Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
Greetings

I guess I am not sure what is happening when I enable spider-friendly URLs for the forum. What exactly is making these pages spider-friendly? There are no meta tags being created within the html code (which most if not all major spiders utilize to index/list site pages), though i do see a <title> tag with "forum name: topic name". Is the presence of the title what we mean by spider friendly?

Also, regarding the "fake" html extension, how is this being written in the browser's (and spider's) address bar? I see that no actual html file exists, so the fake html extension must be rendered each time the page is called. I am wondering whether there is significant processor overhead if I add this extra rendering process for each page load.

thanks much

sdf

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Spiders don't like the break codes on url's such as ;. The spider friendly URL's in turn remap the code to show them as directories according to how their being loaded.

The fake extension is being loaded by the coding; all of the parsing of where the data is is being done through ultimatebb.php/cgi.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Also, I hven't seen any large overhead on my board, which is fairly busy.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
thanks gizmo!

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It's not a problem. You may need to play with the spider settings, with my forum I have to have the compatability option on, short urls, and fake html all on.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 407 guests, and 105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)