Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#259986 03/29/2017 5:28 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Is it possible to add a "Like" button on posts so that any member who likes a post will show up with a number of posts and which members liked it.

Veteran
Veteran
Its coming soon. Expected in v7.6.1

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is a basic set of Facebook "Like" and Twitter "Tweet" buttons that've been in the product since 7.5.6 (August 21, 2010), they're ugly as sin and never really saw any attention once they where added (though we have discussed updating them, but haven't made concrete plans).

You can activate them, and enter your Twitter Account (for any replies), in the Control Panel:
CP -> Display Settings -> General -> Primary Tab -> Topic & Post Page Settings
Show Facebook "Like" Button
Show Tweet Button
Your Twitter Account

A likes/kudos/thank post feature is currently in development on my dev site, however there is currently no concrete release date/version for when it'll be available as a stock feature as it is still undergoing testing.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #260142 05/03/2017 4:49 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
A likes/kudos/thank post feature is currently in development on my dev site, however there is currently no concrete release date/version for when it'll be available as a stock feature as it is still undergoing testing.
Any idea as to when the next release will be available with the Like/Thank You post feature?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not v7.6.1, which we're currently testing; likely a release shortly after.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Ok thanks, that's a pity. I was really hoping for a Like feature on the next update.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ShaneHenderson
I was really hoping for a Like feature on the next update.

Though its already in the version you're currently using right now, the integrated "Facebook Like" system has been updated for the 7.6.1 release.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...hreads-7-6-1-not-yet-released#Post260038

[Linked Image]

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
ShaneHenderson #261316 04/12/2018 10:48 AM
F
F Offline
I've turned on the "like" buttons,yet they do not show up on any posts? Am I missing something?

fuzzy47 #261320 04/12/2018 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by fuzzy47
I've turned on the "like" buttons,yet they do not show up on any posts? Am I missing something?
Do you have any mods installed?
If not it may just be just a matter of clearing your browser cache.
Or you may need to clear cache in the UBB cp.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #261321 04/12/2018 12:46 PM
F
F Offline
I'll try clearing the cache. They are working for my wife, but not for me as an admin or as a test user I set up. I've tested it on both my Mac and my PC.

fuzzy47 #261322 04/12/2018 12:55 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
They are working for my wife, but not for me as an admin or as a test user I set up. I've tested it on both my Mac and my PC.

The "Like" and "Share" buttons are provided by Facebook API. The "Tweet" button is provided by Twitter API. If you have any privacy protection add-ons installed to your browser such as Privacy Badger, Disconnect, Ad-block, or even just Firefox's Privacy Settings enable, than you wont be seeing anything from Facebook or Twitter. Those extensions also block third-party cookies and page elements which you have not specifically white-listed.

This not related to UBB.threads software, but instead related to your browser settings. In some cases, this could also be related to the settings on your DNS or within your router, if they are blocking social-networking sites. But you've said your wife has no problems seeing the Like/Share/Tweet buttons. If you're on the same network as her, its more likely to be a browser extension on your computer setup which is blocking them.

ShaneHenderson #261323 04/12/2018 12:55 PM
F
F Offline
Cleared the UBB cache, browser cash and cookies and I still can't see them. But my darling wife can. Strange. This holds true on my pc and as my test user.

Last edited by fuzzy47; 04/12/2018 12:57 PM.
fuzzy47 #261324 04/12/2018 1:00 PM
F
F Offline
I do have AdBlock enabled, but it's also enabled on this site and I see all the share buttons, etc.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBBCentral is not using the "Like/Share/Tweet" facebook/twitter buttons.

UBBCentral is using Sharaholic.

See attached screenshot
Attachments
20180412_10-03-11.PNG

F
F Offline
Disabled it on both the PC and Mac and still nothing shows up

F
F Offline
And all of a sudden, after several minutes they are now showing up. Go figure. Anyway, Isaac, thank you for all your help.

isaac #261328 04/12/2018 1:27 PM
F
F Offline
Originally Posted by isaac
UBBCentral is not using the "Like/Share/Tweet" facebook/twitter buttons.

UBBCentral is using Sharaholic.

See attached screenshot

What is your opinion on using Sharaholic as opposed to the builtin in links?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I personally prefer using the Facebook and/or Twitter buttons. They allow my users to block one or the other if they choose. I personally dont like sending ads to my users, I enjoy my online privacy, and do encourage my users to block ads and tracking if they choose to do so. But I do have ads on my websites. Just very few of them, and fewer to registered members. (edit: my display ads cover the cost of running each of my websites.)

