Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Newbie
Newbie
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Just upgraded to 7.7.5 from 5.something.whatever


Server Information
UBB.threads Version 7.7.5
Release 20201027
Server OS WINNT
Web Server Microsoft-IIS/8.5
PHP Version 7.4.24
MYSQL Version 5.6.12

All tables are upgraded to utf8mb4_general_ci.
Use Full Unicode Support is checked.
my.ini has all defaults set to use utf8mb4.

Users posting from Apple products are not having special characters interpreted correctly.
Apostrophes, dots, quotes, etc are getting converted to a string of characters instead of being displayed as they should. Posts from Windows and Android devices appear unaffected.


Anyone have any thoughts on where to begin looking??


Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Newbie
Newbie
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Example:
One of my moderators posted "Let's hope for the best!", but what gets displayed from her is "Let�s hope for the best!"


Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Looks like someone set the general language file to use iso-8859-1, this is your issue.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,032
Likes: 176
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,032
Likes: 176
Fix line # 4

[Linked Image]

Correct it from iso-8859-1 to utf-8

Either manually edit the language file yourself at
CHARSET in your languages/english/generic.php language file.

or

Use the Control Panel at
Control Panel > Languages > Language Editor
Choose Specific Language File > generic.php


current developer of UBB.threads php forum software
current release: UBB.threads 8.0.1 // wip: UBB.threads 8.1.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Newbie
Newbie
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
How/where do I change that??


Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads v7.7.x should ship by default with UTF8 enabled as it is standards compliant; this is something you'll need to change if someone changed it to iso during a fresh install; this could also happen if you do not upgrade your language files and rely on the upgrade script to patch them for you.

/languages/english/generic.php should be:
Code
$ubbt_lang['CHARSET'] = "utf-8";


Yours sounds like it is:
Code
$ubbt_lang['CHARSET'] = "iso-8859-1";


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Newbie
Newbie
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Awesome, trying that now!

Man, that had to have been in there from WAAAAAAAY back. I can't recall touching a language file... perhaps leftover from wwwthreads???


Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Newbie
Newbie
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 35
Just got confirmation from my Mod... that fixed it.

Thank you so much! That was FAST laugh


Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (vscope, SteveS), 683 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)