Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Old Hand
Old Hand
Hi

This is a question and feedback from one of our members.
He is a well known person in the motorcycle world and his research is impressive.
On our forum he has documentet several very rare interesting rebuilds.
Now he is soon to start yet another one but finds our forum to be very outdated regarding how it handles images so here is his input
Morgan,
I assume you don't allow posting of photos directly to your site because of the storage space required. However, I plan to thoroughly document the rebuild of my 1928 Ariel (which is still making its way through Customs at LAX), possibly with video as well, and the prospect of the mind-numbing process your site requires to resize each photo, upload to the sluggish Photobucket, copy the URL, and paste it into the thread, is pretty unappealing. Especially since computers easily can do all the drudge work, allowing the poster to simply drag and drop a photo and have it automatically resized and inserted into a post. I'm looking into various options and it would help to know if your are planning an upgrade anytime soon that will make posting photos a lot more user friendly.
Charles

I then refered him to the direct upload topic on this forum and then he replied

Morgan,
Well, I might have missed it in that discussion, but it appears images -- if they've been properly sized ahead of time -- can be attached at the end of a post by dragging/dropping into an attachment manager. However, I'd use the expression "close, but no cigar," but you might not understand that Americanism, and it doesn't apply anyway, because attaching images this way isn't even close to being acceptable. They have to be embedded in the text so the text describing each image is located with the image, and not have all the images bunched at the end so the reader has to figure out which image a particular piece of text is describing..

It's hard to believe the guy in charge of implementing this for your site doesn't understand the importance (but, it doesn't seem so), so perhaps I missed it in the thread. What is needed is a way to drag/drop a photo of any size into a thread and have it automatically resized to fit the constraints. The original image can be deleted after resizing so as not to waste storage space. The thread would look like:

The following photo shows the rod attached to the crank:
[photo drag/dropped here]
As can be seen, the rod is cracked, which is clearer in the following close-up:
[close-up photo drag/dropped here]
The rod can be seen flying apart in the following slow-motion movie clip:
[movie clip drag/dropped here]
Charles

Well I'm sure he thinks I need to convert to a more modern forum but I like it here and will stick with UBBThreads. However I would like to receive comments and suggestions
after you read this post.
Thanks
Morgan

Last edited by Morgan; 04/30/2017 7:07 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
He could upload his images into the forum gallery, This would also give him a url for the images.

In line uploads have been a request before isaac got his hands on the software, I don't know if its actually possible, it would be great if it could be.

Another option,
Is that he creates a new post per description and images upload. That would almost be in line.

I don't visit many forums these days, other than ubb forums, so don't know if in line uploads are out there in the big world.

The new upload manager is a huge step forward.

We now have a solid modern base forum, the new features are not that far away, I dont know what they are but we are coming out of the darkness.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Morgan
This is a question and feedback from one of our members.
He is a well known person in the motorcycle world and his research is impressive.
On our forum he has documentet several very rare interesting rebuilds.
Now he is soon to start yet another one but finds our forum to be very outdated regarding how it handles images so here is his input

Morgan,
I assume you don't allow posting of photos directly to your site because of the storage space required. However, I plan to thoroughly document the rebuild of my 1928 Ariel (which is still making its way through Customs at LAX), possibly with video as well, and the prospect of the mind-numbing process your site requires to resize each photo, upload to the sluggish Photobucket, copy the URL, and paste it into the thread, is pretty unappealing. Especially since computers easily can do all the drudge work, allowing the poster to simply drag and drop a photo and have it automatically resized and inserted into a post. I'm looking into various options and it would help to know if your are planning an upgrade anytime soon that will make posting photos a lot more user friendly.
Charles

Thanks.
This has already been addressed in the Changelogs and will be in the 7.6.1 release:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...hreads-7-6-1-not-yet-released#Post259969

Originally Posted by Charles
Morgan,
Well, I might have missed it in that discussion, but it appears images -- if they've been properly sized ahead of time -- can be attached at the end of a post by dragging/dropping into an attachment manager. However, I'd use the expression "close, but no cigar," but you might not understand that Americanism, and it doesn't apply anyway, because attaching images this way isn't even close to being acceptable. They have to be embedded in the text so the text describing each image is located with the image, and not have all the images bunched at the end so the reader has to figure out which image a particular piece of text is describing..

