Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
I've just recently migrated off version 6.7.3, and a new board set up and running under 7.x.

I need to keep the old board up and running for reference and to help with broken links and other problems. And I want users of the old board (not just moderators) to have access to it for reference purposes. But I don't want anybody adding new posts.

So my question is: is there a way to allow the board to remain visible and usable, but DISALLOW any posting?

There is a "board status" option in Control Panel ... General that offers "Board Open" and "Board Closed" options, but I'm afraid to try the later because I might lose access to the control panel.

Any suggestions / answers would be appreciated.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm not sure why one would want to continue to run UBB.Classic if all of the forum data had been imported into UBB.threads; normally one would utilize the UBB.Classic URL Redirector scripts to send old traffic from UBB.Classic to their new locations in their UBB.threads installation, these can be found in the UBB.Classic Importer archive which is in the member area (in the archive you'd find "ultimatebb.cgi" and "ultimatebb.php"). There is a database table in UBB.threads which holds the locations of all of your old forum ids from UBB.Classic and their mapped counterpart in UBB.threads, the redirector scripts should just send old bookmarked/crawled requests on their way.

The answer to your question however is simple, I don't believe that UBB.Classic had the ability to not allow postings/registrations while keeping the forum open; one could potentially just craft an Apache redirector rule to send requests to the login, registration, new post, and new reply pages to your forum index page on your UBB.threads instance.

The "Board Closed" option in UBB.Classic should close the forums for everyone who is not an administrator.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I understand the paranoia but what can be done about it..
Nothing.
So you find a missing post.
How do you move it. No way.
It has been ages since I used classic.
But I do recall in permissions to set it to read only.
read this post
https://www.ubbcentral.com/support/docs/ubbclassic/UBB6all.html

somewhere it talks about archives. which is what you want.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
Gizmo--

I hired somebody--an expert, they represented and I assumed--to manage the conversion from 6.7.3 to 7.x. They said "your hosting service versions of MySQL and php will not allow redirecting." I didn't know why that should matter, since I wasn't aware of the need for redirecting anything. After the conversion was done and the old board closed (happily not deleted), THEN I discovered that my 200+ "internal" links were broken. The expert denied any responsibility for the problem. So I am manually and very laboriously replacing the URL for my 200+ links. The reason for keeping the old board open so I can find what the link is, instead of having to even-more-laboriously extract that info from the SQL database. With any luck at all it will take me only 15 or 20 hours to manually replace all the links. I'm so glad I hired an expert to save me time and hassle.

Thanks for your comments.

Thank you too, Ruben. I can "move" missing posts with copy/paste, that's good enough. The important thing is knowing what is missing, which I can find out from the old board.

Thanks too for the link to the documentation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 866 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29