Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#261229 03/19/2018 1:56 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Since updating to the latest version, I've been seeing a consistent number of these coming in.
Hello,
I am trying to register for an account, but when I check the " I have read, and agree to abide by these rules " box and click continue, it doesn't move forward to a new screen.  That same screen just keeps cycling.  I have enabled cookies and popups and still can't move forward.
I'm still getting registrations every day, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the software. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and perhaps figured out what the cause was.

The Stovebolt Geek
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Server Information
UBB.threads Version 7.7.5
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Do you have StopForumSpam enabled? And is itt set to "Silent Fail" ?

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yes, it's enabled, and no, it's not set to Silent Fail. It's set to Auto with Message. This only happens to a handful of people. I think it's probably browser-related, but it's not been a big enough problem for me to try tracking down the cause of it. Whenever someone emails me with the problem, I just offer to create their account for them.

Last edited by Baldeagle; 03/19/2018 3:56 PM.

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Are your logs generating any sort of error when this behavior is occurring? It sounds like something is stopping the script from being executed during that time period.

Do the users in questions have any sort of formatting to their names that is out of the ordinary? I know that the PHP Suhosin security module will up and refuse to load at all when content on a page matches at all with a keyword (and the default keywords are quite common words); but any actions will be logged in your webserver logs.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just checked the logs but didn't see anything useful. Right now, my browser (Safari) is doing it. I check the box to agree to the terms, click on Submit, and I'm returned to the same screen. Even though I did it several times, I found nothing in the error logs at all from my IP address and nothing related to newuser.html. Very strange. When I tested it earlier today, my browser worked fine.

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I just attempted to register on your forums at stovebolt.com (https), and was successfully brought to "New User Registration" page after accepting "Forum Rules"

My test browsers were:

WINDOWS 10 --
Chrome 66.0.3359.33
Firefox 59.0
Microsoft Edge 17.17123
Microsoft IE 11.0

ANDROID 8.1 --
Chrome Mobile 65.0.3325.109
Firefox mobile 59.0

I had zero issues using those browsers.
(I didnt bother testing with ios/safari or windowsphone/edge.)

Though, when I attempted to go through with Firefox Focus 4.0.2 (on Android), I was able to reproduce your described error, on stovebolt.com (https)

This leads me to believe that the issue may be related to either a "Privacy Add-on" or "blocker" installed to one of the browsers which are reporting issues.

This could instead be related to "Cookie Path" or "Custom Cookie Prefix" you set for your forums
Control Panel / Primary / Advanced Settings: "Cookie Path" and "Custom Cookie Prefix" (See attached screenshot)

This may also be related to your SSL settings.

As this issue is something I am unable to reproduce on UBBCentral.com, or UBBDev.com (different servers with different SSL settings and different PHP versions), and unable to reproduce the issue on any of the three other servers where I have UBB.threads vanilla installs running, with ALL of the browsers mentioned above, even FF Focus, you may want to review/adjust the items I've listed above, on your own server.

Im sorry that I couldnt be more helpful to you, but I hope to have given you some direction to further debug with.
Attachments
20180319_23-36-58.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I appreciate your input. As I said in my initial post, I'm still not sure it's a big enough problem to spend time tracking it down. It only happens occasionally. I'll take a look at the Cookie settings. I just now tested it again, with the same laptop and instance of Safari that I wrote about last night, and it worked fine. So, whatever it is is apparently transitory.

What specifically are you referring to WRT SSL settings?

UPDATE: Cookie path is set to the default, and I don't use a cookie prefix. (It's blank.)

Last edited by Baldeagle; 03/20/2018 5:51 PM.

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, domspeak), 353 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29