I'm thinking of an idea to create a form where forum members could enter information about the vehicles that they own. Another page would allow them to search a database for members located within x miles of them or search for the year, make, and/or model of vehicle they own and view their location relative to nearby members on a map (integrating with a mapping database.)

I'm wondering if I can query the forum db to log them into the form before they can enter information? IOW, they would not necessarily have to be logged into the forum, but if they were logged in to the forum, I could verify that before they could successfully enter data into the fields of the form.

This would require them to enter their credentials in the form page, then pass that information to the forum db, and then somehow get an answer back that the login was successful or that it failed or that they were already logged in.

Is this possible? Does UBB have any APIs for doing this?

I know how to query the db to get their email address and display name given their member number, but I'm trying to avoid having to create a separate login just for this app. I would not want anyone who is not a forum member be able to enter information or query the db.

If you prefer to respond to this off list, that's fine. Just send me an email.