I recently upgraded my license to UBB.threads and I personnaly do not care for the look and feel of threads. I am still running my board on the UBB.clasic, because I can't add the functionality I require. I have set up UBB.threads 6.0 br1 to see what I thought and really am not pleased. threadsdev.com just seems way behind ubbdev.com. I am no php programmer, so adding the hacks I have on UBB.classic is not possible by me. I don't see anything at threadsdev.com that is even close.

There are some hacks I cannot live without and keep me from switching to threads for my site. The main one is the UBB code hack. I have over 40 hacks installed on my UBB.classic, because, quite frankly the default functionality, look and feel just don't cut it for my needs.

The layout for Threads needs to more closely resemble UBB.classic. When posting a new topic in threads, the page in my humble opinion looks like it was thrown together in 2 minutes and by a html newbie at that. The UBB Code links look cheesy, as well as the color picker. The box for posting is small, and there is no nice table layout like there is in classic or open topic.

I personnaly want my UBB.classic license back, but my host complained about the cpu useage of my UBB.classic, so I had to move it to my linux server and run it off my DSL line from my house, I upgraded to threads to enable me to put it back on my host, but without major help hacking threads, I am stuck up a creek without a paddle.

Oh, and another point I am confused about.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="">quote:</font><hr /><font size="" face="">Originally posted by AllenAyres:
Oh yes, v6 supports gzip (if installed on the server), so bandwidth should be improved tremendously, tho I don't think benchmarks have been done yet.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="" face="">UBB.classic supports zlib compression and gzip, so bandwidth improvement between classic and threads will be miminmal I would think. I would say the big savings of threads over classic is server resources due to php and mysql. I want to convert to threads, because some of the features are nice, and in all honesty, I like some of threads features, but until I can make it do what I need, I will have to stay where I am at.

I would say if you don't have a lot of hacks on your UBB.classic or you can live without them, then upgrading to threads is a good choice, but if your like me and cannot operate your board without some of the hacks available to UBB.classic users, I would seriously think twice before I upgrade.

Just my two cents worth, which in reality and with inflation these days is only worth about .5 cents, but take it for what you want.

[This message was edited by MrStormyNights on April 27, 2002 at 10:06 AM.]