Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#258541 07/10/2016 12:45 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I haven't been around here for a while, so apologies if I missed something in my cursory search through the forum.

Suffice to say, is there an obvious option to allow users to upload images from their mobile device from within the forum/software itself?

I looked into self-hosting using Gallery a while ago (yeah, I know, it's "shuttered" now) because we've got the bandwidth and the space, but ultimately decided against it (plus, mobile uploads were never exactly easy with Gallery.) Plus, going from a 17GB (including OS and a few days of backups) footprint to, well, MUCH more) didn't appeal to the sys admin in me for the limited benefit.

(We're running 7.5.6, but upgrading isn't a huge issue. Yeah, I know, bugs, but it's just been chugging along once I chmodded the daylights out of things to get around the hacks we encountered early on...)

Veteran
Veteran
One of the issues I see with all versions of the software concerning mobile uploads is image size. Many of these smart phones are taking photo's at 12 megapixels and are very large image sizes. With the version you are running the displaying of the images are huge and also cumbersome in server space after a while. I have set a size limit on my uploads to try to combat photo size in the area of file size and and storage.

As you see here in this forum the way images are now displayed in the UBB.threads 7.6.0 everything has changed to lightboxes and is much more friendly to mobile users as well as the standard computer users. No longer are the photos displayed in posts at their full size but appear as a attachment in the form of a thumbnail everywhere and when clicked come up in the lightbox to fit the device you are now using. This is a big step forward for all devices using the forums now.

I would suggest when the new version, UBB.threads 7.6.0, is finished and released to upgrade as you should have better control and ease of display for photos in the forums. From what I'm seeing here on the snapshots compared to past versions of the software much has changed in the area you're looking at.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Set uploads to allow 20mb uploads, set the image quality and size settings to what maximums you want to use, and set it to use ImageMagick as your image library, and it'll scale the images and their quality down; your settings will vary based on what you test on your forums.

Note: Attachments do NOT get processed through the image processor settings.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
test
Attachments
WP_20150526_16_26_10_Pro.jpg

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Gizmo #258558 07/13/2016 10:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gizmo
It would be nice if we could scale the images for the attachments as so mobile users whom can not or do not know how to resize the images would have an easier time uploading. More and more users now are using mobile devices and even i the past users weren't very keen on how to resize. If it is not a point and click instant gratification process most people do not care to learn how to do it.

Gizmo #258559 07/13/2016 10:30 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Gi
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Set uploads to allow 20mb uploads, set the image quality and size settings to what maximums you want to use, and set it to use ImageMagick as your image library, and it'll scale the images and their quality down; your settings will vary based on what you test on your forums.

Gizmo

where can I learn more about this? how the ImageMagick works and what I need to do to implement it.
Thanks

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
for Gallery
control panel > gallery settings (near the top of the list)

and in multiple locations for File Attachement sizes
control panel > group settings
control panel > forum settings (per forum)

see attached images.

(btw, this post was created and the attachments were added all by smart phone / google nexus 6)
Attachments
20160712_21-05-25.PNG 20160712_21-06-25.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
journeyman
journeyman
OK, I didn't notice initially that we're running 7.6.0(ish) code here. That's good to know. It gives me a little better feel about an ETA.

So I'm clear, should I be waiting for 7.6.0 or just trying out what is already there in 7.5.6? I've got ImageMagick running correctly on the box. I've got plenty of CPU available and we're barely touching the 10Mbps bandwidth. We've got maybe 150GB of disk space to play with, but only 10GB of offsite backup space, so that's the limit I'd ideally like to stick to.(1GB already used for existing backups.)

(Plus, just throwing this out there, but I'm 10 days away from 3 years of uptime - 1085. Where else am I going to brag about that? smile )

I mean, it can't hurt to try, right?

With Imagemagick enabled, it doesn't save the originals, right?

I'll just go back into my cave and try not to be in the figurative back seat constantly asking "are we there yet?"

