Features
Documentation
Pricing & Order
Members Area
Support Options
UBBDev.com
UBBWiki.com
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Featured Member
Top Posters (30 Days)
Gizmo 20
id242 12
Ruben 10
Mark S 9
Mitch P. 5
PacCowboy 3
Yarp™ 2
sundance 2
Bert 2
Cuervo 2
Latest Photos
Welcome to poet
Uhm...
Mayan End of World
Gas Station Disco Video Shoot
Test Pictures
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#219489 - 11/20/08 07:28 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
JAISP Offline
old hand
And how fair would that be?

If the UI was winning and someone suggested that you wouldn't be to happy right?
Express Hosting
Express Hosting "We are the official hosting company of UBB.threads. Ask us about our free migration services to migrate your UBB.threads installation."
#219490 - 11/20/08 07:29 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: JAISP]
Ruben Offline

Loc: Lutz,FL
Agree!
Just having some fun with this.
I just want some existing features enhanced. I really don't care what the outcome of this poll is.

There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
#219491 - 11/20/08 07:38 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Ruben]
gliderdad Offline
Loc: NY
It was a joke, just having fun. It don't matter to me if blogs come as we wouldn't use it. I voted for UI as its only makes sense to do that first.
#219496 - 11/21/08 08:56 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: gliderdad]
Rick Offline
Post-a-holic
Loc: Aberdeen, WA
It's looking that way. It won't delay the UI update all that long. Like I said, our blog implementation will be fairly basic at first, so we're not talking about a 3 month development cycle for this one wink
#219498 - 11/21/08 09:47 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
canecutter Offline
journeyman
Rick

Please don't avoid the Integration/Open ID discussion being that the blogs won. If you mention it in another post please point me there. If not can you give a statement on if this is in the future plans for the software. It would probably help many us with our planning in the future year.
#219499 - 11/21/08 11:29 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
smallufo Offline
enthusiast
Loc: Taiwan
Originally Posted By: Rick
Like I said, our blog implementation will be fairly basic at first

Mmmm... I want to "revoke" my vote for blog.

I think a simple blog system doesn't appeal to users any more now , because users are "spoiled" by many OpenSource and fancy blog systems.

WordPress has a lot of plugins to 'play' with. The WordPress ecosystem is much larger than UBBThreads .
UBBThreads should think to leverage the ecosystem to expand site's functionality , not to re-invent the wheel.

I think UBBThreads have many other important features needed to be implemented (UI / WYSIWYG editor / ... ) , all focus on forum . As to features beyond forum ( Blog / Chatroom / Album / other plugins ...) , there are already myriads of mature solutions out there. Since OpenID is a promising technology about identity confirmation , data exchange , UBBThreads should seriously look into it , it will help you reduce a lot of "wheel"

There is a Chinese proverb "Person who complains a merchandise is the one that really buys it". I have many complains about UBBT (especially the slow develop process , advice acceptance) , but I also have supported UBBThreads since WWWThreads.perl ,in fact , I just renewed the license yesterday. I know "Open" is the only key to make a site strong and vital. I hope Rick can think and think again.

Sincerely

English is not my native language.
I try my best to express my thought precisely.
I hope you understand what I mean.
If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps , I apologize first.
#219500 - 11/21/08 12:22 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: smallufo]
JAISP Offline
old hand
I personally do not care anymore if they do Blogs or the IU. If I like the product I will buy it and support it, if not I will just buy something else. There are many companies out there that make products that will fit my needs either being UBB or someone other company.
#219509 - 11/21/08 05:54 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
Pink Jazz Offline
enthusiast
Loc: Rio Rancho, NM
Originally Posted By: Rick
It's looking that way. It won't delay the UI update all that long. Like I said, our blog implementation will be fairly basic at first, so we're not talking about a 3 month development cycle for this one wink

So, the next version should be version 7.5, and version 8.0 with the UI update should come shortly afterward.
#219530 - 11/23/08 07:31 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Pink Jazz]
QSS Tim Offline

journeyman
Loc: Oroville, CA
I think it boils down to whether you want this to continue to be bulletin board software, or if you are trying to move into CMS space. I say continue to make it a better bulletin board software (one we've been paying for since 2000 and recently purchased Gold for), and leave the "other" stuff for the existing packages that folks can already get. Do one thing and do it best.
#219531 - 11/23/08 08:59 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: QSS Tim]
Gizmo Offline

