Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
I've had the Registration Queue turned on for ages (mainly for spammers) and am thinking it is probably discouraging some from coming back if they have to wait hours, or a Day to be manually approved.

What are my options? How are most Forums handling signups?

Can the Stop Forum Spam feature automatically approve registrations if it determines Good IP and Email?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I only use the CAPTCHA on new registrations with Stop Forum Spam set to "auto with message"; the only spammers that get through are actual humans, and it's very rare.

If you opt to insert an API key from Stop Forum Spam you can submit users to the database and track how many users you submit through their site.

Stop Forum Spam not only blocks spammers during registration, but it will also check against their database when the login page is accessed, so if someone gets a registration through before being added to the database, it'll get them again if they've been added since the registration.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I only use the CAPTCHA on new registrations with Stop Forum Spam set to "auto with message"; the only spammers that get through are actual humans, and it's very rare.

If you opt to insert an API key from Stop Forum Spam you can submit users to the database and track how many users you submit through their site.

Stop Forum Spam not only blocks spammers during registration, but it will also check against their database when the login page is accessed, so if someone gets a registration through before being added to the database, it'll get them again if they've been added since the registration.
So, if someone gets thru CAPTCHA and their Email and IP are good they get through?
What happens if they have a Bad IP or Email?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If they have a bad IP they are prompted and cannot continue without petitioning their IP address be removed from the Stop Forum Spam database.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Do you, or can you use the email verification process?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
IMHO, you should always validate email addresses.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Email validations is and has been the basic internet standard for over a decade. That and Captia tests. Anything beyond that double combo is just gravy... and more than what most other websites have set up.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
So, let me see if I have this straight..

If I:

Turn off Registration Queue
Leave on Email Verification
Enable CAPTCHA
Set Stop Forum Spam to Auto (with or without message)

Then Registrations will succeed or fail on their own? I don't have to Approve?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
yes. that's correct.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
I'll give it a try, Thanks!

Mainly because in the UK most ISP are blocking bulk spam from forums and alike, so an email verification can be blocked by an ISP.

I have my forums set to e-mail is required, but not verified as they will mostly not get that email.

Capcha is on and registration que is on as well as detect forum spam.

A request on our registration forums is location, and because I check each registration you can pretty much get a good feel if the user is real or not.

Stop forum spam is a great addition, and has seen me delete on email address but not so much on a red ip address.

I do wish there was a better authentication process out there, not just with our forum but everywhere. In my opinion running a busy forum and ISP blocking our domain wrongly is pretty normal.

Google accounts strangly work fine, but that could be due to anylitics being connected or adverts.

Ive tried to let our forums run on automatic for registration but it just does not work in our case.

I have a note in our registration process saying your registration is a manual process. And watch for your name to show up in new members...

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Mark S,

Thanks for your response,

I've been manually approving for over 10 years now myself and have noticed many signups don't verify the email. I've wondered if the verification emails end up in spam folders, or they just don't get it.

I agree, generally it has been easy to spot the spammer registrations by the info they put in and a quick Google search.

I'm going to run for awhile with the settings above and see how it goes.

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29