Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#87292 03/29/2004 9:01 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
Hi

Please accept my apologies if this has been asked and answered previously. I've looke at some previous posts but can't quite find the information to suit my situation.

We are still using UBB version 5.45c.

Up until now, we have not made the IP addresses visible to users.

I would like to know if there is a way to to warn people first and have it appear on new posts only.

If not, would it be an alternative option to archive everything from a particular forum? Looking at a forum we have archived, I can't see the 'IP Logged' link.

Basically, I'd like the users to start with a clean slate.

Also I'd appreciate any advice on the security issues for users if the IP addresses are visible.

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
If you are concerned about security, it might be a good idea to upgrade to 6.7, as there have been a number of security fixes since 5.x series.

Personally, on my forums, I use the same method here at UBBCentral. IP Addresses are logged, but only Admins and Mods can see them. I don't like the idea of visible IP addresses because dishonest people can use that information to their advantage, or try to exploit/DOS a user that cheeses them off.


Charles Capps
Former UBB.classic Maintainer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yeh, myself if all the sudden my IP address started showing up on the board I'd feel obligated to never visit the forum again... It's just a privacy issue of mine... I don't mind admin's or mod's seeing it, just any old joe who stumbles upon it who's playing with smurf.c is the person I don't wnat to even deal with... I've burnt out 3 cable modems because of issues like this :/...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 156 guests, and 140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)