Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
We have the same problem as discussed on this thread -- we are getting spammed like crazy by spammers using the "Report Post" option.

For now, I disabled the Report Post option...BUT WE ARE STILL GETTING MORE 'REPORT POST' SPAMS! mad

The "Report Post" spams constantly reference the same [valid] post. I would prefer not to delete the referenced post, but if that's what it takes to end the spam.

We are still using UBB 6.5, BTW...we plan on having Groupee host our boards for us in near future, and we have few IT resources available now. I am hoping some UBB maintenance procedure can put an end to this...

HELP, and TIA.
Mikey

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just remove the donotifymod.php script. They are probably calling it directly and I don't think that had a check within the script in older versions, it just removed the option from the post.

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Thanks Rick, we'll remove that script. Much appreciated.

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Rick, our IT person with *some* Linux capabilities could not find the donotifymod.php script file. If you can give us some idea where we should find it, I'd appreciate it.

By early 2007 we'll be ready to outsource our online community to Groupee...any help in meantime much appreciated.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
should be in the root of your forum smile

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Thanks, I am sure this should be drop-dead easy, but our UBB Classic 6.5 is on Unix and our one Unix guy is no longer here.

Anyway, necessity is the mother of invention, so I may have solved the problem myself:

All of our spams sent to us via "Report Post" referenced the same [valid] topic and posting. I assume that the spammer saved the "Report Post" URL and it was still functional even after I disabled the Report Post option on the board.

So, I closed the board and moved the entire topic to another board, deleting the original topic, and then moved it back again, yielding a new topic ID. The old topic URL is now invalid.

Since I did this this morning, I have had no more spams (as opposed to receiving easily 50 per day!) So it seems to have worked at least as of now.

I still plan to keep the Report Post option disabled, but, again using only UBB Classic 6.5 features, I rejiggered the UBBFriend feature to do double duty as a way for members to report truly inappropriate posts as well as just sending a topic to a friend.

I revised the ubb_friend_intro Email WordLet entry to include instructions on how to use the feature to email us the page if it has an offensive post on it (including correct email address to insert on the page), plus edited the UBBFriend Primary WordLet entry to specify to click here to email this page to report an inappropriate post, or simply email this page to a friend.

Kludgey, sure, but I believe it solves the problem using existing UBB Classic 6.5 functionality smile

Last edited by Mikey; 10/30/2006 5:39 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
FYI, if you're having a UBB.Classic issue, you shouldn't post in the UBB.Threads forums wink...

You could technically nuke the report_post block from ultimatebb.cgi to nuke the option completely.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
[quote=Gizmo]FYI, if you're having a UBB.Classic issue, you shouldn't post in the UBB.Threads forums wink...

D'OH! Sorry about that

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol its fine, i posted on your other thread wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,144 guests, and 193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29