It's hard to believe the guy in charge of implementing this for your site doesn't understand the importance (but, it doesn't seem so), so perhaps I missed it in the thread. What is needed is a way to drag/drop a photo of any size into a thread and have it automatically resized to fit the constraints. The original image can be deleted after resizing so as not to waste storage space. The thread would look like:

The following photo shows the rod attached to the crank:
[photo drag/dropped here]
As can be seen, the rod is cracked, which is clearer in the following close-up:
[close-up photo drag/dropped here]
The rod can be seen flying apart in the following slow-motion movie clip:
[movie clip drag/dropped here]
Charles

Create an introduction post.
Reply with Step1 (attach related media)
Reply with Step2 (attach related media)
Reply with Step3 (attach related media)
Reply with StepXX (attach related media)
Reply with StepXX (attach related media)
Reply with wrap-up

One topic.

It's hard to believe the guy in charge of implementing this for your site doesn't understand the importance

Sorry, I'm just the new guy here. I was given something from 2005, And I've been working on it with as much time as I can throw at it. Im well aware of how things work in modern times and how people think things should work today. UBB.threads 7.6.0 currently handles uploads and displays them just as Facebook handles them. The text that the user enters is above, and formatted however they want their text formatted, and whatever images, links, files they attach, are placed below their text in a gallery or listed format. This is also similar to how Gmail has done it for many years now.

If I am reading your user's comment correctly, he is asking for a WYSIWYG "Word Processor" style editor.

Thats coming along soon, but there are many other pieces that are getting attention at the same time. There really wasnt much in the way of new/fixed things happening to UBB.threads since it was originally sold in 2009. But there was a lot of much-needed security and minor bug fixes placed in to it by SD up until the end of 2013. Then in 2015, when I came in to working with the software, my goal was to bring it up to the current standards of the day. My first major release brought many many many updates. I'm also posting progress reports every few days.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that; No one is ignoring the requests. They are being worked on.
Especially the one about bringing the software up to modern-day expected-standards.

This is where I came in:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/256313/7-5-9-changelog

What you're using now:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/258608/7-6-0-changelog

Some of whats in the next version:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/259883/7-6-1-changelog-not-yet-released

Again, thanks for your feedback. It helps determine the direction this software should take
Thanks!

Last edited by isaac; 04/30/2017 4:13 PM. Reason: added some how-to directions.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Old Hand
Old Hand
Thank you very much for your informative reply Isaac smile I will forward this to Charles.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Old Hand
Old Hand
Here is the feedback from Charles Isaac.

Morgan,
Thought of as an on-line "shop manual," Britbike wouldn't be very useful if posts describing technical matter consisted only of text, with all illustrations referred to by that text lumped together at the end.

This is also similar to how Gmail has done it for many years now.
If I am reading your user's comment correctly, he is asking for a WYSIWYG "Word Processor" style editor.

This sounds like it could be promising, although writing about how it's done with gmail in a seemingly-positive way is a bit worrisome, because how email is used is quite limiting if imposed on your web site. However, his next sentence, that I'm looking for a 'word processor' style editor, is close to the mark. In that sense Britbike is currently a lot more like WordStar of c1985 than Word of 2017. Actually, it doesn't have to be WSYSIWYG because the way of highlighting text isn't burdensome, and 'preview' shows what it will look like. The issue is simply that of embedding images in a user-friendly way.

