In keeping with Rick's suggestion to take part in the direction of Version 8 I decided it would be a good time to write up and post my wish list. I'm liking the changes Rick's posted about so far, would love to see these too:

1) If "Allow [img] tag in posts?" isn't enabled in the Control Panel then don't display the image tag button/shortcut on the posting form.

2) Reinstate the display of user signatures on profiles (was in 7.3.1, don't know when it was removed).

3) Provide users a preference setting for the default age of displayed threads, as was available in some earlier version(s) of UBBT.

4) Provide user preference setting for the size (columns and rows) of the post field on the posting form, as existed in some earlier version(s) of UBBT.

5) When someone has the "By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?" preference set to Yes and adds a user to his Watched Users, then automatically set email notification for that watched user to "Where a new post is created" (as happens when adding a forum to Watched Forums).

6) When a user has the "By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?" preference set to Yes, then have "Add this topic to my Watched Topics" (when posting a new topic) and "Add this thread to my Watched Topics" (when posting a reply) checked by default.

7) A minor change related to #6: go with either "Add this topic to my Watched Topics" or "Add this thread to my Watched Topics" so the wording of the option is consistent whether posting a topic or a reply. (Yeah, it's a little thing, but the inconsistency contributes to user confusion over whether there's a difference between a topic and a thread.)

8) Remove the "Mark as Edited?" option from the Edit Post page so that when a post is edited that action is always publicly noted, or provide a setting in the CP for admins to enable/disable that option.

9) Disallow user editing of posts that have been replied to, or provide admin option to implement such a restriction.

10) Give admins the option to disable user ability to change the subject of replies. (Admins and mods might still need to be able to change the subject of replies, for instance when merging topics/posts.)

11) Change the function of "Rename this topic" to allow renaming the topic post and all replies in one step.

12) Change the FAQ so that each question/section can be directly linked to.

13) When viewing the thread list in a forum, show some sort of indicator on threads I've posted in.

14) Widen the box that html/php/sql/code tagged content is displayed in so a longer string can be posted without the horizontal scroll bar kicking in. I believe 62 characters is the current maximum before scrolling becomes necessary, would 80 be doable?

15) Allow user replies to global announcements.

16) In referer logs, show the user/visitor IP number connected to each referer.

17) Admin option to display post counts only on profiles (IOW, not in the author info box on posts).

18) Provide a configuration of private message permissions/settings so that admins/mods can PM each other and users, and users can PM admins/mods, but users can't PM each other.

19) Provide an option in the control panel for admins to set up their registration so that users enter only one ID name. (We've found many users don't understand the difference between username and display name...and I have to admit I've never understood the reason for having 2 names associated with each user myself either.)

20) When users opt for email notification on a watched topic, give them the option to either receive emails of each new post (current system) or to receive an email for the first new post in a thread but no other emails for that thread until they visit it again.

Last edited by Rascal; 11/16/2009 2:01 PM. Reason: added #20

Running UBB.threads 7.5.5 as of May 23 2010