Edit. The following was being typed as SirDude and Gizmo responded.

That last is not exactly correct according to my understanding.

A topic such as this can lead to a bit of a mind twister. Excuse me if the following starts to sound like circle logic. crazy

If you log off on your last visit, you do not have the cookie set on your computer that keeps you logged in.

Thus even IF an admin becomes you via the control panel and does not log "you" off, it does not matter to your perspective. Or more accurately, your computer's perspective.

You will still need to log in when next you visit as you do not have the cookie set that keeps you logged in.

However, this is a bit moot. As the unscrupulous Admin who becomes a user for the purpose of reading PMs will need to log off so that they can log back in as their self to have their normal access.

Clear as mud?

Another aspect is that when an admin becomes a member, it will show to all the other members that you are logged in. It could get back to you that you were seen logged in at that time when you know you were not. Further, if you were to look, you could also see when you were last logged in and know that the time/date is not correct.

Bert,

I know what you mean about defeating the purpose of a PM. Perhaps I show my nature by using an example of bad-mouthing someone. It might well have been some other example where you would not want the info to enter the public domain even if not derogatory.

Still, it is the nature of online forums that you really need to be careful of what you disclose even in a PM. There is no reasonable expectation that the admin of any given forum is an IT professional with strong ethics. This is not to say that only IT professionals have ethics, nor do I contend that all IT folks are ethical.

A side note is that I am constantly amazed at what folks will reveal on a forum totally out in the open. I myself am just a tad more circumspect.

My point is that I never disclose something on a forum that I do not control if I would not want the communication to be viewed by others. If you have something where privacy is tantamount, take it to a medium you have more confidence in.

Lecture mode off. smile

Last edited by Mike L; 11/14/2011 7:21 PM.