Print Thread
Hop To
#265376 06/27/2022 3:43 PM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Hi Everyone,

Last September we had a breakdown of our UBB board at jpfolks.com (also reached at justplainfolks.org). We have been users of the software since 1998.

The board is on Stablehost and in the past Gizmo had uploaded it there and serviced it when there were problems. We haven't been able to reach him since then (hopefully he is okay), so I am reaching out to see if someone else can take a look if he is no longer available. Once the problem is fixed (I suspect some type of scripting error/jam in the Who's Online box might box might be the issue so it might be a quick fix). Once that is done, we'd like to update the site to the newest version available as well.

You can reach me here, or if you can reach Gizmo and he is available, maybe he will see this.

Thanks,

JPFolks

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks Music Organization
www.justplainfolks.org
JPFolks #265377 06/27/2022 9:25 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Brian, on first glance it looks like you've had this exact problem since at least September 2021.
Prior to that, you had issues with your hosting company (hostbaby) since January 2020.

Your site looks like the result of an incorrectly configured webserver, utility, or 3rd party program which is processing your websites output. It is stripping several required HTML elements ( such as <, >, and " ) from the output, and modifying JavaScript content.

Did the issue first present itself right after a software upgrade? Did you replace all the files as required?

It could be possible that you are also attempting to load a severly outdated library, plugin, or utility on the server backend. possibly even a server scripting configuration or htaccess setting.

Log in to your hosting account and restore the configuration settings to those of when your webpages were displaying correctly. My advice is to contact your webhost for support with this unique issue.

unrelated notes:
you are also attempting to use the 3rd party JavaScript software urchin.js/urchinTracker oin all of your pages. That software has been discontinued (EOL) since 2012. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urchin_(software)

Your installed versions:
UBB.threads 7.6.0 (released 2017)
Smarty 2.6 (PHP 5.4 to 5.6)

Current versions:
UBB.threads 7.7.5 (current)
Smarty 3.1.36 (PHP 5.4 to 7.4)

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
JPFolks #265378 06/28/2022 12:44 PM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Isaac,

Thanks for responding.

]The problem is I have never touched a file or setting on the message board or on the current host. The message board worked fine after it was installed by Gizmo who moved it from the previous host where it had been since 1999 to the current host. No problems occurred and no changes of any kind were made by me or anyone else after that fact. Stablehost also insists that they changed nothing on their end which would have impacted this.

I am happy to hire someone connected to UBB Central to fix whatever the problem is and make any needed updates. I have not installed anything nor have I even made changes to internal settings via the message board's control panel. We have relied on Gizmo's expertise and so the rest of your suggestions are like a foreign language to me. In the history of our board going back to 1999 using UBB, only the original owner and Gizmo have ever serviced it or made any changes as far as I am aware. Gizmo had updated the site into the then current version back in 2020 I believe.

Can anyone at UBB Central service the board? I did file a ticket and Brooks responded. We just want to maintain our archive of 23+ years of our organizations history on the message board. Hopefully Brooks can help us out. I still haven't been able to reach Gizmo.

Thanks again for responding,

JPFolks

Last edited by JPFolks; 06/28/2022 12:45 PM.

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
www.justplainfolks.org
JPFolks #265379 06/28/2022 1:14 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Web server components get updated through the years, especially PHP versions and their libraries. If a configuration from 1999 was ported up to a server running 2022 software, it most certainly can have an affect on the output.

Since this is a user-to-user support forum, and as end users we have no access to any of your servers.

JPFolks #265380 06/28/2022 2:26 PM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Isaac,

I am hoping someone with UBB Central or Gizmo can help as he has in the past. This has been going on since September as I was in the hospital and my wife tried to find help but was unsuccessful. I don't know who else to contact for tech help than the people running this board. No one else has been able to help.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
www.justplainfolks.org
JPFolks #265381 06/28/2022 2:48 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
have you created a support ticket with your valid UBB license information? have you updated to the current supported version of ubbt? have you looked at your htaccess files to see if there is anything out of order? have you cleared your forums cache directories? have you run the ubbtest scripts? what steps have you taken to resolve this? what are your server details? among many others, those would be the next steps to take. the use-to-user forums are supported by end users.

you can start an official support ticket with you valid license here:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/tickets/members.php

JPFolks #265382 06/29/2022 3:42 PM
Did this person ever get any help?
It still appears to be broken.
Hate to see old sites like this go the wayside.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #265383 06/29/2022 3:53 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
Did this person ever get any help?
It still appears to be broken.
Hate to see old sites like this go the wayside.

His last post was about 24hrs ago. Still waiting for him to reply to my request to him for additional server information. I've also directed him to the official customer support form, since this public forum is user-to-user (unpaid/free support). But I dont think he has a valid license, seeing as how he is requesting help for an outdated version of UBB.threads from 2017. Have also asked him to upgrade to the current version of the software, but just like you, I am also waiting for a reply back from him.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 361 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29