I did go obtain Beyond compare and checked all server files against the originals. I did not find any corrupt files. I did find many directories and files with improper permissions during the audit process. These permissions were addressed and when I run the permissions check (from CP) everything is indicated as OK.
I´m still chasing down this issue and think that maybe the directories for Admin, importers, libs, scripts and ubb_js do not have correct file permissions set. These do not seem to be looked at with the CP permissions check. Should all of these directories be 775 and files within 664? I have reviewed the install directions and read nothing in reference to permissions in these directories.
I still receive database connection errors several times a day and my server tech support insist the issues are software related and not connected with their service. The situation has improved slightly and at least the forums do function so my stress is low.
Thanks for the advice
Jay