Originally Posted by Bill B
Guys, I'm having real trouble with seeing the value of this upgrade. Mood symbols?? You've got to be kidding. What VALUE does that add?

My users want to be able to
--Search beyond ONE YEAR
--Use Spellchecker
--Upload member photos

and I want to be able to
--see an interactive list of all Islands and where they are posted
--add/edit calendar items easier
--have more member admin functions
--post external islands anywhere within a domain

Real value, not superficial modifications.

Admittedly I'm getting my info from the announcement listing, not from any beta test experience.

Now, the CAPTCHA seems useful - as most security features are, but all in all, "Where's the Beef?"

I tend to agree about the mood thingy - maybe if I was 30 years younger I'd be excited, although I do rather like the "online" indicator function they provide.

But to be fair, there have been some important improvements since 7.0, most notably the post-tracking improvements and certainly the CAPTCHA is exceedingly valuable. As for searching beyond 1 year - as someone already pointed out that can be set in CP to any period of time you want (but remember, the longer the period you allow the more load on your SQL server).

All that being said, however, I'm not a big fan of bells and whistles for the sake of bells and whistles. I want features that would be of interest to (and used by) my members. To be honest, before I opted to go with Threads 7, I had been evaluating another, relatively recent forum product and in fact hold a license for that "other" product. Ultimately, the other product had more "bells and whistles" than Threads 7, but I decided that many of those bells and whistles were not really useful to my members, just gee-whiz stuff that probably would amuse the admin more than be of use to members. Thus, I opted for Threads 7 instead.

Basil