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
thats why i want to push for an API and better UI tongue...
VNC Web Design & Development: Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
#219532 - 11/23/08 09:05 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Gizmo]
gliderdad Offline
Loc: NY
I couldn't agree more, I would hate to see it go into cms territory.
#219533 - 11/23/08 09:54 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: QSS Tim]
Island Piper Offline
Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: QSS Tim
I think it boils down to whether you want this to continue to be bulletin board software, or if you are trying to move into CMS space. I say continue to make it a better bulletin board software (one we've been paying for since 2000 and recently purchased Gold for), and leave the "other" stuff for the existing packages that folks can already get. Do one thing and do it best.

Well put! That has been my feeling all along. I inherited a UBB board and I also run phpBB (which I'm eager to switch to UBB once the importer is ready for v3).

If you put some resources toward developing a decent API you will build your customer base simply by providing a means for the end user to plug in what they want/need most.
#219534 - 11/23/08 10:36 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Island Piper]
Gizmo Offline

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
See, the one thing I was excited about when I heard about the anouncement of UBB.T7 (when CC was on board) was that they where going to lean towards an API (back when they where thinking of encoding the sourcecode); I hope upon hopes that eventually we have something in place to build upon... It'd be excellent for addons and tie ins to other products...
VNC Web Design & Development: Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
#219535 - 11/24/08 03:06 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: QSS Tim]
Ian Offline
Loc: Essex, UK
Problem is you also have to compete against other products. So you either follow a similar route or produce something that the competitors do not have.

Sadly a simple forum software is probably not going to cut it in today's marketplace with free products available.

Surely at the end of a day a forum is just one part of a community, and we all need to attract and keep users who are looking for a bit more than just a forum. Even forum admins have competitors and if we also do not stay ahead of the game we too will lose business.
#219538 - 11/24/08 07:30 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Ian]
JAISP Offline
old hand
The thing I do not like about the UBB is that as more things gets added the control panel takes on more stuff and takes tons of time to do the most simple things, if you can figure out where to find the part you need to do it in.

If you add a forum you need to go to many places and edit existing permissions in your CP. If you have a large site this takes forever and you always forget something.

Adding a manual into the software per say that you can run your mouse over and click on to find out how to set a function is great with that type instruction however it will not help you find out how to get there. You need to be an expert or a rocket scientist just to administer the thing anymore.

I feel even with the added little "hints" aka know as a "manual" in this format will not help the product at all .I my self practically gave up on Blogs even though I want them very badly and are looking for a different Blog software at this time as I feel it will be so hard to find the proper places to set up the stuff in the control panel.

Now as far as the UI upgrade and update this will make matters even worse in this area. Yes this is a fine product but unless you make a manual that you can put in a PDF format and print out on paper nothing you do will make it easier to administer, find the proper stuff, or even make the control panel better. This is why I voted for blogs over the UI upgrade and overhaul.

Rick your a great guy and a really good programmer but the problem in this is the inability to call you and discuss anything with you these days. In past times an intelligent person could actually get you on the phone and talk to you. Since you no longer go to the office other then putting in a support ticket or trying to express your problem in a public forum typing takes days where a simple phone call would take minutes.

I love the product and Rick is great however in recent times it has become very difficult to operate or figure out to get things done. Once again a 15 minute phone call would save a weeks time in communications with you Rick. Hire someone to be your go between.
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  AllenAyres, Ian, Ron M 
Shout Box

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Topics
Stop Forum Spam questions
by Steve C
Today at 12:50 AM
Shareaholic : Hidden topics ?
by Mark S
10/18/14 01:49 PM
Problem upgrading from 7.5.7 to 7.5.8 Up to date ?
by Mark S
10/16/14 03:01 PM
Member Management and Registration Queue
by Bert
10/12/14 05:18 PM
Feature Request: Image Library Fallback
by Gizmo
10/10/14 05:10 PM
Forum Stats
11481 Members
36 Forums
34524 Topics