Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#257955 01/05/2016 4:17 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
I am part of a forum that has gone down and looking to possibly start/get it back up. What all is involved to get the forum back up?
I know I will have more questions but would like to start with these.
Thanks for the help.

That is like asking how long is a piece of string.
What is the objective of the forum?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Sorry, I guess the question should've been... What do I need to do to start up a forum? The one we were using has not been updated in years and the owner doesn't have interest in it any longer. Hope this helps a little more.

acfatcat #257958 01/06/2016 11:27 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You'll need a webserver running PHP5.3+, preferably a Linux server. A shared host is not generally recommended (though BlueHost has a really good business hosting plan if your site doesn't warrant anything larger; if you're looking at a VPS or Dedicated Server, I'd recommend my host StableHost).

I have made a test script to ensure you won't have (many) issues in running a forum, this is available at: UBB.threads v7.6.0+ System Requirement Test - 20151204.

Additionally you will need a domain name, there are many domain registries out there, including whatever webhost you end up at (in fact, some hosts include a free domain).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
acfatcat #257966 01/07/2016 10:34 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Thanks for the info. Will research for the best options.

A
A Offline
To add to what has been said...

Do you have or can get server-level access to the current forum?

If yes, are you expecting to migrate forum history from the old platform to the new platform?

If yes, then it is really important to know what software and version is running the current forum so you can plan an orderly migration.

If no then your only concern is choice of forum software. Although it is not the most razzle-dazzle, social-media-look-alike platform in my mind it remains the best, most flexible, capable, and -- this is critical -- stable forum software platform. We have been using UBB since 2006 and it just works. Day after day, year after year. Yes there are features I would like added and sometimes the update schedule is frustrating but I have none of the daily operational complaints I hear from users of other forum software.

One of the nice things about UBB is how easy it is for non-coders to administer the forums. In addition there are some 3rd Party resources who know UBB inside out and can handle custom modifications and support at very reasonable rates.

If the current platform is already UBB then you need to plan a migration from the version in use to the most current version so that your site is clean and ready for the upcoming 7.6.0 version.

I recommend a hosted environment by a company familiar with php forum software sitting on top of a MySQL database. I found an EXCELLENT host in 2008 and have nothing but good things to say about them. Top notch in every way: www.vertexthost.com

Abbott

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29