I'm not sure what the main disagreement here is. Yes, you can install into the same directory, but it's usually easiest and the customers have wanted us to install into a new directory. You have the option of doing it either way.

Even though this is still called UBB.threads it is essentially a new product. It's a combination of .classic and .threads. Which is why we have to actually import the data into it. All of our prior upgrades have been done by installing into the same directory. This is the first and more than likely the last time this will ever happen.

Because so much has changed, most people want the old software to still run as well as the new software for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Again, like I said, how it's installed is up to the user. I wouldn't recommend the average user to do an install into the same directory as it gets complicated and you'll end up with no way to go back to your old board and see how things looked, etc. I always ask how the customer wants it installed when doing upgrades, so it's not forced on anyone.

Personally, I rather like the option. It always bugs me when you do an upgrade and you have no way to go back to look at the old install again...kinda like when upgrading from IE6 to IE7.

But anyway, it's a one time thing. As you can see with the upgrades from 7.0 to 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 they are done in place as all of our other upgrades have been except for the 6.x -> 7