Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#262240 02/03/2019 11:16 PM
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M Offline
It would be really nice to provide a mechanism for customizing OG on a board-level. Being that this information is used by Facebook (which we use extensively), it would give us the ability to customize our presentation there which would be very helpful.

Also, being able to customize OG headers on a per-post basis (perhaps for admins only) would be amazingly-powerful. We use our forum for daily news and information and having this ability about be a big step towards making the system more blog-like without affecting all the other functionality.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

Today they call you "crazy".
Tomorrow they call you "ahead of your time".
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm missing the purpose; the og title and description tags for the thread is currently the subject and body of the original post, any replies to that post are responses; what else would you have in its place?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M Offline
The most useful would be the ability to customize the OG image tag.

Having a global default would be convenient and then having a per-post specified image would allow us to be sure the right image appears when posting to Facebook or other social media. This is a very common and annoying problem with Facebook links to forums and articles: FB often displays the wrong image when the OG image tag is not specified.

Usually, the other tags that are already there (url, type) would remain the same as they are now, but customization would be very powerful for optimizing a post's appeal to particular groups/pages in social media.

For example, if posting the same post to 2 FB groups, one about science and one about history:

For the science group, the OG title and description tags would default to the values they currently do now, but they could be customized to emphasize the scientific information presented in the article.

For the history group, the OG title and description tags could be customized to emphasize the historical significance of the article.

This would be quite powerful to widen the appeal for a particular post/article when it contains info that appeals to different groups of people, which they often do.

Today they call you "crazy".
Tomorrow they call you "ahead of your time".
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with this and have been setback on sharing posts on Facebook for this very reason. It will pick the first photo on the page, usually one from the gallery, and display that with the Facebook post. In the past I have mentioned that social media interaction should be severely considered in this software product.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29