WordStar is a good analog of the problem. Even though not WYSYWIG, WordStar's way of handling italics, bold, etc. was OK, as it Britbike forum's. But, figures had to be separately created and sized on a reducing photocopy machine, measured for size, and then enough hard returns inserted to leave room for it. That certainly reduced the number of figures I ever felt like inserting in a WordStar document.
Charles

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Sorry. I dont know what WordStar is. And I dont know why he is talking about sending manuals and how-to articles through email.

Neither of these have anything to do with forum software.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Isaac, this message was a PM for me so maybe my mistake to forward it all here. I have no clue either about the wordstar and the online manual is motorcycle related but I think its a way to describe a thread that is about restoring a bike from ground up very detailed with photos and images embedded along the way.

I'm going to give you an example from past threads

This is a threads about a special rare model, right noe there are 337 replies and 341.180 views
lots of photos and images.
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627669&page=1

There are several threads like that and now he has written 400 pages for one new thread and have loads of images to post with it for this "on-line manual" so it helps to be able to embedd the images.
I have now offered to help upload all images to a specific folder on my server so he could use image tags direct in the text.

Anyway the intention was to give feedback and I thank you for taking time to read it.
Cheers

Last edited by Morgan; 05/01/2017 5:00 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It looks like he needs a find a place to host his images. And he is using PhotoPost to do the hosting.

But now you are offering to perform that service for him which is probably a good thing. Especially since images on PhotoPost expire after some time, or can easily be removed by the third-party.

He can either create his manuals using BBCode or if you give him permission, he could post them using his own formatting in HTML. But no matter what coding he chooses to post them with, he will need to have his images hosted somewhere. Which sounds like something you are already doing for him.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It seems to me that he could upload the attachments to his post, left click on the generated post so they open in lightbox, then right click the image and choose "Copy Image Location" (or however it's worded in his browser), then copy that URL into the [img] tags; I have done this for years (well, minus the Lightbox step) on my PC and Gardening communities, and it's pretty simple to do.

I don't see what could be done to make it easier on him other than to rewrite the system, which could at some point happen, but there are so many items that need attention short-term during our race of getting things updated to display as modern web components...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
I Think we are on top of this now, the main thing was to give feedback about the needs of a user friendly image upload.
I know you guys are working hard developing UBBThreads and as Always we look forward to next version smile
Thanks and Cheers

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
A
A Offline
Isaac and Gizmo

This thread clearly addresses a capability that is very important to our own UBB forums. Our community is aviation related and many of our posts are a mix of narrative and images displayed in line with the text. The text will describe a certain detail supported by the picture and then the text will continue on to another detail with supporting picture. A lightbox gallery with embedded captions does not support the need. In addition post text that says something like:

As you can see the wing spar corrosion can easily hide from normal inspections -- See Image below -- and can destroy the aircraft over time.
Corrosion Image Here

The procedure to address this problem is as follows:

Step 1 text (might be a lengthy paragraph)
Step 1 picture(s)

Step 2 text (might be a lengthy paragraph)
Step 2 pictures

Tools required
Tools picture

Part failure description (might be a lengthy paragraph)
Part failure picture
New part description
New part picture
New part installed picture

Detailed text with pictures in context within the post is critical to conveying information in many of our posts.

Multiple posts with text and one picture is a kludge compared to inline text and pictures within a single post.

We have the original SirDude inline upload modification and although it has limitations it makes it easy for our users to create the type of post described above. Before the modification we had to do the whole dance of offline resize, file manager upload, display pictures to grab URLs, Edit the original post to insert img tags. It was a constant headache and confused many of our forum participants.

For us the solution does not need to be drag and drop to the post edit. What we really want is the ability when editing a post to upload pictures with automatic re-size (ver 7.6.1) and drop an img tag or equivalent into the post as it is being edited.

Other files such as PDF are fine for us as Fail Manager uploads that can be viewed by clicking on the File Manager link.

