Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#264114 08/29/2020 1:17 PM
Hello -

My question is in regard to page views.

If I make a post and someone visits, that's one view, they don't reply to the post. I go ahead and make another post. The same person refreshes the page to see the update but it doesn't count as another view even though in all reality it is.

I can make 50 replies to the same post and the same person can refresh the page 50 times but it counts as one view.

It was explained to me by Ruben but I don't agree with how it was set up. A page view whether by a visit the first time is one view and if they refresh the page it should count as another no matter the time frame or set up.

Why was it set up this way? Is there a way to change this?

Thanks

FREAK #264115 08/29/2020 3:33 PM
Sorry guess I should have said the version

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4

Other thing I can't stand, is I can make a post and reply 17 times to it and have 4 views. There should never be more post count than views. That is a flaw that needs fixed.

FREAK #264117 08/29/2020 4:02 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Views on a topic are only increased when a user accesses the topic for the first time (thus only calculating unique views); this stops abusive users and bots from just refreshing the page to increase views on topics.

This code is managed by the following block in /scripts/showflat.inc.php:
Code
	// If this is our first visit to this topic, update the counter
	if ($_SESSION['current_topic'] != $topic_info['TOPIC_ID']) {
		$query = "
			INSERT INTO
				{$config['TABLE_PREFIX']}TOPIC_VIEWS
				(TOPIC_ID)
			VALUES
				(?)
		";
		$dbh->do_placeholder_query($query, array($topic_info['TOPIC_ID']), __LINE__, __FILE__);
		$_SESSION['current_topic'] = $topic_info['TOPIC_ID'];
	}

I would highly advise against ever changing this behavior, on any well trafficked (I'm mentioning TRAFFIC here and not posts) would likely spam your server with excess activity.

This is how it has always worked, as you wouldn't want additional connections to the database increasing views for every page reload as it'd severely impact your server.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
FREAK #264119 08/29/2020 4:08 PM
I must be in the minority because "unique views" doesn't do it for me. I easily can reply to a daily handicapper thread upwards of 50x and usually rapid fire.

It is defeating to see the topic views not go up. That's the whole point of it anyway. To reap the rewards from your work. In my case it's topic views.

If I post 50x in a thread, I sure as hell don't want a visitor refreshing 50x and it count as 1.

I could care a less about connections to the database or server impact, that's what the company I pay for there server service worries, not mine.

Bottom line for me is overall topic views not unique views, it doesn't give me an accurate count of what people are doing. Bots are of no concern as well.

What can be done on a forum specific basis if it can't be done as a development basis for all. Perhaps a choice can be given because I can't be alone in wanting actual view hits and not unique alone.

FREAK #264120 08/29/2020 4:11 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You're welcome to modify your forums for any behavior that you think you need, but any changes to the stock code are not supported in any way (not on these user to user forums or the official support desk).

My prior posting displays the block you'd need to update, but again this will have a severe impact on your server resources if it is something that you choose to pursue.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
FREAK #264121 08/29/2020 4:12 PM
Your original post I replied to changed and I wasn't replying to what is there now. I appreciate the input and will see how it goes.

FREAK #264123 08/29/2020 4:14 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, I would make a complete backup of your database before making any changes; large amounts of excess writing could result in database corruption on the target tables.

Additionally there is a trigger which will write updates to the topics table from the topic_views temporary table (update_views_counter from /libs/ubbthreads.inc.php); it is generally updated when the cache is cleared, a post is added, or a user logs in.

1 member likes this: FREAK
FREAK #264125 08/29/2020 4:18 PM
How complex is this to change where it would be based on view rates rather than unique 1 time visit. Pardon if I phrased that wrong. I am looking to see how hard it will end up being to do this.

FREAK #264127 08/29/2020 7:07 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
His site is very slow now compared to last year.
FREAK is on the current 7.7.4 version
FREAK has cookies set to 30 days plus Who's Online set to 240 minutes.
Originally Posted by Ruben
FYI he has been using some app to fool UBB to think unique visitors visit the site to force the page view count to increase , It does work. It is a stand alone app run from his PC

The Post View Count's cache is processed on two common/frequent actions, and can be triggered manually from the CP.

1. User login.
2. New post creation. Private or public, does not matter.
3. Control Panel > Cache Manager > Update Cache

If you have very few users visiting your forum, then you will have fewer logins. Also with the cookie expiration set to 30 days, you'll have fewer logins, with the "benefit" (not really) of average account security.

If you have very few new posts, then your post counter cache is updated less frequently.

This cache is stored in SQL memory (heap storage) to reduce the number of disk transactions required for this frequent action. The cache is processed and written to disk at key periods with the intent of keeping physical hardware transactions speedy and optimized.

As for the other item you've mentioned, "some app to fool UBB." I have no clue what this would be or how it works, and I can tell you that itis not supported here at all.

Last edited by isaac; 08/29/2020 8:07 PM. Reason: words corrected

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29