Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#264843 05/18/2021 11:19 AM
L
L Offline
Hi everyone, LTNS!
I've decided to relaunch my messageboard and am having some trouble with permissions.

Windows 10
UBB Version 7.7.5
PHP 7.5

I've copied all the files to my webserver under the forums folder.
I ran http://localhost/forums/install/index.php as per instructions. Everything looks good. This page tells me we will now start the installation.
index.php launches http://localhost/forums/install/install.php. The errors I get here are as follows:
includes/* FAILED (boardrules.php)
sessions/ FAILED
templates/compile/ FAILED (templates/compile)
cache/ FAILED
cache_builders/custom/* FAILED
styles/* FAILED (Can't create new file)
tmp/ FAILED (Can't create new file)
gallery/* FAILED (Can't create new file)

As a simple test, I set all files and directories under .\forums to 'Full Control' for the IIS_IUSRS account.
When I recheck permissions, I get the same error.

Any ideas what's going on?

Luke

Member since November 2004
Gold Member since Feb 2008
I have never tried win 10 as a server by itself.
I always install wamp or xampp on win10 since that is more compatible with the online linux servers.
I assume you have enabled IIS to start with.

But anyway have you tried the UBB test script first?
It may lead you to where the issues are.
https://ubbwiki.com/archive/view/59/ubb-threads-system-requirements-test-20201025.html

BTW there are very very few users here that use windows as a server.
In fact BellaOnline is the only one I know of today.

Last edited by Ruben; 05/18/2021 1:33 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
L
L Offline
Yes, IIS is installed, MySQL, and PHP.
I am able to run PHP test scripts.
As I mentioned, I can browse to http://localhost/forums/install/index.php and it loads with graphics and formatting, so I know IIS is running and calling PHP to process the page.

The first thing this script does is check directory permissions which fails as stated above.

But did you run.
ubbt_test.php
As I noted above.

Run it and posts results.

Windows does have a issue where you can edit permissions but you then need to edit permissions for sub folders or files not just the root folder.
For example maybe includes is correct but not the files under includes.

Last edited by Ruben; 05/18/2021 2:07 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
It has been 20+ years since I ran UBB on a windows server and I can say it was more difficult to install for me than a linux/apache server.
Which is why on my win10 local machine I install xampp and or wamp to test with.

Blue Man Group
Also as I said I have never tried win 10 standalone but possibly you need win 10 pro not the home version there is a big difference between the two.

Blue Man Group
L
L Offline
Yes, I have Windows 10 Pro.
Oddly, I cannot find ubbt_test.php in either of ubbthreads 7.7.5 or ubbthreads 7.5.9

You need to goto:
https://ubbwiki.com/archive/view/59/ubb-threads-system-requirements-test-20201025.html
Download and place it in you ubb folder and run it.

Like I posted before.
It will tell you if your server is compatible to run UBB and possibly tell you what is wrong.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We, as a development team for a script provider, assume that you're on a fully functioning webserver which allows PHP to write to files on the server; configuration of your web server is out of the scope of the support provided here.

For IIS you'll need to ensure that IUSR, DefaultAppPool and IIS AppPool\<<AppPoolName>> have full write permissions (followed by an iisreset); other than that, none of us utilize IIS as a web server so we'll be little help in the configuration and troubleshooting of IIS.

The UBB.threads System Requirements Test is updated more often than UBB.threads, it is also privately developed by me and is not a part of the UBB.threads packages by design. The official download link is Download the UBB.threads System Requirements Test. This test script however does no additional checks for IIS, in fact it does less checks as a predictable location of ImageMagick cannot be done. Additionally, it does not perform any write checks to the file system.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
L
L Offline
Code
System Requirements Met
Your system meets all of the PHP requirements for UBB.threads:
Minimum Version: v7.7.0
Maximum Version: v7.7.x

Possible Problems
Possible problems have been detected, please see the individual messages below for more information.
The system binaries for ImageMagick could not be found on your server. Please see UBBWiki: imagemagick
The reported PHP 'max_input_vars' setting is currently set at or below the default setting (Current: 1000, Default: 1000), which could have issues if you have more than 33 forums; for more information, please see the UBBWiki entry "Issues with the PHP 'max_input_vars' Setting". Please see UBBWiki: maxinput
The "max_execution_time" value (Default: 30, Current: 300) determines how long PHP can wait for a script to fully execute; we recommend a value of at least '30', and no higher than '60'. Please see UBBWiki: maxexecution

You have indicated that you would like to test your UBB.threads configuration, but the file could not be found in the path: forum/includes/config.inc.php

