Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
We support our business primarily through the ads we sell on our forums and site.

We upgraded to the latest available version of UBB with excited anticipation of it being mobile friendly, only to discover
that the islands that are supposed to show in the left and right columns disappear when viewed on a mobile device.

Our advertisers aren't happy because a lot of their business comes through people with mobile devices.
Is there any way you know of to fix this so they will show? (I checked, they are not using ad blocker, nor am I).

One was using an iPhone 5, I'm using an LG / Android based phone. I have no problem seeing ads on our main site, but nothing shows on the forums except banners that aren't in islands.

The Piano Forum is at: forum.pianoworld.com
Happily using UBB since May 2001

Tech info:

Server Information
UBB.threads Version7.6.0
Release20170223
Server TypeLinux
Server Load0.95
Web ServerApache/2.4.10
PHP Version5.6.30-0+deb8u1
MySQL Version10.0.23-MariaDB-0+deb8u1-log
Database Size5.13 GB
SQL Error Logs1465 (87.46 MB)

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Best,

Frank B. / Piano World

Founder/Host
Piano World
https://PianoWorld.com
Home of the world famous Piano Forums.
http://forum.PianoWorld.com
88,000+ registered members
Over 2.5 million posts, and growing...
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Prior to UBB.threads v7.6.0 the forums where unreadable on a 320px mobile screen; all of the content was presented in Desktop view, zoomed completely out. Imagine two 300px sidebars, and the forum content area, all attempting to be presented on a 320px screen.

You can hack out the mobile feature by opening the /templates/default/header.tpl and replacing:
Code
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=3">

With
Code
<meta name="viewport" content="width=960, maximum-scale=3">

Which will attempt to display your content as being 960px wide, but you will no longer be receiving search engine bonuses for a mobile forum (if your current ads in the content area allow for it, which would mean they need to either be smaller than 310px or be responsive, for sites that want to allow a mobile experience).

If you remove the mobile functionality, your mobile users will not have a good mobile experience with your site.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
To continue with what Gizmo wrote (thank you!)

Attached screenshots show the difference on MOBILES with default vs forced columns settings

1) Default Mobile View
2) ALWAYS ON COLUMNS, Edited viewport, width=768
3) ALWAYS ON COLUMNS, Edited viewport, width=960

When setting the viewport to a 960px width, mobile users will need to zoom out on each page they visit, just to view the entire page content. Doing this means they may be placing their gesture figures over the ads and possibly causing false clicks on those ads.

Advertisers generally dont appreciate paying for false clicks.
Mobile users generally dont appreciate having to zoom out on each visited page to navigate it, and then zoom back in to read the content on that single page.

Are you taking advantage of header ads, footer ads, and ads below the first post? If not, it may be time to update your website from the outdated "desktop only" formatting. UBB.threads now uses responsive design. Much of the world is now using mobile devices rather than only desktop computers for visiting websites.

Further reading at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design
and
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/01/guidelines-for-responsive-web-design/

edit1:
4) DESKTOP ONLY - Viewport line has been completely removed

If you want a DESKTOP ONLY experience given to all of your users, completely remove the following line from templates/default/header.tpl

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=3">

edit2:
Screenshots were taken using a OnePlus3T smartphone (Android). 400px with a CSS pixel-ratio of 2.5+
for reference: iPhone4/5 (320px portrait), iPhone6 (375px portrait), iPhone6 PLUS (414px portrait). This is "maximum number of pixels wide while displaying in portrait/standard smartphone presentation".
https://mydevice.io/devices/
Attachments
DefaultWithoutColumns.png WithColumns768.png WithColumns960.png WithoutViewport.png

Last edited by isaac; 09/26/2017 5:00 PM.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Thank you for the detailed replies.
I realize much of the world is using mobile devices, hence my excitement when I found out the latest version would be mobile friendly.

My challenge is that at any given time we can have a dozen ads to show (at 150x150 normally).
This is in addition to the full sized banner ads that show within forum threads. Ads are our lifeblood.

Our advertisers like having their ads display in the left or right columns because they show up there the matter where the user is in the forums.

