Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 52
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 52
I'm wondering how much time I need to allow to do the upgrade between 6.3.1 and 6.4.2. I have a very active forum and there are around 700,000 posts and what I am really asking is how long I should expect the altertables to take?

Thanks,

Chuck Weinstock

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
We can't really give a good time estimate since the actual time really depends on your server specs. There are some pretty large database alterations that take place so it's definitely going to take several minutes at least with the amount of posts you have and could be looking between 10-20 even.

If you have access to something like phpmyadmin you can make sure it's still doing it's thing by showing the processlist even if the browser times out.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 52
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 52
Thanks. I have a pretty powerful server but was worried because it
took several hours when I transferred the entire database to a new
server. Altering tables isn't as bad as a transfer but...

Chuck


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phun), 259 guests, and 127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)