Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#263918 06/10/2020 10:25 PM
J
J Offline
I updated the max file size upload for the forum/group to 10,240,000 and set the max number of files to 20. The upload popup shows the max number of files is 20 but the max file size is still showing "Maximum size per file is 2 MB." The number of files took affect, but not the max size? Any thoughts?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What does the Test Script say your post_max_filesize and upload_max_filesize are? These are the server variables which set a hard limit on your uploads, and the UBB.threads configuration cannot override them.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
J Offline
Here are the test settings

ImageMagick: ImageMagick binaries were located in the folder /usr/bin/ (/usr/bin/convert and /usr/bin/mogrify)
Maximum Execution Time (max_execution_time): 60 Seconds
Maximum Input Variables (max_input_vars): 2000 (see php.net for more information)
Maximum Upload File Size (upload_max_filesize): 40M (see php.net for more information)
Maximum Upload Size Allowed: 40M (the smaller of post_max_size vs upload_max_filesize)
Memory Limit: 512M
MySQL: MySQL v5.0 or newer is required; please manually check that you meet this requirement.
OpenSSL Version: OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019
PHP Interface: fpm-fcgi
PHP Version: 7.2.26
Post Max File Size (post_max_size): 40M (can affect the upload size, see php.net for more information)

I assume others have updated/increased this value, and can upload jpg's greater than 2Mb?

Last edited by jjjjj; 06/11/2020 12:18 PM.
Humm.
Not sure of your folder hierarchy. Meaning where the forum is located and where you ran the test script.
I would open the ubb cp and near the bottom select php info and look at the local value for
post_max_size
upload_max_filesize
or on the local value column look for anything that has the 2MB value.

The reason I ask is I found one host inmotion that the editable php.ini is not recursive meaning it passes values only to the folder it is in.
If a folder does not have a custom php.ini then it uses the default master file of which you usually do not have access to.
The last few sites I worked on the default file size was 2MB
There are ways around it..
copy the php.ini to multiple folders(not desired)
or place a statement in the htaccess file.

Of course it all could be a moot point if your browser cache has not refreshed since you changed the file size.

Last edited by Ruben; 06/11/2020 12:58 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As Ruben pointed out, you'll want to run the test script from within your UBB.threads directory if you're on a system with multiple php.ini's or check the two values from within a phpinfo file.

Some hosts will allow you to edit the max post size and max upload size permission within a control panel, others won't allow any adjustments, and some will allow you to override with a .htaccess file.

You'll want to also take care that the "Max file attachment size" or "Max gallery image size" (for a gallery forum) permissions are set for EVERY forum, as this is a forum by forum permission.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Also when visiting your forum permissions.
There should be a note to give you a hint on the max file size allowed.
Per the php.ini file which is something you would need to change in your cpanel if allowed.
UBB only follows the php.ini setting for this feature.

For example from another site in forum permissions.

Max file attachment size
If file attachments are enabled in the forum, this limits the maximum number of bytes for each file attachment.
• Max size (upload_max_filesize) set in your php.ini is 5368709120 bytes (5G). You may not exceed this size.
• You may use shorthand byte values: K (Kilo), M (Mega).
1K = 1,024 Bytes
1M = 1,048,576 Bytes
• You may use decimal places such as 0.5M, to specify half of a MegaByte.
• Do not use commas.

So in this case the max file attachment is 5GB

So you would enter anything equal to or less than

If you enter a higher number than 5GB then php.ini will not allow it not UBB

Remember that also the max post size is the sum of all the attachments.
Meaning if you allow 5 gb attachments and twenty of them a member could exceed the max post size.
but if they post 1GB files then they could reach 20 GB
It is just something you need to juggle around.

Last edited by Ruben; 06/12/2020 3:58 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Is there any particular reason you guys are allowing gigs of data to be uploaded? Real word limits are generally in the megabyte range...

1 member likes this: isaac
Veteran
Veteran
Because we can these days with HDD's at like 6TB.......

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by JAISP
Because we can these days with HDD's at like 6TB.......

lol. Comcast cries in 1TB caps. Heck, legit pro web hosting cry when you host 1GB filez on your l33t web forumz.

4K Avengers: Endgame BR rips are laughing at your Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 XBox images

signed,
PCMR

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol, I only have about fifty gigs of spare space on my server, I'd hate to have to host huge amounts of data like that.

I was mainly trying to figure out the type of content getting posted that one would be such high limits since I generally find that a 20meg limit and only allowing 10 attachments generally suits my needs.

I have seen some communities that share super high resolution images that could have quite high limits in place.

1 member likes this: isaac
J
J Offline
I figured it out, needed to restart the webserver to pick up the change. Probably something cached it out in nginx, I have caching disable in my browser for testing, but something was holding the value. As for large files, I have modified ubb to accept mp4's, and other video formations, and run them through AWS MediaConvert for streaming transcoding and packaging. All the content is then on S3, which I have as a mounted file system. I have it set for 500mb.

Veteran
Veteran
Isaac I keep forgetting almost everyone uses a hosted solution vs me owning my own machines I built for my sites and stuff.

I just loaded up two servers for someone with 24TB each just a month ago. Both are 2U rack mounts. They are sweet machines and super fast too.

J
J Offline
I am running on AWS LightSail, 2.50-5 dollars a month for the instance and 15-20 per month for storage. We run a lot of pictures and video, about 10Tb which are mounted on S3 storage. Very nice performance at very low costs. The only setup issue with a fresh forum is you have to manually go in and set a lot of file/directory permissions. I have a cloud AMI image if anyone wants it that has the forum already built, just have to create an instance from the image.

1 member likes this: Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by jjjjj
I figured it out, needed to restart the webserver to pick up the change.
Yes, any changes to the webserver configuration must be reloaded to take effect.

Originally Posted by jjjjj
As for large files, I have modified ubb to accept mp4's, and other video formations, and run them through AWS MediaConvert for streaming transcoding and packaging. All the content is then on S3, which I have as a mounted file system. I have it set for 500mb.

I am running on AWS LightSail, 2.50-5 dollars a month for the instance and 15-20 per month for storage. We run a lot of pictures and video, about 10Tb which are mounted on S3 storage. Very nice performance at very low costs. The only setup issue with a fresh forum is you have to manually go in and set a lot of file/directory permissions. I have a cloud AMI image if anyone wants it that has the forum already built, just have to create an instance from the image.
That's actually a pretty interesting setup; I'm glad to see someone taking an out of the box solution and making it their own.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29