(Glad to see the response Gizmo, but sorry you were able to give it so soon... Hope he feels better.)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The image settings I mentioned (and where id242 and JAISP clarified) are all in the 7.5 code; nothing was changed in v7.6.0 for gallery settings, just the way the gallery items are presented to the user.

Note that when a user uploads a 20mb file, and IM changes the image quality and image size, it'll have a far different size on the server (hence my suggestion to play with the upload settings on your site with large images to find a combination that works for your community).

IM uses the same behavior as the default GD setting, it's just a higher quality end product; originals are not saved, just the full/medium and thumbnail images.

And yeah, we're both pretty bummed today, being home from Summer Camp 3 nights early; unfortunately, just as we got him over being homesick (he missed his Nana and his sister) he got sick into the lake (we had him sitting down fishing with another scout who had homesickness last summer at camp).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
So, I didn't see this option anywhere, but is there a way to age out the photos? Meaning, you upload a photo and then 3 years later it is deleted from the site so I don't have to deal with it any more.

(Yeah, I can accomplish this with a find command, but it'd be more elegant if it were available in the software itself and I didn't have to worry about it breaking something.)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is a "Prune Topics" feature in the control panel (CP -> Content Management -> Prune Topics) that can clear out old posts for you; but keep in mind that if any of the threads are popular in search engines, it's possible that your prune may result in a lot more 404 errors in your logs.

journeyman
journeyman
So, in a nutshell, no way to wipe the images without the topics disappearing?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can manually FTP in to the folder where your attachments are located, and delete the images you want removed. But the database will still link to those (now broken) locations.

A web browser will be presented with a broken URL, but you can use .htaccess to point all broken image URLs to an "Image Not Found" image.

Code
# Replace invalid image url with 404 image
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_URI} !-f
RewriteRule \.(gif|jpe?g?|png|bmp)$ //www.EXAMPLE.com/404image.jpg [R,NC,L]

This is a good procedure if you'd like to review your attachments and remove all "adult/mature" and "graphic image" pictures from your attachments directory, while not having to worry actual 404 errors given to search engines.

Your forum database will still point to that image's location for as long as the post exists. And there is a very good chance that whatever was being discussed in that post is also related to the image attached; such as screenshots, product reviews, or instructions/guides...etc

Old Hand
Old Hand
I have not installed ImageMagic and use standard GD2 settings. is 2MB max for GD2?

ID242: I'm trying to get attachments like yourpost above but fail.

I have in the past used 800px as largest size to show in the forum otherwise the text will move outside the screen.

What would be the ultimate settings for gallery which I have only one and attachments for the rest of my forums. Strange question maybe but I use a left coumn which is 240px and don't like to present to large photos so it affects the screen.

Thanks

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
journeyman
journeyman
Long story short, I changed php.ini (went from 2m to 20m upload size), restarted apache, changed the forum permissions (both for attachment size and image size as well as for number of attachments) and an image uploaded as expected.

However, I have an issue in that ImageMagick didn't seem to take effect at all. The image is still the same file size and dimensions as it was on upload.

Plus, I know that ImageMagick is at least *somewhat* working correctly (if not fully) as I can run "convert foo.jpg -resize 800x800 foo.jpg" and it resizes the image as I would have expected.

I have the paths correct.

Am I missing something?

Is there a more "realistic" convert statement I can run to test ImageMagick? It's up to date for CentOS (using yum).

Or, is this maybe an issue related to the fact I have basically a locked down 7.5.6 version (meaning, we got hacked before there was an update to 7.5.6 so I corrected it by chmod'ing the heck out of the /ubbthreads directory.) Currently the upload directory is 777, so that's not it, but beyond that, I'm willing to accept that it could be my problem.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 5.36.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 5.36.17 PM.png

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
ImageMagick only kicks in for Gallery forums.

Attached files to regular posts are never touched by ImageMagick. They are attached exactly as the uploader uploaded them as; whether the attachment be a pdf, zip archive, or image file.

---

Gallery forums limit attachments by file size, image dimensions, and only allow images (gif, jpg...etc)

Regular forums only limit attachments by file size and type (gif, jpg, pdf, zip/rar, txt...etc)

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29