I wondered if setting something like this in a CSS sheet would help, as it would automatically allow the images to resize, and if so, how/where would I ad it in the UBB code?...

img {
width: auto ;
max-width: 100% ;
height: auto ;
}

And, would I then be able to set it so the left and right columns come up in a mobile device (even if it means they are at the bottom requiring scrolling)?

As always, thank you for your help and all the great work you're doing.

Best,

Frank B.

Founder/Host
Piano World
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Something similar to that is already in the CSS for post images. This will not resolve your impossible request beyond what was already posted for you.

Just think for a moment on what you are asking of a mobile screen to do.

Read the two replies posted for you, and compare with the 4 screenshots within the post you replied to.

Requesting that TWO 150px wide ads appear alongside readable post content on a ~ 375px wide mobile screen will give your mobile users two greatly frustrating results:
1) The entire content that a user came to your website to read, will be condensed in to a single middle vertical column. Math says 150 x 2 = 300. Average mobile screen is a 320px - 400px "CSS pixel-ratio." This leaves less than about 80px for content/words on a 5.5" - 6" phablet mobile device (such as an iPhone PLUS series, Galaxy Note series...etc)
and
2) The user will still need to zoom in and out, just to navigate through your forum. All content, navigation elements, and ads will be too small to read or tap on.
Reposted image example:

[Linked Image]

Look at the rest of the screenshots attached to my posts above, as you reread that post again. Suggestion #4 is the best possible solution to what you're requesting; completely removing the mobile experience from your web forums. That will produce the following result.

[Linked Image]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The following two images demonstrate the difference between "DESKTOP on mobile" and "MOBILE on mobile"

As you can see, the DESKTOP on mobile makes the text nearly impossible to read and click on. Though, this is what you are asking for. Instructions for modifying the software have been posted above, in the bolded #4 of my first reply. Variations of different locked screen widths are in Gizmo's post, just above that.

DESKTOP on a mobile device:
[Linked Image]

MOBILE on a mobile device:
[Linked Image]

I hope these screenshots are helpful to you and your advertisers. At this point, you might want to ask whats more important for your website.
a) Partially satisfying your advertisers with a less than desirable user experience, and displaying their ads at a fraction of the size, in a tiny and barely readable format.
or
b) Selling ad space as:
...1) "Mobile friendly responsive leader-board ads" within the header, footer, and between the content. These target mobile users.
...2) "Desktop rectangle and skyscraper ads" within the side columns. These target desktop users.
...3) A combination of both. These target both desktop and mobile users.
c) Have a third-party manage your advertising blocks, such as Google Adsense, Amazon Affiliates, eBay, Vibrant Media, Chitika, GumGum, InfoLinks, adBrite...etc.

edit:
The mobile device used in the photos
Device: Google Nexus 5
Display: 5 inch
CSS Resolution: 360px x 640px
CSS Pixel Ratio: 3

Last edited by isaac; 09/28/2017 2:01 PM. Reason: added relevant device information

I don't want anyone trying to view the left/right columns on a small screen.

Our primary site is responsive, if you visit a page like: https://pianoworld.com/faqs/taking-care-of-your-piano/ using a mobile phone you only get one column and the ads (normally seen in the right column) automatically come up below the content in the one column.

As seen in this screen capture (attached).

Apparently what I'm asking for is outside the scope of the ubb, which means I will need to look at the other options you suggested for displaying ads, as mobile responsiveness is a must these days.

thank you for your help and suggestions.

Best,
Frank B. / Piano World
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-09-28-13-56-40.png

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
In your first post, you said you were unhappy that you were getting a mobile experience on a mobile device.

Originally Posted by PianoWorld
We upgraded to the latest available version of UBB with excited anticipation of it being mobile friendly, only to discover
that the islands that are supposed to show in the left and right columns disappear when viewed on a mobile device.

Our advertisers aren't happy because a lot of their business comes through people with mobile devices.
Is there any way you know of to fix this so they will show? (I checked, they are not using ad blocker, nor am I).

Your most recent posts contradicts what your first post is asking for.

