Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#267156 07/21/2026 3:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
FYI
version 8.0.1
Info: somehow forums/images/0/attachment folder was changed from chmod 755 to 644
not by me but it happened.
Then over the next 36 hours 30 images was processed as attachments but because of the non writeable folder no imaged was uploaded.
The posts shows a broken link.
I have now change the folder back to chmod 755 and it works again.

Any thoughts what could have cause it to happen?

Last edited by Morgan; 07/21/2026 3:31 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
It happened again!

The Attachment Storage Directory changed chmod 755 to 644 or 666
when it happen no one can add an attachment file because the directory/folder is non writeable.

Do you experienced guys now or understand why it could happen?

I post it here in the bug forum as I don't know if it is a bug or for example a PHP issue. or something eöse for that matter.
Our current PHP Version is 8.3.32. and UBBT version 8.0.1

What I do si manually change Chmod back to 755 and then it works again except for those images that was submitted during the error they don't show because they were never uploaded.

Please advise

Last edited by Morgan; 07/29/2026 8:37 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
We're not aware of any mechanism capable of chmodding files within UBB.threads; if you take a tool such as wingrep and search "chmod" (which is both the command line and PHP command to change permissions) you'll see that no attachment script even makes note of it.

For the time being I'd setup a crontask (hourly?) to chmod your attachments folder 777.
Code
0 * * * * chmod 777 /path/to/public_html/forums/attachments


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Thanks Gizmo for answering, I have addressed the issue in a ticket to my VPS host and we'll see what they answer.


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Gizmo, I forgot to mention that there are several error logs within my forum folder that refers to PHP errors, not sure if I should post everything here. Could I PM it to you for a brief comment? You may find a possible bug or not.. 😅


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
more input Gizmo,
The host said after looking into it again
Quote
Since the other possible ways for permission changes have already been checked - the only remaining one is the PHP code of the website.

any thoughts?


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
You can pm Isaac and I your error logs


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 522 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)