Print Thread
Hop To
#260234 05/26/2017 6:05 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
http://www.praisecafe.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/wassappinnin.html

There's a good number of display errors

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?showso...orums%2F1%2F1%2Fwassappinnin.html#l115c5

Is it possible some templates were missed? I only see a few errors here, so some of the issues have been fixed or... not sure. My files passed the checks on install. There aren't any errors in my headers or footers.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Could you try completely clearing out your includes files so that we can see if there is a template, styling, or includes issue.

UBB.threads 7.5 was more forgiving of HTML issues than what v7.6 is (additionally a future release will be more strict with some templates due to newer builds of Smarty).

Isaac has a useful chart now that the includes are listed now (in the order they're used):
[Linked Image from id242.com]

You could also try testing with one of the v76 styles, you can import them from the control panel, they can be found in /install/styles

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Includes are completely removed now - the issues are within the forum HTML/templates. The validator completely gives up when it gets to the calendar.

It begins with an extra </td> after the top menu links, that closing column could be what starts the cascade of errors.

The includes I use have been used for 10+ years now without change, they have been validated many many times, beginning when I wrote the valid template files way back when. smile

I could hunt it down for you, but then what would you do? wink

- Allen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If it was the code it'd affect every install.

On occasion, language strings can be corrupted after an import; could you please put this file in your forum directory and run it, it'll check for any corrupted language file entries.
Attachments
language.zip (519 Bytes, 17 downloads)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'll have to when I get back to the office Tuesday, thank you.

It looks like it may begin at the bottom of the header template - there's a {$tbclose} in the template that just shows as a blank line in the HTML output.
</td>
</tr>
{$tbclose}
</td>
</tr>

Etc. It may not be the issue but that's where the validator begins throwing errors.

- Allen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
AA, I see that your website is having errors which are unique only to your website, and not to the main forum software.

I just spent a few minutes looking at the source of your pages and found that you are not using table wrappers. Your table wrappers are completely blank. This element is key to displaying pages on UBB.threads.

On a fresh install of UBB.threads 7.6.0 to my sandbox server, I am able to duplicate your forum display issues exactly, by removing this key Wrapper element from the stock UBB.threads install.

Please Follow these instructions, to resolve your main forum display issue.

1) Go to your Control Panel
2) Go to Display Settings | Styles
3) Click on the "Wrappers" tab at the top
4) In the first row, for wrapper ID "0", NAME "default", click on the [Edit] link on the right.
5) Copy the following HTML blocks in to their correct sections:

Opening HTML
Code
<table class="t_outer" style="width:100%">
<tr><td>
<table class="t_inner" style="width:100%">
Closing HTML
Code
</table>
</td></tr>
</table>
6) Click on the "Update Wrapper" button at the bottom.

This should resolve your forum display issues. If not, please continue to step 7.

7) Click on the left tab, named "Styles"
8) Click on your forum's default style name.
9) On this page, click on the top item, "Name, Images & Wrapper" to expend it.
10) In this section, choose "default" from the Wrapper Set drop-down.
11) Click on the "Update or Add Style" button at the bottom.
done.

NOTES: While looking through your forum HTML with an HTML Validator, I noticed that the your custom header is opening, and attempting to wrap something, but it is not closing anything. I took a screenshot of your HTML for your reference.

This is not stock HTML, but was found on your pages. There is no closing HTML that I could find.
HTML
<!--begin header-->
<table style="width: 95%;background-color: black;spacing: 0;padding: 1;align: center;"><tr><td>
<table style="width:100%;border-spacing:0px;padding:5px;align:center;spacing: 0;background-color: #c0b9a9;"><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
<!--end header-->
If I had to take a guess, whoever was managing your forums at one time, was under the impression that a "wrapper" was a "forum wrapper," rather than a "table wrapper."

Correct these issues within your custom HTML, and your pages should then display as intended.

Stock UBB.threads 7.6 validates without errors
Attachments
20170528_21-12-03.PNG 20170528_21-06-02.PNG 20170528_20-48-39.PNG 20170528_21-35-02.PNG 20170528_21-34-47.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Those wrappers are present and have been since .classic days and displayed fine all the way up to 7.5.9 . They're in the admin panel. I'm not sure why they aren't displaying. I re-saved the pages/styles but they're not showing up yet.

- Allen
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by isaac
NOTES: While looking through your forum HTML with an HTML Validator, I noticed that the your custom header is opening, and attempting to wrap something, but it is not closing anything. I took a screenshot of your HTML for your reference.

This is not stock HTML, but was found on your pages. There is no closing HTML that I could find.
HTML
<!--begin header-->
<table style="width: 95%;background-color: black;spacing: 0;padding: 1;align: center;"><tr><td>
<table style="width:100%;border-spacing:0px;padding:5px;align:center;spacing: 0;background-color: #c0b9a9;"><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
<!--end header-->

You don't see the table close because the validator gives up at the calendar level. I open the table in the header and close it in the footer... has worked 15+ years now. Up to last week when for some reason I hazarded a chance to "upgrade" from 7.5.9 to 7.6

Originally Posted by isaac
If I had to take a guess, whoever was managing your forums at one time, was under the impression that a "wrapper" was a "forum wrapper," rather than a "table wrapper."

You're kidding right? I've been managing the site since 1999 and did most of the heavy lifting in writing the first set of xhtml-valid templates for .classic and .threads. I owned ubbdev and threadsdev the first 12-14 years, this ain't my first time to look at the templates. I appreciate the work you're doing now, but you're still what I'd consider a newbie here.

- Allen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
You're kidding right? I've been managing the site since 1999 and did most of the heavy lifting in writing the first set of xhtml-valid templates for .classic and .threads. I owned ubbdev and threadsdev the first 12-14 years, this ain't my first time to look at the templates. I appreciate the work you're doing now, but you're still what I'd consider a newbie here.

Confirm that you have wrappers in place. When I looked at your pages, I was unable to see any Table Wrapper HTML in them at all. Table Wrappers are important for correct forum display.

This is not UBB Classic, and the major version bump from UBB.threads7 v5.9 to v6.0 was intentional. The software is now responsive (mobile friendly) and passes HTML5 validation.

I will be the first one to admit that i used too many words to get your display issue resolved. I'm aware that you may have been able to correct the issue on your own. but you posted here looking for help. And this is the only intent I had. I am aware that you're not a stupid person. I respect all of the work I watched you do in the '00s. In fact, I believe you and I had shared positive words and some ideas in '02 - '05, IIRC.

The full intent of my post was beyond assisting you, it was to help anyone else with the same issues who comes across this post looking for a solution. They can read through the directions and resolve it on their own. Basically, my post wasnt 100% for you, it was to be part of an discussion archive of useful instructions for others with the same errors. please see it as that, and take away only what you need from it.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29