Sharaholic provides the resources to share with many other services. But if a user decides to block Sharaholic, they are blocking all the Sharaholic sharing services at once.

OPTION A: Facebook and/or Twitter...
OPTION B: Sharaholic -- which is an all-in-one service.

Though, you can run all three at once, and just not display facebook/twitter within your Sharaholic bar. But then you are fighting agains the load-times of three other domains on your single page.

OPTION C: All the things.

So its really up to how you want to run your own forums.

Last edited by isaac; 04/12/2018 1:42 PM.

F
F Offline
Another issue has since originated. When I 'share' a photo from my photo album, it picks up a photo from other one to use as the link back to mine????

isaac #261331 04/12/2018 1:50 PM
F
F Offline
Thank you. One of the things I'm promoting is the lack of ads. I think I'll just stick with the stock ones.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Another issue has since originated. When I 'share' a photo from my photo album, it picks up a photo from other one to use as the link back to mine????

Im not sure how you'd share an individual photo. The sharing within UBB.threads is all about sharing the entire thread/discussion page.

Facebook use to let you choose between which page image to use as the cover image for that facebook share, but they change their code around so often, it seems like something new every week. Seriously.

If you wanted to show your website logo as the default image for when items are shared, edit and use this code as your Header Insert For All Pages:
<meta property="og:image" content="https://www.EXAMPLE.com/LOGO.png">

F
F Offline
Ok, thanks. That makes sense. Sorry for all the questions, but I've not used this software or any other since at least 2011.

I noticed on here the share button does not grab a photo if you are sharing a regular post. Mine is doing that no matter what forum I'm in. It has decided to take a picture of myself and my wife and add it to the shares. I think it's possessed. LOL

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can disable all of the about shareaholic bloat (ads, the little backlink buttonv that goats to the bottom left of pages, etc), it just takes the time to read what each default option does.

Gizmo #261338 04/12/2018 6:33 PM
F
F Offline
I did install the Shareholic code and so far am loving it. I like the idea of being able to have more than just a couple of sites to share. I've put up a poll to see who would like to see what.

I don't know if you remember or not, but I used to run Truckers Road using the software Josh created. Came back here because there is nothing else out there that I've found that works as well. Very pleased with all the advancements that have come along with UBBthreads.

#261391 04/24/2018 8:53 PM
F
F Offline
I tried out the Sharaholic buttons and didn't like them so I deleted the information from my settings and checked the facebook and twitter options. Now they are not showing up. Any ideas?

F
F Offline
Yup, did that. Cleared the cache just in case. Nada. Added the shareaholic buttons back and last night they only showed up on the main page and this morning. MIA.

F
F Offline
I am able to see the stock share/like buttons on my forum when I use my phone. When I use both my Mac and Pc they are not there? Suggestions?

fuzzy47 #261397 04/25/2018 9:10 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I am able to see the stock share/like buttons on my forum when I use my phone. When I use both my Mac and Pc they are not there? Suggestions?
Well...
I do have AdBlock enabled, but it's also enabled on this site and I see all the share buttons, etc.
Disabled it on both the PC and Mac and still nothing shows up
And all of a sudden, after several minutes they are now showing up. Go figure. Anyway, Isaac, thank you for all your help.
Disable adblock and tracking protection again (or any other security plugins which would interrupt the execution of offsite content or social networks), it's blocking the Facebook API as it's a 3rd party site

Gizmo #261398 04/25/2018 9:15 PM
F
F Offline
It has been disabled for a few days now. I have it enabled on here and your Sharaholic buttons are showing up. If I reinstall them on my site they do not show up. Cleard the cache, rebooted the computer and no luck.

fuzzy47 #261399 04/25/2018 9:16 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It has been disabled for a few days now. I have it enabled on here and your Sharaholic buttons are showing up. If I reinstall them on my site they do not show up. Cleard the cache, rebooted the computer and no luck.
Shareaholic does not utilize the Facebook API for their buttons, something is blocking the Facebook API on your systems; even as you stated, they're there on your phone.

Gizmo #261400 04/25/2018 9:25 PM
F
F Offline
Found the problem. Had to delete the site cookies from Firefox and they are now showing like they are supposed to.

Just fyi,
Even though I have been an advocate of Firefox for many years.
The last major update has caused me nothing but grief with how the browser cache is managed now.
Plus a lot of apps or connections ,On my desktop will not run correctly.
I have had more success with Microsoft Edge lately.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #261402 04/27/2018 2:13 PM
F
F Offline
So far I've not had issues with Firefox. I've never like MS Edge from the beginning. Don't have the option now as I tossed Windows in favor of a Mac and have not regretted it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29