i'll have to eat some crow here.

Bella was right in many respects, that InnoDB helps with speed.

I still stand by the fact that more RAM can never hurt, however.

From what I've just tested, there are 2 tables that will show an immediate increase in speed, if you convert to InnoDB

ubbt_FORUM_LAST_VISIT and ubbt_USER_DATA

it doesn't hurt to convert the other USER tables too, but they don't have constant r/w access like the 1st two.

given what Bella did and what I've now seen in terms of load/speed impact, we'll be transitioning to InnoDB for many tables where it will help.

Going to InnoDB exclusively probably won't happen til mysql 5.6, where FULLTEXT is addressed ( think search done right, finally )

So, kudos to Bella for blazing the trail and literally doing bleeding edge stuff wink

You deserve to be commended.

I will be posting on my blog a lot of the geek stuff that is additional ( my.cnf stuff ) to make it even better.

Most of that info came from Tom Walsh @ Express Hosting ( highly recommended!! )

If you want hosting done right for your forum(s), Express Hosting is the place to go...

He / They, now their stuff when it comes to cPanel / WHM servers and Linux in general.

</end eating crow mode> laugh