Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
Hiya. I recently became the webmaster for Skirt Magazine and running the forums is part of the job. Only problem? Our parent company seems to have had nothing to do with setting up the forums, nor do they seem to know how to access the cgi folder or other files on the forum server.

As a result, I can't make changes to the FAQ (there are all sorts of incorrect links on the page because the previous person obviously didn't bother to check them) or any other template files and I really need to be able to do this.

Does anyone have any idea how I should go about getting access to these files? I'm completely familiar with mucking about in my cgi and template folders (I use Moveable Type for my own website), I just need to get access to them. Our parent company, who houses our site on their servers, has been NO help whatsoever in helping me figure this out. They kind of suck sometimes.

The forum address is http://forums.skirtmag.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb.cgi

Thanks, in advance, for any help you might be able to offer!

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
You should definitely consider upgrading this board to 6.7.2. Besides having the latest features and security fixes, you will have the ability to update the FAQ via your cp.cgi

Your cgi directory is /cgi-bin/bb/ in the subdirectory, and your templates are in /bb/Templates

If you are unable to get the upgrade, you can look at /bb/Templates/public_faq.pl.

Hope that Helps some.


Charles Capps
Former UBB.classic Maintainer
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
Thanks for the quick response, Ron. Much appreciated. I'll check with the parent company and see if we can get the upgrade. So if we upgrade to 6.7.2, I should be able to FTP into the forums folders and muck about with the templates? Because that would be awesome.

At this point, though, I can't even find out where the bloody forums are hosted and the parent company's tech department is totally useless. Their response when I asked about controlling the boards was: "Boards? What're 'boards'? Y'all have forums? Wow." No kidding.

They're definitely not hosted on our servers. I've FTPd into our root folder and there are all sorts of site folders in there, including the folders for the other publications, but no board files in the cgi-bin. So I can definitively say that they're not hosted by the parent company.

Sooooo frustrating.

Thanks again, Ron.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 613
Likes: 6
Yes, you can muck with the templates, but to change the FAQ in the latest version, you don't need to make any changes. These boards are running a slightly modified template to get the sidebars on here.

The forums subdomain is either in /forums, /subdomains/forums, or under its own FTP account from what I normally see/use.

I don't know if this helps with any cluse as to where the forums.skirtmag.com is hosted, but here is some information about it: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=forums.skirtmag.com

You should also head over to www.networksolutions.com and WHOIS skirtmag.com for some information.


Charles Capps
Former UBB.classic Maintainer

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)