Additional Information
Compatible UBB.threads Versions:
Minimum: v7.7.0
Maximum: v7.7.x
Read more about Server Requirements and Suggestions on UBBWiki
cURL Version: 7.70.0
File Get Contents: Allows External URLs
GZip: GZip is supported on this system
ImageMagick: ImageMagick binaries could not be located on this server
Maximum Execution Time (max_execution_time): 300 Seconds
Maximum Input Variables (max_input_vars): 1000 (see php.net for more information)
Maximum Upload File Size (upload_max_filesize): 2M (see php.net for more information)
Maximum Upload Size Allowed: 2M (the smaller of post_max_size vs upload_max_filesize)
Memory Limit: 128M
MySQL: MySQL v5.0 or newer is required; please manually check that you meet this requirement.
OpenSSL Version: OpenSSL 1.1.1h 22 Sep 2020
PHP Interface: cgi-fcgi
PHP Version: 7.4.13
Post Max File Size (post_max_size): 8M (can affect the upload size, see php.net for more information)
Reported Host: localhost
Reported IP:
Reported OS: WINNT
Reported Path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot
Reported Port: 80
Secure Connection (HTTPS/SSL): No
Time: The current, unadjusted, server time is: Tuesday, May 18th, 2021 at 02:20 PM, America/Los_Angeles (-07:00)
ZLib: ZLib is supported on this system

L
L Offline
Okay, I'm onto something.

I had previously set the IIS_IUSRS account to 'full control' (above) and continued to get the error.
In an effort to narrow the problem domain, I set the permissions to 'Everyone' full control and that worked (Yippi).
So I need to go back to the drawing board and figure out what is the correct account to allow permissions.

I ran UBB for many years on Windows, going back to 2004. I seem to remember there being more IIS_user type permissions, so that's what I'm going to look into. (There is only one in the list now, but I may need to add that user.)

Anyway, thank you guys for the support thus far.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Additional information on setting up UBB.threads with Windows 10 and IIS 10 with plenty of screenshots can be found here:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...n-issue-changing-forum-styles#Post264320
and the next page for php.ini here
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...n-issue-changing-forum-styles#Post264326

Windows 10 Pro version 1909
Internet Information Services 10.0 (IIS/10)
PHP 7.4.11
MySQL 5.7.31
UBB.threads 7.7.x (installed to ROOT of localhost)

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
L
L Offline
Great Isaac, It's all working now, made my first post.

I'm only struggling with which USER to grant permission. I originally gave full permission to IIS_IUSRS (MYCOMPUTER\IIS_IUSRS) but that gave me all the permission errors.
I have a sneaky feeling that when you browse locally to LOCALHOST that maybe you're not coming in under IIS_IUSRS. meh. wierd.

Questions for you:
Are you accessing your message board locally via LOCALHOST, and if so, to which users did you grant permissions?

L
L Offline
SOLVED:

You just need to add the IUSR user and give it write permission on all the directories UBB flags as needing write permission.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I am happy to hear that you got your issue worked out.
For others following this thread, some further reading can be found here:

How to Host PHP on Windows With IIS
https://stackify.com/how-to-host-php-on-windows-with-iis/

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
L
L Offline
Short Answer:
After installing UBB, I gave IIS_IUSRS (MYCOMPUTER\IIS_IUSRS) write permission on all the directories UBB flags as needing write permission.
This didn't work.

After much trial and error, I found that you need to add the IUSR user (different than the IIS_IUSRS shown by default) and give it write permission on all the directories UBB flags as needing write permission.

Notes: I reverted IIS_IUSRS to the default 'read & execute', 'list folder' & 'read'.
Then added IUSR and gave it 'read & execute', 'list folder', 'read' & write.

All is working flawlessly.
I can log into my messageboard both locally via localhost and remotely via IP address.

PS. You do not need to download and install PHP and MySQL via external sources. You can use Microsoft Web Platform Installer. This is a wonderful tool that installs these components, handles PATH requirements, and any .ini config. After installing these components via Microsoft WPI, I was ready to go and all defaults were sufficient to run UBB.Threads.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I merged your second topic; also, setting write permissions for that user was covered in my previous post.

Originally Posted by Gizmo
For IIS you'll need to ensure that IUSR, DefaultAppPool and IIS AppPool\<<AppPoolName>> have full write permissions (followed by an iisreset); other than that, none of us utilize IIS as a web server so we'll be little help in the configuration and troubleshooting of IIS.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
L
L Offline
Thanks Gizmo. back when I read your post I was still under the impression that IUSR = IIS_IUSRS. Silly me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29