folks from turning our forms upside down.

Abbott

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A simple (and elegant) solution would be to add a "Rotate" button to the Lightbox window in the upcoming 760.

I'll look in to adding this, or at least getting one available for 761. So at least the image can be rotated independently of whatever the EXIF data says, and independently of whatever device the end user is using.

EDIT 1: Doing this, the final result will be an image posted exactly as the user uploaded. And no monkeying-around with ImageMagick and the requirements of a site admin to make sure their server has that third-party software installed and configured correctly.

EDIT 2: Doing things this way, is also backwards compatible with all the previously attached images.

EDIT 3: No additional server resources are needed or are used in the process smile

EDIT 4: No more edit! grin

L
stranger
stranger
L Offline
this information are very usefull

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29