Originally Posted by PianoWorld
I don't want anyone trying to view the left/right columns on a small screen.

At this point, its not exactly clear to me -- can you explain in detail what it is you want?

I'd like to help you get what you're looking for smile

cheers

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
NOTE: On mobile devices there is also a link at the bottom of each page where any columns would be displayed
"show/hide columns on this page"

Taping on that link will turn the columns on for that single page. If you navigate away from that page, or refresh it, or tap on the link again, the columns will slide away and be hidden again. This link allows the columns to be accessible from whatever device you're using.

Though, displaying the columns will push the information off the screen, since now there is not enough real estate on the screen to show the page content, plus the columns.

I'm just trying to find the least painful way to deliver our customer's ads on desktop and mobile devices.
Our advertisers like the button banner ads on either side of the forums because they remain visible when the user drills down into the different forums and threads.

We do sell some ads inside the content, but that limits the ad to a specific forum. While some advertisers actually prefer this option, the majority like the exposure they get from the left/right column ads.

As has been pointed out, I may just have to live with the limitations, or redesign how we deliver (and sell) ads.

Again, thank you for all the input, much appreciated.

Founder/Host
Piano World
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
there was a solution posted for you.
twice.

and with screenshots.
twice.

if your advertisers insist on your website being "desktop only," you need to decide if those advertisers are more important than your content readers, and do what your advertisers are requesting that you do with your website.

ubbt75x was not mobile friendly. it provided a DESKTOP ONLY experience. it only targets desktop users.

ubbt76x provides both a desktop and mobile friendly experience. it targets the desktop user group (which is currently in the minority of users) and it targets the mobile user group (which is currently the majority of users).

adjust your website accordingly. if you want a desktop-only experience, scroll up and read how to do that. its a simple modification. edit the header.tpl file and remove a single line.

in addition to the simple solutionS posted here, ive also sent you a private message with html code examples of how to write your own custom template for mobiles and desktops.

and in addition, within that private message, ive included a referral over to someone you can contact/hire to write this custom code for you.

there may be a misunderstanding happening here. despite this, i hope you can come to a middle ground between your user-base and your advertiser's wants.

cheers smile

Last edited by isaac; 09/30/2017 5:19 PM. Reason: added strike through and addendum stuffs

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
REVIVING THIS THREAD TO CONTINUE WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The conversation prior to this post were regarding UBB.threads 7.6.0.
This reply is regarding a feature added to UBB.threads 7.6.1.

---

If your forum layout is not completely mobile friendly (responsive), it is advised that until you are able to resolve this, that you Toggle the "Disable Viewport" setting at Control Panel > Primary. This includes if your forums are using any Site Navigation in the side custom-portal islands. As all site navigation should be in the top/header section of each page.

Disable Viewport
This will disable the viewport. The viewport element allows your forums to conform to devices with smaller screens, such as smartphones and tablets.

This feature was added in UBB.threads 7.6.1
SOURCE: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...e-ubb-threads-7-6-1-changelog#Post260649
[NEW] Responsive layout on mobile devices (viewport) can be disabled from the Control Panel. This setting disables responsive pages for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. All pages viewed on mobile devices will have a desktop style layout similar to the old non-mobile versions of UBB.threads (v7.5.x and older).

note: I received PM with this same question. It's always been in the best interest for the group to post those types of questions to the public forums so that others with the same questions can benefit from reading the answers.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Just chiming in here, my traffic on my sites receives more mobile traffic than desktop browsers these days; I would highly advise to everyone to take the time to build a mobile friendly design for your sites; you don't have to shove a million ads in your sidebars, you can modify your forums to place additional ad spaces within the product (like what I do here).

Running a mobile friendly site, especially if you deliver your content over a secure (HTTPS/SSL) connection will increase your traffic.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo,
I'd love to be able to have our forums https, BUT... we have thousands of pictures that are hosted elsewhere and not secure, which seems to anger the browser gods.
I have taken the advice about the mobile version though, moving the important ads that were on the sides to the bottom (or inside the threads).

Founder/Host
Piano World

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29