Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
A Offline
Announcement for 7.6.1 included two features:

-- Attachment Display is now customizable between Grouped or Inlined.

-- Attached images can now be automatically resized and/or compressed at the time of upload.

Where can I find some documentation of where the features are enabled/controlled and how they work? Our forum is still at Ver 7.5.9 because of a custom inline image upload mod that we really like. We would like to upgrade but need to actually understand the new capability in the newer version before giving up the capability of our current modification.

I assume the resizing parameters are enabled and set in control panel.

Is the inline vs grouped a global control panel setting or a post level option? What happens when a user uploads some images they want displayed inline along with a PDF document?

Abbott

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
All of the attachment options are located in the Attachments section of the UBB.threads Control Panel, as seen from my attachment.
Attachments
screenshot-www.ubbcentral.com-2018-06-14-11-38-40.png

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Abbott
What happens when a user uploads some images they want displayed inline along with a PDF document?

The following two posts are an example of when files of different types are uploaded in a mixed order, and displayed using the forum attachment display setting of GROUPED vs INLINED

The Attachment Manager screenshot
Attachments
20180614_18-08-36.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Attachment Display setting: GROUPED

Grouped images are displayed as thumbnails grouped together under the post.
Attachments
20180614_18-12-45.PNG

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Attachment Display setting: INLINED

Inlined images are displayed at full width (while still fitting within the post width) just under the post text.
Attachments
20180614_18-19-31.PNG 20180614_18-21-00.PNG 20180614_18-21-44.PNG

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Grouped attachment display is good for when the majority of your forum posts are technical or include many attached images at once, such as events.

Inlined attachment display is useful for when your users often post just a few (or only one) images at a time with each post.

The display type should be specific to how you'd prefer your post attachments to display.

"Grouped" is what is currently used on UBBCentral.

A
A Offline
Thank you for the clarification. Could not examine the control panel options because we have not upgraded to 7.6 specifically because we wanted inline. Looks like it may be time.

Can it be configured on the fly such that an icon in the editor would execute one or more photo uploads and place the inline tags in the post text? That way a user could choose to inline images or to leave them as grouped attachments.

Our users do both depending on the content of the post.

A
A Offline
Here is an example of an inline post that is common on our site:

Hitched a ride to the GTG with Ed and Lorrie. We launched into great weather along a route that would take us past Niagara Falls, through Canadian airspace, across Lake Huron and then North to Mackinac Island for the night.

No cars, motorbikes, or powered vehicles allowed on the island. Horses, bicycles, or walking are the main modes of transportation. People with houses on the island usually have their own stables and carriages. There are something over 600 horses on the island and all of them are moved to winter quarters on the mainland for the winter. At the airport we called for a taxi and waited for our ride. We thought the streets were busy when we were there but locals told us that the July 4th week is the real start to the season and the streets would be jammed with all manner of people, wagons, carriages, saddle horses, and bicycles -- general pandemonium. On Mackinac horses have the right of way so it gets interesting when the coachman turns onto side streets or driveways. The day-trippers with ear buds in were particularly entertaining. At one point our coachman told a group of pedestrians, "Two thousand pounds of horse coming at you."

The absence of motorized vehicles makes a real difference in both noise and pace of life. This is a big tourist destination with constant passenger ferries unloading and loading down at the docks. Many come to the island for only a day trip and Main Street is chockablock full of tourist stores and restaurants. There must have been six fudge shops, each claiming the "best" fudge.

[Linked Image from cessna-pilots.net]
Western New York from Albany to Buffalo is pretty flat.

This is Conesus the westernmost finger lake and considered one of the minor ones. It is smaller and has a maximum depth of 66'. The major finger lakes have depths of 186' to an astounding 630'.

The shores of Lake Huron.

On short final for the very nice Mackinac Island airport.

You need a different type of roadside warning sign on Mackinac.

E-commerce deliveries, note the tag-along frequently used for extra baggage behind taxis as well as extra capacity for delivery wagons

Does the improved file manager upload and inline display intersperse pictures and text or just display them all full width after post text? Asking because I can't easily test before upgrading.

Abbott

To answer your question.
"Can they be changed on the fly?

No ,
it is one or the other for all with stock code.
Since you can only access inline or grouped settings from the control panel.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, domspeak), 353 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29