Originally Posted by gizmo
Curious what advantages you're seeking over using the built in SEO methods in threads...
It's to do with "duplicate content" (give it a Google).

If you have dynamic pages that can be generated in more than one way - as described in my last post - then the search engines (in particular Google) can and do interpret this as two distinct pages on your site with duplicated content. This can, and does, lead to two distinct SE listings, with two completely separate page ranks and sets of incoming links, all for the exact same content. The result is watered down SE listings at best, or in the worst cases even listing penalties for duplication. frown

Google do assert that they have this covered, and that their algorithms take the issue into account. They suggest that their algorithm "chooses" one of the addresses, and bases results on that. The bottom line is, that's just not true!

Our main forum page had two distinct page ranks based on the access URI: forums/ or forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb/cfrm. Besides, even if Google DID manage to "choose" one URL to concentrate on, who's to say that they'll choose the one you want?! smirk

The existing 'Threads SEO works great at what it does, but it doesn't deal with the duplication issue. This is the kind of thing I'm starting to tackle, and I'll post back here on any progress I make.

Of course, if anyone else wants to throw in it'd be appreciated! Particularly, it'd be useful to know, if anyone has them, the query string patterns going back quite a few versions of 'Threads, because we've been running it for nearly 10 years and some of our incoming links actually still remain from way back then! shocked

As I said before, I guess I can fish all this out of the 'Threads PHP if necessary, but it's an arduous task to confront a lowly coder all alone in his attic... wink