Abbott

PS. Wordstar is a word processor from long ago. It was originally for the CP/M operating system and was ported to PC/MS-DOS. Earlier versions of MS Word and WordPerfect had the ability to read and convert Wordstar docs to their own format. There are still some standalone file-view programs out there that can read a Wordstar format but in general I don't think UBB is responsible for supporting a universal file viewer. Might be a nice feature but certainly not a requirement and most of today's universal viewers don't support the old Wordstar format. You can still download Wordstar and install it up through Windows 10. In any case there are ways to convert Wordstar formats to a newer supported format but the owner of the content should really be the one to make the effort to preserve the content in a current file format.

Last edited by Abbott; 06/06/2017 11:02 AM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Abbott, thanks!

Originally Posted by Abbott
For us the solution does not need to be drag and drop to the post edit. What we really want is the ability when editing a post to upload pictures with automatic re-size (ver 7.6.1) and drop an img tag or equivalent into the post as it is being edited.
I believe this is what you're referring to: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...hreads-7-6-1-not-yet-released#Post259969
Additionally, a "copy-paste" or "click-drop" or "drag-drop"...etc type of image-insert system for files uploaded with the attachment manager, will be added in a future release (its on the agenda), which should make in-lining of those images in to wherever you want them within your posts, easy. This should also have the benefits of using the permission manager to control who gets access to see what attachments.

Originally Posted by Abbott
Other files such as PDF are fine for us as Fail Manager uploads that can be viewed by clicking on the File Manager link.
An updated feature for in-lining PDFs has been written for 7.6.1. You can see it in action over here.
NOTE: Its not posted in the Progress Reports yet, since it has not yet been merged in to the main source code.

A
A Offline
Isaac

The images in post 259969 show all the text in the post body and thumbnails of all the images arrayed below the post body. This is not what I was referring to. What I was trying to get at is that images need to be interspersed with text in the body of the post to keep everything in context.

Opening paragraph(s)

Text about image 1
Image 1

Text about image 2
Image 2

continues...

Closing paragraph(s)

The ability to copy/patse,or drag thumbnails of images uploade with file manager into the text and the image will display at that location within the text of the post. If I read your post correctly this could work.

The inline display of PDF's is pretty cool! It will be useful.

Just thought I would mention that you should look at the sample brochure you used for example. It is an example of text and related images. The brochure would not make sense if the wheel and door color picture thumbnails all showed together at the end of the brochure. Context is important. smile

Really looking forward to the release of 7.6.1

Abbott

PS. Hope the puppy is doing well.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Just like a brochure has sections, you'd create a new post for attachments of that section.

We're trying to make a modern forum out of an ancient code base here, and it's not a brochure system; I'm sure you could hire a private developer to make you any type of system you'd want, but for a forum we have a staple set of functionality that we really need to work on, versus fluffing things up like competing software.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
A Offline
I guess my reference to brochure was misleading. Lets just call it a single-post narrative that includes text with interspersed images to help with context.

The UBB ancient platform supports this very well with image tags. It is just a somewhat convoluted process (current UBB version) to re-size pictures, upload with file manager, write text, save post, open images to copy and save URLs, edit post, insert image links at correct locations in text, save changes.

If the new version allows file manager inline image re-size and there is a simple way to get the image URL onto the clipboard while writing the post so it can be pasted as (or into) image tags then it would significantly streamline the task.

The real hassle is the need to submit the post, display images and copy the URL, then return to edit the post to add the image tags with URL. The fewest steps to upload an image and get a correct URL with image tags at the desired location in the text.

Abbott

A
A Offline
Inline picture in version 7.6.1 as a reply to earlier post

First Click Reply and Use Full Editor

[Linked Image]

Use attachment manager to upload images. Attached files show as a listing in Attachment manager with a very small thumbnail.

[Linked Image]

Right-click the thumbnail and copy the URL. Note that the URL is for the tiny thumbnail in a temp location so it is not usable in the post text

Code
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/tmp/2520.jpg

While writing the post there is no way to copy the URL for the full image or to display the full image and copy the URL.

