Okay, I just got roped into administrating an existing forum. I'm familiar with a few of the open source bulletin boards, but am a complete newbie here.

We're running 6.5.2 - dated, I know. An upgrade is fine if it'll help with my problem.

1st, anyone know if this version had a built in portal page option? Would I have to create one by hand and link to the boards? Would an upgrade make that a control panel feature?

2nd, my reason for thinking a portal is the way to go... We have one board open to the public - and it's an overview of the forum and invitation to join. The rest are locked down, visible to members only. Our member list is also set to be visible to members only... However, anyone that's on the open board can click "Who's online" and view active members. We want that locked down so that only members with access can view it.

I'm guessing the problem is that they have access to a board, and so they have access to everything off of that board. As a result, every new member is currently being set to "invisible" by an admin when they're approved for access...

This is a forum for an industry insider group - hence the paranoia! Any suggestions???

Thanks!