Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Old Hand
Old Hand
Hi,

I have now had a forum for more than 20 years, members were old in the forst place as we are into vintage motorcycles.
With my last email sent out to all members I found out that some don't use their bikes anymore and some has passed away.
I have even set up a Remembrance Forum in order to remember fallen members.

Todays question is how to handle this. many members has post a lot and I really don't want to delete them as the posts and the content are relevant for others and will be for many years.
How should one take care of this. The only thing I have done is to add "RIP" after the member display name.
How do you take care of this? Do you put them in a special group? For instance I I want to communicate with a group or some members then I would not like to address the members that has passed away.

I'm all ears to hear how you handle the issue.

Some people just say please that they wish to withdraw cause of age..

Thanks

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd do a custom member title "In Remembrance" and leave it at that. And disable "accept admin emails" for their account.

I don't allow members to close their accounts, and I certainly don't allow the posts to be purged (it derails topics, and you lose content).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
.... And also turn off their private messaging....

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If they are not dead, leave their accounts as is. though if you feel like you want to do "something," add them to another group, and adjust the permissions as you choose. This makes adjusting the permissions on the members of that new group easier, if you choose to updated them later in time.

Some people who dont use their bikes any more may come back to sell a bike related item later, or look for an old friend or pm, or just come back to see how things have changed from year to year.

Some may never come back.

Though, whatever you choose to do, and if its important to you to do something, make an announcement to your current members, add a clause in to the new user registration/rules page, and then do what you want to do with those members. This is 100% your call. Its your business that you are running smile

As a side note/some backstory slightly related to this topic; because I was working on other projects at the time (but still running and customizing ubbt software for my personal businesses), I didn't have any need for interacting on the ubbcentral.com forums from 2006 to 2011. Though my account here (and ubbdev.com) was created in 2001 (?) and i was actively reading until 2005, but I had not posted much until around 2013. And here i am now, as a person currently dumping the most amount of ideas => code in to this software. If I had came back in 2013 and my account was gone, i probably would also be gone... somewhere else. working on some other enjoyable coding projects. This is just something to think about before making any major account changes. Whatever choices you make now, may have good/bad affects down the road.

cheers smile

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Old Hand
Old Hand
Thanks for the good advice I'll do a mix of your suggestions.

I do remember one member that wanted to leav a few years back and he wanted his post off the forum and I eventually deleted his posts.
it was a dissaster he had 4000+ posts and many threads he did not start also went in the drain, the forum suffer from this even today so no more deleting members with posts.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
The account is the member, and i will delete upon request, EU says we have to.

The posts belong to the forum, covered in terms and conditions of posting on a forum.

Deceased members.
Never ending ban.

Or if I remember,

Delete Member
"Delete the account leaving posts and name.
The members title shows as unregistered."

Ive only had two members pass away.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29