[Linked Image]

So then we click "Post Reply" and we can see a series of thumbnails across the bottom in the attachment manager section.

[Linked Image]

Right-click the thumbnails and copy the image URL (It actually is the URL to the full size image) or left click the image to display in the lightbox. Right-click the image and copy the image address URL.

[Linked Image]

Open a text editor and paste the link. You do this because it is a lot easier to harvest the URLs all at once and hold them for a later step.

Code
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/2519/filename/ExampleUseFullEditor.jpg

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/2520/filename/Example%20Attachment%20Manager.jpg

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/2521/filename/ExampleOriginalPostBeforeSubmit.jpg

Collect the image address URLs for each uploaded image

Click Edit to add to your original post. Note that thumbnails are not shown in the attachment manager area. If you click Attachment Manager you see tiny thumbnails but right-click and copy the image address and you will see it is the URL for the thumbnail, not the full image.

Code
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/files/2519.jpg

Return to your edits

Place the cursor in a location where you want your image to display.

Click the inline image button at the top of the editor (I would insert an image here but this forum allows a maximum of 5 attachment)

Copy the URL of the image you want to show inline from your text editor list and paste it into the field in the popup box and click OK. You now have a valid image tag in the location where you want the image to display in the text.

Code
[img]https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/2519/filename/ExampleUseFullEditor.jpg[/img]

Repeat for all the other attachments you want to display inline.

There must be a way to streamline this process?

In order of preference:
Place cursor where you want the image to display. Display thumbnails in the edit post attachment manager section (not the popup box). Right-click on thumbnail and see an option to paste URL as image tag at cursor location. URL must be the final location and not a temp location.

Modify inline image button to allow listing of URLs for images in attachment manager. Select from list and OK creates image tags with URL (final location).

When initially writing the post provide a way to obtain the URL for the full size image in its final location. If possible allow the author an option to view the full image. Right-click and copy the URL to the clipboard so it can be pasted into the inline image button URL box.

Two Step Option (Post Reply to move images to final location. Then edit post and insert image tags with the correct URLs

Write post and attach images then Post Reply. Edit the post and have a method to copy image URLs inot image tags as described above.

Abbott
Attachments
Example Attachment Manager.jpg

Last edited by Abbott; 08/16/2017 4:31 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I get that you're wanting to have a feature added, but this behavior has never been in UBB.threads; UBB.threads is an internet discussion forum title, I have not ever seen embedding options like you're asking for in any competing products.

As the images have yet to be attributed to a post (as the MySQL last insert id command doesn't run until the post is created) the images are held in a temporary folder until the post is created.

Where in the future we may introduce other methods of embedding attachments to a post, the current method below is the suggested method:
  • Go to the Full Editor page (either by creating a new topic or clicking the button in the Quick Reply box)
  • Click the Attachment Manager link and add images to your post.
  • Add a subject and the body of your post.
  • Create your new topic/post.
  • Copy the URLs to the images either in the attachment list or inline image display (note the "Max File Size for Displaying Uploaded Images Inline" option in the Control Panel at CP -> Display Settings -> General ->Topic & Post Page Settings)
  • Edit the post and add your images using image tags.
  • Submit the now edited post

A
A Offline
Gizmo

While I agree the "Inline upload" modification to UBB is not the cleanest modification to UBB, it does work and our forum participants use it all the time. In fact they take time to say how much they like the capability and how much easier it is to put pictures into a post on our site as compared to any other forum platform.

So you are 100% correct in everything you say including the shortcomings of the modification code. I am also correct that it is highly valued by our forum community even though it is not perfect and not supported by UBB.

Abbott

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Then you should contact the modification vendor to have him write a version which will work with current, and future, software versions.

Again, this feature is not a stock feature of UBB.threads, it has never been a stock feature, and it isn't the direction that we're currently taking the software.

You can read about the shortcomings of this modification at UBBWiki - What happened to picupload?.

The feature request has been noted.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29