Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#257282 09/19/2015 1:05 AM
I have been getting a lot of bogus signups from China. I have put the ip addresses in the ban list area but it hasn't helped.

I was wondering when I decline the register request, does an e-mail go out to the e-mail address listed stating the registration was declined? If so, is there a way to suspend that.

Reason I ask is that I have noticed if I let it sit in the registration queue they somewhat stop but once I decline, typically the next day, there is more that registered.

I really have no clue as to why they are signing up, I did approve a few for the heck of it months ago but they never posted. There has to be a reason and motive for doing it. They all list they are from China and their user names are something like abcdefg jklmnop qrstuvw with numbers and typically hot mail addresses.

Not sure what other options are available.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

FREAK #257283 09/19/2015 1:28 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, if you where running more current code (btw, anything earlier than 7.5.8 is susceptible to security issues) I'd tell you to setup Stop Forum Spam in control panel; the best you can do prior to that is install the modification at ubbdev.

As for if an email does off on a decline, I'm not really sure; you could try making a dummy account and deny it and check first hand.

Also, a CDN (such as CloudFlare) also helps block spammers.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #257284 09/19/2015 10:48 AM
Thanks

Weird thing is. the handful I approved, never posted. Not sure what the agenda is.

FREAK #257286 09/19/2015 12:45 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yup, I call then sleepers; they register in bulk across communities and they sell lists, and then out of nowhere they start spamming. It's why stop form spam add-on has a separate login detection module.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
FREAK #257287 09/19/2015 1:13 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Some people (myself included) register for sites and never post, just to;
[*] have access to searching
[*] setting the amounts of posts-per-page
[*] have access to the pictures/files attached to posts
[*] display the forum without ads
[*] have access to all the registered-user sections
[*] keep a place-holder for the user name
[*] having an earlier "member since" date on the profile
[*] And finally, these users also have an account created so they can follow topics that are of interest to them. If a site has useful content where people are constantly developing a product you use (for example, a ROM for an Android phone), and you have nothing to add to the conversation, but you would like to be notified of what others are saying about it -- because you had also downloaded and installed that item -- then an account where "notification of replies" or "followed threads" options are enabled, can be very useful.

We sometimes visit the forums every day. We sometimes only visit once a month... or every other month.

There are many forums that I visit regularly, in which I have not made a single post at, because of what I've mentioned above.

And, you can be assured that a year later, when you go to purge accounts that have not made a post within 6 months, you will find some people marching up to your door with pitchforks, angry that you deleted their accounts... lol

[*] The spammers that Gizmo mentioned, are called, "Sleepers."
[*] The user accounts that I mentioned, are called "Lurkers."
There are many of both types. You need to decide how you want to deal with both of those two groups, as if they were a single same group. One way is to display a notice during the user creation pages, that they must create at least xx (10?) posts on their account within the first six months, to avoid being auto-purged for non-contribution / inactivity. Another way is to just realize that those accounts exist and just ignore them -- while instead focusing on just the garbage posts that might be created and dealing with those.

Think of all the user profiles on facebook/twitter/google+ where the person never posts.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
FREAK #257288 09/20/2015 12:17 AM
I fully grasp the lurkers. I have plenty of those that never register for an account. I have thought about locking up the forum to whereas you have to be a registered member to view the content. I've gone back and forth on the idea and have left almost all areas open for public view and a few that are private view that require at least 25 posts to see the information.

As for the sleepers, that may be indeed the case, I know for sure they aren't lurkers. It would be one thing if they weren't all from China, but that's not the case.

I don't purge any users so I guess we shall if anything ultimately happens.

FREAK #257311 09/21/2015 10:03 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I get a LOT of Chinese spammers too - not sure if the question was answered, but when we decline a user registration, does it send an email out?

Future SFS request - when we click the link to report the spammer that the registration is silently deleted at the same time - if we're reporting a spammer I don't think any site owner really wants to keep them around.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
FREAK #257313 09/21/2015 12:24 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'll have to think about how that'd work code wise ~7.6.1 or so...

FREAK #257318 09/21/2015 6:33 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Maybe this is still relevant...
(I asked this question 9 years ago.)

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/168583/

Originally Posted by Rick
Actually this should be clarified. It will only send an email to them if you specify a reason for declining them. If you leave it blank, no email will be sent.

FREAK #257322 09/22/2015 4:48 PM
old hand
old hand
I get tons of these registration attempts. Not as bad as a few months ago, but sometimes I get up to 100 sitting in the queue if I haven't gone in in a few days.

It would be nice if there were a "select all" option in CP to decline all.

FREAK #257323 09/22/2015 6:38 PM
That was something I requested back in the day of version 8 requests.
It sucks when you have multiple registration requests and you are required to do them one by one.
Somewhat like the server logs, but at least with them you can ftp to the folder and delete them in mass.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
FREAK #257328 09/24/2015 5:45 PM
Addict
Addict
I honestly can't remember the last time I had a spammer.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29