Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#359 06/08/2006 7:08 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
member
member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
The who's online side box does not always reflect the current information on the main Who's online.

Right now for example -- I am the only one online and it says 0 registered and 0 anonymous users online in the side box, yet I am on the "details" list.

Is it now everyone else who is online and doesn't count yourself?

Last edited by Rick; 06/19/2006 10:36 AM.
Flyin V #360 06/08/2006 7:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
member
member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
Well now it works, maybe it is just a tad slow to update?
I know I tried refreshing the page to see if it would update before and it didn't smile

Flyin V #361 06/08/2006 7:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Yeah, the who's online in the portal is cached, it updates fairly often, but pretty much all the portal boxes are cached to keep things snappy.

Rick #364 06/08/2006 7:42 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It should be stated that the caching time is also dmin adjustable.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #365 06/08/2006 7:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
The caching time is also dmin adjustable.

Happy now Gizzy? laugh

Rick #385 06/09/2006 3:38 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 171
Likes: 1
member
member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 171
Likes: 1
Out of curiousity, how much of a *load* on the server does Who's Online take up?

I know that with my site, certain options like Who's Online overly taxed the server--which meant that I never turned them on.

~Sue <<-- likes being anonymous but is nosy about who IS online! laugh
adwoff.com

ADWOFF #393 06/09/2006 10:32 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
It's actually very minimal in .threads. It's just a quick db update when you load a page that inserts your last activity, location, etc.

Rick #401 06/09/2006 3:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'd say it would have to be tested on very busy/large forums wink


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)