Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
J Offline
Here at work, I've got my lovely dual 20" LCDs at 16x12 apiece. So Threads 7 looks great. Lots of room for everything to go where it needs to be, with nothing looking really squished. However, when I un-maximize the window and resize it to something close to what a 10x7 window would be, everything definitely looks a little cramped - the shoutbox most notably, since its internal scrollbars takes up a good chunk of its available real estate.

My guess is that once I get a copy, and can move everything over into one side or the other (and get rid of all the extra boxes that I don't care about) it won't be quite so bad.

But what about going down even farther? With blogs and a lot of other things, the trend seems to be shrinking widths. And of course, my forums will need to match my blog. The new WordPress theme I'm working on has a content area that's about 600px wide, and a 150px sidebar area. Since Threads seems to be expanding sideways (rather than just throwing a half a page of stats at the bottom of the page, a la Invision) I wonder how well it will work in this sort of implementation. Shrinking the font sizes will be step one, but short of ditching the sidebars altogether, what other ways are there to make Threads fit nicely in a restricted-width design?

---Jamin

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Couple things here. First, as you noted, you can definitely rearrange everything. Move boxes from one side or to the other, turn off one or both columns. This is all done through the control panel.

To take that a step further for sites that really need things narrow. Pretty much all the boxes you see are available for use anywhere on your site just with a simple include. Say you really wanted to have the Calendar, Who's Online and Forum Stats boxes, but you really have no room for sidebars. You could actually do a quick change to one of the templates and include those on every page or maybe just on a few pages.

This isn't something that's built into the control panel, but the way things are designed makes this very flexible with some fairly easy changes. We'll definitely do up some documentation for what needs to be changed to accomplish things like this.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
As a quick demo, I made a couple small changes on my test site, to show you what I mean. This screenshot is from the bottom of my announcements page:

https://www.ubbcentral.com/version7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=298

This took just a couple minutes and only required editing the footer.tpl file to add a few lines to include each box I wanted to include.

J
J Offline
Cool beans. Thanks Rick. smile

---Jamin

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29