I understand all that and have had forums and servers getting 10,000+ attacks a day on the SSH alone and all kinds of other attacks. I use passwords like "e78pks8be7" and so on for my stuff including accounts that are pretty much nothing accounts on my systems. No that is not a passowrd I have ever used or ever will by the way.
But my point was that no matter what users always start out with I've been attacked or I was hacked and so on without trying to understand what the message means.
If someone "hacked" or "attacked" a server or site I seriously think they wouldn't just stop at severing your database connection. They would be replacing your index pages, putting all kinds of crap on your site or board, putting forwards on your site to their site, injecting viruses through your site, or deleting everything and so on.