Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 27
I
newbie
newbie
I Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 27
I guess my board has grown beyond the 100MB limit my ISP has allowed me. Seems hard to believe since my message board is somewhat small...but I guess it is. So now I need to do some maintenance to pare it down a bit...can anyone give some good advice on what to do?

I have never pruned topics...is that what I need to do? When I do that do they disappear forever?

Will clearing the cache help?

And I recently did some exporting of member files and posts...can I delete the the txt files in the Import/Export directory?

As always thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!
Mark

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Clearing the cache will only temporarily help the space problem as it will rebuild itself.

Assuming you are on the current version:

- Delete inactive Members (I start with the 0 post members first)
- Prune some topics old topics, if there are ones you wish to keep, create an archive forum. Pruned topics are gone forever.

If you don't want to do either of those, consider getting a higher disk quota or move to a host with more space.


Charles Capps
Former UBB.classic Maintainer
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 27
I
newbie
newbie
I Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 27
Thanks Ron.

If I create the archive forum, I'm assuming it will take up the same amount of space...is that correct?

Do you know if there is a way from the control panel to determine how much space is being used by the forum? (Maybe by forum #?) That would be nice if I could see at a glance what was being used...instead of trying to determine it through my FTP software, but I do not see anything in the control panel that will do that...

Is 100MB considered small, average, large, etc... for a UBB Classic board? Just wondering how much extra space I can figure on purchasing.

Thanks again.
Mark

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Archived topics take the same amout of space as regular topics.

The space depends mainly on the number of topics, forums, and users that you are willing to keep around.

Off hand, I don't know of a good way to determine how large the forums are sizewise.

Regarding how much additional space to purchase, I personally, am using about 218MB of my 500MB (reading from my Plesk), for my UBB, my custom PHP dev stuff (both production and beta), the MySQL database, and all images, extra files, personal storage.


Charles Capps
Former UBB.classic Maintainer
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
And I recently did some exporting of member files and posts...can I delete the the txt files in the Import/Export directory?

YES! According to CC, your export takes up about as much space as your board, meaning deleting that could get you 50MB back

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
100 megs of disk space is small; at HostNuke that's like $9/mo.

If you have exported files go prune those first as they can double your boards space (I believe the documentation even sais that).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 552 guests, and 89 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)